Officially releasing Namecore

Namecoin, NMControl
phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Officially releasing Namecore

Post by phelix » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:33 pm

fyi: namehistory for me made a difference of about 175MiB (@ height ~ 244737)
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Officially releasing Namecore

Post by phelix » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:07 pm

Do I understand the current status correctly that there are not Linux binaries yet?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

josephbisch
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:34 pm
os: linux

Re: Officially releasing Namecore

Post by josephbisch » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:22 am

phelix wrote:Do I understand the current status correctly that there are not Linux binaries yet?
Sort of correct. There were just the binaries that were made for the OpenSSL consensus issue, but none were made since then, and Domob did a lot during that time. So new binaries should be made.

We could use a tagged version on GitHub, so that we have some consistent commit to work off of for not only the various platforms, but also for the various builders building reproducibly.

domob
Posts: 1117
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Officially releasing Namecore

Post by domob » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:37 pm

josephbisch wrote:We could use a tagged version on GitHub, so that we have some consistent commit to work off of for not only the various platforms, but also for the various builders building reproducibly.
I'm open for tagged commits (signed by me), but I think we need a "plan" to decide which ones to tag. I'm planning on branching off a "stable" version when Bitcoin does that for 0.12. For now, we could simply tag "one random" commit. We could also create a "0.11.9" (or something) branch for a release before that, but then people need to commit time testing that particular release. Should we do that?
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

erkan
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:52 am
os: linux

Re: Officially releasing Namecore

Post by erkan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:23 pm

>but then people need to commit time testing that particular release. Should we do that?
Are there existing test plans/cases ?

domob
Posts: 1117
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Officially releasing Namecore

Post by domob » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:25 am

erkan wrote:>but then people need to commit time testing that particular release. Should we do that?
Are there existing test plans/cases ?
Of course, there are both unit and regression tests in place. I actually run them before even pushing any changes, so that all published commits "should" be good with respect to them. For an official release, I would expect that actual users try the software out in the wild in addition. (Otherwise, everyone can just take the newest commit and run the unit tests instead of asking for releases.)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Officially releasing Namecore

Post by biolizard89 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:06 pm

domob wrote:
josephbisch wrote:We could use a tagged version on GitHub, so that we have some consistent commit to work off of for not only the various platforms, but also for the various builders building reproducibly.
I'm open for tagged commits (signed by me), but I think we need a "plan" to decide which ones to tag. I'm planning on branching off a "stable" version when Bitcoin does that for 0.12. For now, we could simply tag "one random" commit. We could also create a "0.11.9" (or something) branch for a release before that, but then people need to commit time testing that particular release. Should we do that?
My opinion is that releasing official Namecoin binaries that are not based on official Bitcoin release tags is sufficiently risky that we should avoid it. We did so for the OpenSSL consensus bug because it was an emergency, but we later found some nasty bugs in those binaries (wizkid from Eligius ran into problems with the wallet code and mining code, which Daniel traced to a bug in upstream Bitcoin master Git).

I would suggest doing what Daniel suggests: branch off of a Bitcoin stable release for our stable releases. The Bitcoin Core devs do an absolutely phenomenal job at QA testing, which we simply do not have the resources to match.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Officially releasing Namecore

Post by phelix » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:18 am

I just needed a binary for the API server. Getting the existing binary from Google was a huge pita so I put a copy up here: https://namecoin.org/files/namecoin-0.1 ... x32.tar.gz

Works fine on 64bit Debian so far.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

Post Reply