NMControl-Hyperion

Namecoin, NMControl
phelix

NMControl-Hyperion

Post by phelix »

This is an experimental NMControl Windows branch with a bunch of my latest patches.

2015-03-17
* It now uses the new experimental API server https://api.namecoin.org by default. This means it works without a Namecoin client running locally. Note that we could track your requests and IP address.
* Installer can now configure your system to automatically start NMControl on startup

2015-01-30: Updated installer to automatically configure system DNS. Tested on Windows 8.1. Please let me know whether it works on Windows 7 (should in theory) or lower (probably not). Thanks to biolizard89 for figuring out the registry stuff!
This means you only need to have a synced Namecoind / Namecoin-Qt running and NMControl-Hyperion installed and you will be able to view .bit domains.

Featuring:
* Installer autostart option
* Installer configures registry to redirect all .bit DNS requests to the local NMControl DNS server
(Works only on Windows 8. On earlier Windows versions you need to point your system DNS to
127.0.0.1 and edit the conf files with your DNS server - Google DNS is default atm!)
* uses a proper configuration file folder ini %appdata%
* installer
* systray icon
* splash screen (to know it launched)
* httpGui callable via systray
* A simple local name browser

installer: http://blockchained.com/stuff/NMControl_v0.8_setup.exe
installer sha256: 8e8d69801d6beca3f7a80fbb1c3edad0229fe65c90d76aa3e8d242a90a1c5064

source: https://github.com/phelixnmc/nmcontrol/ ... l-hyperion

You are welcome to create plugins that use the httpGui. It should be fairly easy just take a look at the existing httpGui modules.

Notes:
* I will change the design to the official Namecoin logo once I find the time.
* It creates an output.log file in the folder %APPDATA%/NMControl that contains the console output to help debug.
* You can enable verbose output.log by starting from the command line with --debug=1

heavily edited post
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix

Re: NMControl-Hyperion

Post by phelix »

Updated with automatic system DNS config (thanks biolizard89!).

Please test.

johnc

Post by johnc »

Wooow, after filling up my .conf file and changing my dns to localhost.

it works !

Windows 7 x64, sp1, latest updates and AV.

*update: i was browsing as usual and all dns resolution seems to crash randomly, even if the interface is working, until quit and restart nmcontrol.
where can i see the logs? post if you have the same problem.

Edited as 18/02/2015
Last edited by johnc on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

johnc wrote:Wooow, after filling up my .conf file and changing my dns to localhost.

it works !

Windows 7 x64, sp1, latest updates and AV.

*update feens.bit loads fine. but it stops resolving any dns after failing to read domob.bit
it doesn't crash and the web interface works fine but no more nslookup until quit and restart nmcontrol.
where can i see the logs? post if you have the same problem.
I'm not sure how this plays with phelix's Windows wrappers, but you can start NMControl with the flag "--debug=1" and it should show debug information in the command prompt window.

As a side note, we're working to get the code from this branch merged into NMControl proper. This is basically a release for power users who want to try bleeding edge code that hasn't gotten much code review. So, please report all bugs that you find, but don't be surprised if you find bugs. Props to phelix for getting these new features out there. :)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

johnc

Post by johnc »

Well this is strange, for me, it randomly stops resolving dns requests from the browser, usually when i hit a nonexistent .bit domain. i got firefox.
However sometimes it start resolving again in a few seconds, sometimes, cannot reproduce the steps to the error, i think it may be some program i have that produces malformed dns requests. I will do more checks and report back.

Also I added "--debug=1" to the link but i don't see the debug file on the temp folder.

Code: Select all

C:\Users\user>nslookup dotbitme.bit
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    dotbitme.bit
Address:  144.76.12.6

C:\Users\user>nslookup feens.bit
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  127.0.0.1

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
Last edited by johnc on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

johnc wrote:Well this is strange, for me, it randomly stops resolving dns requests from the browser, usually when i hit a nonexistent .bit domain. i got firefox.
However sometimes it start resolving again in a few seconds, sometimes, cannot reproduce the steps to the error, i think it may be some program i have that produces malformed ? dns requests.

Also I added "--debug=1" to the link but i don't see the debug file on the temp folder.
It won't save debug output to a file by default, it will just show it in the command window. I think the default in this branch is to hide the command window. If I'm not mistaken, it should install both a .py and a .pyw file. The .py file will display a command window; you can append --debug=1 when calling it from command prompt and it should show you debug output. There's probably a way to save it to a file too, I just don't use Windows enough to know my way around that.

If you can't get it to display the debug output, then I guess we'll wait until Phelix sees this and he can give more detailed instructions.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

johnc

Post by johnc »

well, it has nothing to do with the domain being existent or not, being malformed or not, or if you request the domain by typing in the address bar or by nslookup Domain.bit, I also tried turning off other internet programs but it behaves the same, randomly.

Is there any option to decide if the program/service restarts automatically ?

Lastly there's a debug option on the .conf files but i don't see the option to start as commandline, instead on the systray. i cannot run any .py file or compile for that matter.

Edited: Spell.
Last edited by johnc on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phelix

Post by phelix »

Thank you for the feedback. I realize only now that with the executable version it seems to be impossible to get debug information (or --help output).

I will try and figure something out, could take a couple of days though. If you could then give it another try it would be very helpful so that we can see what the actual problem is about.

phelix

Post by phelix »

updated
* It creates an output.log file in the folder %APPDATA%\NMControl that contains the console output to help debug.
* You can enable debug mode in %APPDATA%\NMControl\conf\plugin-main.conf
@johnc: If you could send me the output.log after the problem occurred it should give us a chance to debug.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:updated
* It creates an output.log file in the folder %APPDATA%\NMControl that contains the console output to help debug.
* You can enable debug mode in %APPDATA%\NMControl\conf\plugin-main.conf
@johnc: If you could send me the output.log after the problem occurred it should give us a chance to debug.
Note that NMControl will probably leak info about your lookups to the output.log file. So if you're worried about someone seeing what lookups you issued, don't share the unedited output.log with them. See https://github.com/namecoin/nmcontrol/issues/59