Libcoin repo

Namecoin, NMControl
indolering

Libcoin repo

Post by indolering »

As far as I can tell, the namecoin/libcoin repo is dead. AFAIK, Domob has been making changes against his tree and then submitting patches directly to the main Libcoin branch. He has also reported having trouble with upstream changes breaking items within Libcoin proper.

This is really bad because when combined with namecoin/namecoin the core project looks stalled out even though we have been making steady progress on multiple fronts.

I think we should maintain a Namecoin specific Libcoin branch which we funnel our collective changes through as well as protect us from breaking changes made upstream. Although this adds some overhead control of the repo makes it easier for us to coordinate among our volunteers, add our own documention, and generally get things done.

We've waited several months for a Libcoin repo to play with and I think it's time.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89

Re: Libcoin repo

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:As far as I can tell, the namecoin/libcoin repo is dead. AFAIK, Domob has been making changes against his tree and then submitting patches directly to the main Libcoin branch. He has also reported having trouble with upstream changes breaking items within Libcoin proper.

This is really bad because when combined with namecoin/namecoin the core project looks stalled out even though we have been making steady progress on multiple fronts.

I think we should maintain a Namecoin specific Libcoin branch which we funnel our collective changes through as well as protect us from breaking changes made upstream. Although this adds some overhead control of the repo makes it easier for us to coordinate among our volunteers, add our own documention, and generally get things done.

We've waited several months for a Libcoin repo to play with and I think it's time.
I have no objection to maintaining a fork of libcoin as long as we still try to get things merged upstream. Maybe domob can comment on this?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

I'm also fine with having namecoin/libcoin. Actually, I pushed to that repo from time to time when I found a particular version of libcoin to be "working" (with very limited testing, though). So this is probably basically what indo asked about. I don't want to always push changes back going through namecoin/libcoin, though, because I think that's just overkill. Our changes aren't actually that big, and Michael has been merging them to upstream just fine so far. I think it is fine to just provide namecoin/libcoin as a "somewhat" release branch where only revisions are pushed that seems to work, though.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

jonasbits

Post by jonasbits »

What about using namecoin/libcoin to publish a branch of the testnet code currently needing more attention?!
My Namecoin address: NC3HGHk527xuWZBgMdGJ2GxjpRSw8D4oA6

indolering

Post by indolering »

domob wrote:I'm also fine with having namecoin/libcoin. Actually, I pushed to that repo from time to time when I found a particular version of libcoin to be "working" (with very limited testing, though). So this is probably basically what indo asked about. I don't want to always push changes back going through namecoin/libcoin, though, because I think that's just overkill. Our changes aren't actually that big, and Michael has been merging them to upstream just fine so far. I think it is fine to just provide namecoin/libcoin as a "somewhat" release branch where only revisions are pushed that seems to work, though.
Right, Jeremy's got a TravisCI testing setup ready to go but we need to start maintaining that repo before we can do release engineering on it.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

signup292

Post by signup292 »

Last edited by signup292 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonasbits

Post by jonasbits »

I have a pull request of namecoin-testnet-beta running on Travis, hope it will pass.
My Namecoin address: NC3HGHk527xuWZBgMdGJ2GxjpRSw8D4oA6