Packaging Namecoin

Namecoin, NMControl
indolering

Packaging Namecoin

Post by indolering »

I've been thinking about the user and developer experience of using Namecoin and I think we need to reorganize things around actual use cases.

I'm unsure of exactly how we should go about it, but we should package things such that it includes NMControl, Namecoind (and Libcoind going forward) as well as providing .bit DNS resolution by default.

I was thinking of a developer centric repo that had CLI installation scripts with NMControl and Namcoind as child repos. This could be a terrible idea, but we could move namecoin/namecoin to namecoin/bitcoin (or something similar) since we will be deprecating that code anyway.

Given our desire to move to an HTML5 app for the Namecoin GUI, I think we should have a Wordpress/SabNZBd++ style HTML The installer should optionally offer .bit resolution via Namecoin2Bind, DNSMaq, and/or FreeSpeechMe) and offer a signed blockchain download for clients willing to trade security for immediate use.

P.S. Thoughts on refactoring NMControl as nmcd on the command line?
Last edited by indolering on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89

Re: Packaging Namecoin

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:I've been thinking about the user and developer experience of using Namecoin and I think we need to reorganize things around actual use cases.

I'm unsure of exactly how we should go about it, but we should package things such that it includes NMControl, Namecoind (and Libcoind going forward) as well as providing .bit DNS resolution by default.

I was thinking of a developer centric repo that had CLI installation scripts with NMControl and Namcoind as child repos. This could be a terrible idea, but we could move namecoin/namecoin to namecoin/bitcoin (or something similar) since we will be deprecating that code anyway.

Given our desire to move to an HTML5 app for the Namecoin GUI, I think we should have a Wordpress/SabNZBd++ style HTML installer which could optionally install Namecoin2Bind, DNSMaq, FreeSpeechMe, and offer up a signed blockchain download for clients willing to trade security for immediate use.

P.S. Thoughts on refactoring NMControl as nmcd on the command line?
Who is our? I'm strongly against using HTML5 for a Namecoin GUI. There are plenty of existing good options; libcoin-Qt and Armory both look decent.

I have no problem with bundling various Namecoin apps together. FreeSpeechMe already does this to some extent.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering

Re: Packaging Namecoin

Post by indolering »

I was not well informed about the current state of the GUI options, but the overall point ....
: )
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.