Repository push procedure

Namecoin, NMControl
domob

Repository push procedure

Post by domob »

I've recently submitted two pull requests (for Namecoin-Qt and nmcontrol, I'm too lazy to look up links for now), and phelix ack'ed both of them. In theory, I have access to the repositories, but I'm hesitating to push changes myself to projects I consider maintained by others (I wouldn't hesitate to push NameID changes, of course).

I think we should define a general procedure for code review and commits. I suggest that either only the "main developer" of a particular software should merge patches (not me in the case of nmcontrol and Namecoin-Qt), or that we agree that everyone with write access can merge patches when they have been ok'ed by one or two others (like phelix' ack's).

What do you think?
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Re: Repository push procedure

Post by phelix »

domob wrote:I've recently submitted two pull requests (for Namecoin-Qt and nmcontrol, I'm too lazy to look up links for now), and phelix ack'ed both of them. In theory, I have access to the repositories, but I'm hesitating to push changes myself to projects I consider maintained by others (I wouldn't hesitate to push NameID changes, of course).

I think we should define a general procedure for code review and commits.
+1
I suggest that either only the "main developer" of a particular software should merge patches (not me in the case of nmcontrol and Namecoin-Qt), or that we agree that everyone with write access can merge patches when they have been ok'ed by one or two others (like phelix' ack's).

What do you think?
Not sure how to do it best. I could not yet find a description of Bitcoin's ACK procedure. I guess at least with some repos it would be best to have several people be able to merge.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Post by domob »

phelix wrote:What do you think?
Not sure how to do it best. I could not yet find a description of Bitcoin's ACK procedure. I guess at least with some repos it would be best to have several people be able to merge.[/quote]
I can only tell you how GCC does it: There's a list of "maintainers" for each component, and those can push any changes they like for their own components. Also, there are some people who have "write-after-approval" rights. For those and if maintainers modify a different part of the code, they have to submit the patch to a mailing list, and if a maintainer of the respective component ok's the patch, they can commit.

For Mozilla, there was a two-tier system the last time I checked. Review by someone working on the specific part of the code that is modified, and "super-review" by one of a few persons who are familiar with the overall code-base. (But presumably the latter is only a rough check since they have a lot to do.)

We are a project smaller than either of those, but since we have (at least somewhat) to do with crypto and security, we should be careful, too. But I would be fine with an ok from one knowing the modified code - but I'm also fine if pull requests are solely merged by the main devs of the code in question.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

Github provides us an easy way to manage pull requests from people not having the right to push/merge to the repo. As a consequence, we do not need a lot of people to have a push right, while still allowing participation.

I'm fine with an ok from another person knowing the code, for non controversial commits & for commits that don't change how namecoin works.
People who have push/merge access can use it, that's what it is done for (if they use their right badly, they'll be whipped :p)
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

phelix

Post by phelix »

ok. So anybody with push access can and should use it. Critical and large changes need to get more ACKs.

At least one person needs to review/test and ACK a pull.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum