Possibility to integrate nmcontrol DNS into Avahi / unixOS ?

Namecoin, NMControl
khal
Site Admin

Possibility to integrate nmcontrol DNS into Avahi / unixOS ?

Post by khal »

Every unix has an equivalent of the file /etc/nsswitch.conf which contains informations on how to resolve names.

Default config may be :

Code: Select all

hosts:          files dns
=> On debian, it will search in /etc/hosts and then in /etc/resolv.conf (list of dns servers)

If you install the avahi daemon, the config is updated to :

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
=> avahi will now reply using "mdns4_minimal" before DNS servers, and using "mdns4" after DNS servers (if I understand well).

Avahi proposes an API to register services, which is available in C, D-BUS, etc.

For example, it could be used in python (with the python-dbus packages or even the python-avahi package) and be integrated into nmcontrol.

I don't know enough about avahi to know if is would be possible to register nmcontrol as a dns service for .bit, but it can be an interesting way for a better integration under linux.

Anybody knows more about avahi and its possibilities ?

Edit: some avahi usages, to broadcast services :
- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3430 ... ent-server
- http://stackp.online.fr/?p=35

Edit2: avahi is used under linux to broadcast your local hostname on the network, so, people can contact you with the hostname <computer-name>.local on your network by using multi-cast dns.

Edit3 : avahi-daemon.conf

#publish-dns-servers=192.168.50.1, 192.168.50.2
#publish-resolv-conf-dns-servers=yes
It should be possible to use a local dns server listening on 127.0.0.2 by configuring it there, but nothing is automatic.

Edit4 : avahi-dnsconfd :

This tool listens on the network for announced DNS servers and passes them
 to resolvconf so it can use them. This is very useful on autoconfigured
 IPv6 networks.
Note : such DNS servers may only by called by mdns and not mdns_minimal, so too late for us.

Edit5 : avahi seems mainly targeted on hostnames and not on networks/zones. I still search a bit.

Edit6 : this python script register another alias (CNAME) for your computer.
Would it be possible to register the "bit" domain with a NS record set to 127.0.0.2 (default nmcontrol dns server ip) ?
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

domob

Re: Possibility to integrate nmcontrol DNS into Avahi / unix

Post by domob »

That's a very interesting idea! Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Avahi or the host resolution procedures on GNU/Linux myself, so I can't give advice. But it looks promising. Could this be even used for .bit support on rooted Android devices, for instance?

EDIT: I just checked my device (Cyanogenmod) and it has /etc/hosts but neiter /etc/nsswitch.conf nor even /etc/resolv.conf.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

khal
Site Admin

Re: Possibility to integrate nmcontrol DNS into Avahi / unix

Post by khal »

domob wrote:That's a very interesting idea! Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Avahi or the host resolution procedures on GNU/Linux myself, so I can't give advice. But it looks promising. Could this be even used for .bit support on rooted Android devices, for instance?

EDIT: I just checked my device (Cyanogenmod) and it has /etc/hosts but neiter /etc/nsswitch.conf nor even /etc/resolv.conf.
Wikipedia also speaks about /etc/svc.conf
But, if Cyanogenmod provides the avahi-daemon with the .local feature, it may be sufficient I guess (network config can be in /etc/network/ maybe).

Added edit6 :
khal wrote:Edit6 : this python script register another alias (CNAME) for your computer.
Would it be possible to register the "bit" domain with a NS record set to 127.0.0.2 (default nmcontrol dns server ip) ?
Other url : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7752 ... using-mdns
That way, .bit request would be forwarded to the nmcontrol dns server. Or will that register the domain bit.local instead ? :p

Edit : I tested the python script, and every alias not ending by .local thow an error.

Edit2 : Alias test.local2 was accepted by changing avahi conf to :

[wide-area]
#enable-wide-area=yes
enable-wide-area=no
But no possibility to test, even the .local dos not work. Maybe avahi need some time after a restart.

Edit3 : no success yet, any volunteer ? :p
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent