Who are the active NMC devs today?

Namecoin, NMControl
sugarpuff

Who are the active NMC devs today?

Post by sugarpuff »

Basically the title question. Specifically refers to those working on namecoind.

Also, most development seems to be taking place in namecoinq, but that seems to require qt to build. Why isn't namecoin updated as frequently? Is there a way to build namecoinq without QT?

Also, I know this might come off as impractical, but I have an extreme hatred of C++ (after years of working with it), for good reason. It's an unmanageable mess full of security problems. Rust seems to be the future there. Anyone considering the idea of redoing the *coins in Rust?

biolizard89

Re: Who are the active NMC devs today?

Post by biolizard89 »

sugarpuff wrote:Basically the title question. Specifically refers to those working on namecoind.

Also, most development seems to be taking place in namecoinq, but that seems to require qt to build. Why isn't namecoin updated as frequently? Is there a way to build namecoinq without QT?

Also, I know this might come off as impractical, but I have an extreme hatred of C++ (after years of working with it), for good reason. It's an unmanageable mess full of security problems. Rust seems to be the future there. Anyone considering the idea of redoing the *coins in Rust?
snailbrain is the main dev working on namecoind. namecoinq is buildable without the GUI, but I'm not sure what the procedure is.

Given the work involved in porting a large project to a different language, I wouldn't expect Namecoin to attempt it anytime soon. If someone ports libcoin, then maybe.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:
sugarpuff wrote:Basically the title question. Specifically refers to those working on namecoind.

snailbrain is the main dev working on namecoind. namecoinq is buildable without the GUI, but I'm not sure what the procedure is.
It is straight-forward (although I can only comment on the GNU/Linux procedure), and in fact, I never ever built Bitcoin or Namecoin with Qt but always the UI-less version and I never had any problems with that. What you need to do is use the Makefiles in the src/ folder. For me, it is (disabling libminiupnp since I don't have it installed and don't want it):

Code: Select all

cd src; make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP=-
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:

It is straight-forward (although I can only comment on the GNU/Linux procedure), and in fact, I never ever built Bitcoin or Namecoin with Qt but always the UI-less version and I never had any problems with that. What you need to do is use the Makefiles in the src/ folder. For me, it is (disabling libminiupnp since I don't have it installed and don't want it):

Code: Select all

cd src; make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP=-
Ooh nice, I'll have to try that... thanks for that tip. Into my notes that goes.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

http://dot-bit.org/BuildNamecoinQTFromSource#Windows

Will build namecoind.exe and namecoin-qt.exe (automatically after the initial environment setup - which it guides you through).
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

sugarpuff

Post by sugarpuff »

biolizard89 wrote:snailbrain is the main dev working on namecoind. namecoinq is buildable without the GUI, but I'm not sure what the procedure is.
snailbrain seems to be responsible for namecoinq as well, is that right?

Didn't spend too much time searching but whoever he or she is, they don't seem to advertise who they are. Nakamoto, is that you? :P

Is that it? Surely there are other people involved too. I see contributions from khal, is that right?

There are some important issues that need to be tackled, and I'm just trying to gauge how active the community is in addressing them. I'm allergic to C++ and will be working on DNSNMC/okT, so I'm afraid I can't be of too much help with the official client.

jdbtracker

Post by jdbtracker »

Yeah, Rust would be pretty cool to built a port of.

Any language implementation would be spectacular a total rebuild in Go would be interesting too.

IN C with ATS tags for maximum efficiency, The code base is already built all someone would have to do is port it with refinements to the code, getting the damn thing to work is half the battle, fine tuning the code is the other half.

We could write it in Haskell, that would be deadly...

A PHP implementation for server side wallets?

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

sugarpuff wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:snailbrain is the main dev working on namecoind. namecoinq is buildable without the GUI, but I'm not sure what the procedure is.
snailbrain seems to be responsible for namecoinq as well, is that right?

Didn't spend too much time searching but whoever he or she is, they don't seem to advertise who they are. Nakamoto, is that you? :P

Is that it? Surely there are other people involved too. I see contributions from khal, is that right?

There are some important issues that need to be tackled, and I'm just trying to gauge how active the community is in addressing them. I'm allergic to C++ and will be working on DNSNMC/okT, so I'm afraid I can't be of too much help with the official client.
I'm not the C++ expert, i'm a colleague / project manager? (however probably unqualified) .. but i have enthusiasm and motivation and imagination :D
my partner in crime aka "thecoder" is the dev working on the client.. but on a "needed" basis. If anyone wants to contribute it would be MORE than welcome.
You can think of us more as: "helping out".

If I was satoshi i'd be writing this from my love shack in hawaii, instead of my run down flat looking at my overdraft :D