More details on the domain registration process

carl

More details on the domain registration process

Post by carl »

Hi! This project is great :)
Question regarding name registration:

I registered a name with the initial namecoind name_new <name>.
About 72 blocks later I try doing the first update: namecoind first_update <name> <random> <value> with the smaller hex code from the first step.
However, I get an error saying "this name is already active".

Is this because I waited too long can someone else also make the initial reservation and be the first one to first_update or what do I make of this?

carl

Re: More details on the domain registration process

Post by carl »

After seeing the list of all domains I realized the name I registered was already taken. So I'm right to say that the initial step of the name registration does not give any positive or negative feedback regarding the availability?

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

I had the same problem while registering an existing domain.
So i guess the problem is still here...

For now, i would recommand to verify if your domain already exists :
./namecoind name_scan d/your_domain 1
It will always output 1 domain, the one you want if it already exists, another one if it does not exist (strange behaviour, isn't it ? :p).
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

amincd

Post by amincd »

Hi Khal,

Thanks for the all work you've done on this. I have another question regarding name-registration. I registered a number of names a week ago, but now they won't list when I input /namecoind name_list.

When I check if they're registered, with /namecoind name_scan d/my_domain 1, I do see the domain, and the value I put for it, so I know it was me who registered it.

Do you have any idea why it's not showing up in my name_list?

FYI I'm using the second most recent version of the namecoin client, which was available in late April.

Also, how do I update the name to reset the expiration date?

I tried /namecoind name_update d/my_domain, and I got an error message, causing the namecoin server to shut down.

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

amincd wrote:I registered a number of names a week ago, but now they won't list when I input /namecoind name_list.

When I check if they're registered, with /namecoind name_scan d/my_domain 1, I do see the domain, and the value I put for it, so I know it was me who registered it.

Do you have any idea why it's not showing up in my name_list?

FYI I'm using the second most recent version of the namecoin client, which was available in late April.
Latest version has some checks for invalid transactions and two rpc calls if you still have a problem : name_clean & deletetransaction. With the latest version it has cleaned some problems i had. Backup your wallet and try a more recent version maybe.
amincd wrote:Also, how do I update the name to reset the expiration date?

I tried /namecoind name_update d/my_domain, and I got an error message, causing the namecoin server to shut down.
That's the right command, but the value is required too. What's the error message ?

amincd

Post by amincd »

Latest version has some checks for invalid transactions and two rpc calls if you still have a problem : name_clean & deletetransaction. With the latest version it has cleaned some problems i had. Backup your wallet and try a more recent version maybe.
Thanks, will do.
That's the right command, but the value is required too. What's the error message ?
I didn't put any value, so that's why I must have gotten the error. It's a Windows error, saying that the program has stopped working. After the error message, the command prompt that usually says 'bitcoin server running' stopped running the client.

I just tried the name_update command with a value now, but it gave me the following error:
error: {"code":-1,"message":"could not find a coin with this name"}
The domain exists because when I do the "namecoind name_scan d/my_domain 1" command, it shows the domain existing with my inputted value

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

If the latest release does not resolve your problem, you may need to use deletetransaction rpc command to remove the bad transaction from your wallet.

1. Backup your wallet.dat
2. ./namecoind listtransactions "" 100
3. Search the name_update corresponding to your domain and with a number of confirmations or a time corresponding to the moment you did the bad command. Note the txid.
4. ./namecoind deletetransaction xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. stop and restart namecoin

Be very cautionous with this command! Make backup before using it, or you may loose your domain.

Previous versions of namecoin displayed the name_new domains in name_list, that's now not the case. They only appear after a valid name_firstupdate.

amincd

Post by amincd »

Thanks, updating to the newer version got it working for me.