namecoind 3.5 locks up frequently

DrHaribo

namecoind 3.5 locks up frequently

Post by DrHaribo »

Hi,

I run the BitMinter mining pool at bitminter.com where we mine namecoins through merged mining with bitcoins. Judging by the height numbers on our blocks we currently make roughly every third or fourth namecoin block.

Lately namecoind 3.5 is locking up rather frequently. I have Monit set up to detect this situation, forcefully kill namecoind and restart it. So it hobbles along, for now.

This didn't happen before - it started a few weeks back. I guess it's a DoS vulnerability someone is playing with?

There seems to have been no development on namecoin for a very long time. Old bugs and security vulnerabilities that were fixed in bitcoin are still present in namecoin. Namecoind is becoming a hassle and security issue for my pool.

Are there any plans to pick up namecoin development again? At a minimum the security issues found in bitcoin need to be fixed in namecoind ASAP. In my opinion it's either that or shut down the namecoin project. I, at least, cannot keep running an old namecoind with an increasing number of known bugs and security issues. Noone else should either.

I think it's a sad situation, because namecoin was the one bitcoin fork that actually made sense. There are so many dumb clones that only exist because someone wanted their own coin.
▶▶▶ Bitminter.com - Your trusted mining pool since 2011.

phelix

Re: namecoind 3.5 locks up frequently

Post by phelix »

DrHaribo wrote:Hi,

I run the BitMinter mining pool at bitminter.com where we mine namecoins through merged mining with bitcoins. Judging by the height numbers on our blocks we currently make roughly every third or fourth namecoin block.

Lately namecoind 3.5 is locking up rather frequently. I have Monit set up to detect this situation, forcefully kill namecoind and restart it. So it hobbles along, for now.

This didn't happen before - it started a few weeks back. I guess it's a DoS vulnerability someone is playing with?

There seems to have been no development on namecoin for a very long time. Old bugs and security vulnerabilities that were fixed in bitcoin are still present in namecoin. Namecoind is becoming a hassle and security issue for my pool.

Are there any plans to pick up namecoin development again? At a minimum the security issues found in bitcoin need to be fixed in namecoind ASAP. In my opinion it's either that or shut down the namecoin project. I, at least, cannot keep running an old namecoind with an increasing number of known bugs and security issues. Noone else should either.

I think it's a sad situation, because namecoin was the one bitcoin fork that actually made sense. There are so many dumb clones that only exist because someone wanted their own coin.
I am totally with you. Unfortunately namecoin has not (yet) found it's niche and thus lacks developers...
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum