How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

virus_net
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 pm
os: bsd
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

Post by virus_net » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:24 am

[offtop]
MPetr wrote:And if I do not open the port, will it work?
MPetr, I can`t understand, now you serious or still kidding ?
[/offtop]
bitname.ru:
- whois service for .bit: whois.bitname.ru or whois.bitname.bit
- dns servers for .bit: dns1.bitname.ru dns2.bitname.ru or dns1.bitname.bit dns2.bitname.bit
- bit domains statistics
github

Pif01010
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 pm
os: windows

Re: How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

Post by Pif01010 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:54 am

Hmmm kind of a strange thread.
There are times when I get busy with other stuff and feel guilty I don't respond fast enough.

Once they were a bit slow and they messaged just as I was getting annoyed, which was good cause then I didn't have to say anything,
once they showed concern asking if they were answering me fast enough too without me having to say anything or show any concern. 24 hours or so doesn't seem so bad.

Anyways I've been dealing with an issue for a bit, keep getting closer to having it resolved but then something comes up, but I was looking at this thread because I really like Namecoin and once that issue is resolved and I free some stuff up in my life, volunteering would be something I would definitely be open to if there's something I can do, cause I really like Namecoin and want it to do well.

I think being able to build sites easier and me getting some of these domains in the right hands will be helpful, but if there's something else I'd be open to that too.
I'm not very used to working with servers as you say, but I do have one.

So I don't know. Guess I'm just saying I really like this company and would be possibly into doing more.
Maybe there could be a section for volunteer stuff people could do if they need it, one of the good things that way is that way is I could find the area I would be best at.
Or maybe I'm already doing that in away.

But just saying I like the company and would be open to doing more as well if something mutually suitable comes up.

MPetr
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 pm
os: linux

Re: How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

Post by MPetr » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:25 am

virus_net wrote:[offtop]
MPetr wrote:And if I do not open the port, will it work?
MPetr, I can`t understand, now you serious or still kidding ?
[/offtop]
I do not understand what's funny here. I'm talking seriously.

virus_net
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 pm
os: bsd
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

Post by virus_net » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:06 am

Funny that you want to use network tool and want to block network connections for it.
Or I misundesrtand what exactly you are asking.
bitname.ru:
- whois service for .bit: whois.bitname.ru or whois.bitname.bit
- dns servers for .bit: dns1.bitname.ru dns2.bitname.ru or dns1.bitname.bit dns2.bitname.bit
- bit domains statistics
github

MPetr
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 pm
os: linux

Re: How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

Post by MPetr » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 pm

Please, look at this GUI-example bottom.
I did not solve incoming ports here.
However, the Namecoin Core Wallet works successfully!
I thought that the same thing happens in the CLI-version.

Image
Last edited by MPetr on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

virus_net
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 pm
os: bsd
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

Post by virus_net » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:28 am

Ok, I don`t use GUI version and I don`t see any similar ("Allow incoming connections") in CLI version. So I can`t say anything about it.
Wait for the guru answer.
bitname.ru:
- whois service for .bit: whois.bitname.ru or whois.bitname.bit
- dns servers for .bit: dns1.bitname.ru dns2.bitname.ru or dns1.bitname.bit dns2.bitname.bit
- bit domains statistics
github

MPetr
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 pm
os: linux

Re: How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

Post by MPetr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:44 am

virus_net, thank you :)

biolizard89
Posts: 1971
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

Post by biolizard89 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 pm

virus_net wrote:Funny that you want to use network tool and want to block network connections for it.
Or I misundesrtand what exactly you are asking.
As far as I can tell, your interpretation of what he's asking matches what I understand him to be asking. And I agree that it doesn't make any sense -- if he wants to volunteer by running a server but is afraid to open the port that the server uses, then I don't think we can help him (unless he wants to pay someone to re-engineer how TCP/IP works).
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89
Posts: 1971
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

Post by biolizard89 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Pif01010 wrote:Hmmm kind of a strange thread.
There are times when I get busy with other stuff and feel guilty I don't respond fast enough.

Once they were a bit slow and they messaged just as I was getting annoyed, which was good cause then I didn't have to say anything,
once they showed concern asking if they were answering me fast enough too without me having to say anything or show any concern. 24 hours or so doesn't seem so bad.
Generally I aim to reply to non-emergency things within a few days. Sometimes I fail to meet that standard, sometimes I exceed that standard -- depends on how busy things are elsewhere. Volunteer-run projects are usually comparable to this. While I do get paid by NLnet Foundation to do Namecoin development, that money is earmarked for development of specific features, so unless a support request is specifically related to a covered feature, NLnet money doesn't cover support requests. I.e. I'm not generally paid to answer support requests, and if I spent all my time replying to support requests, a lot less development would be getting done. I'm totally okay with answering support requests (it's an important part of the job), and I encourage users to ask questions when they have trouble, it's just a bit weird when an occasional person (e.g. the person who started this thread) gets indignant because I took more than a day to answer, and generally my approach to people who issue threats (e.g. threatening to switch to a crapcoin) when they don't get immediate answers from me is to simply ignore support requests from such users going forward. I get that maybe some users aren't accustomed to how volunteer-run projects work, and are expecting a free 24/7 support hotline at their fingertips, but that's not how this works. For what it's worth, the vast majority of our users (including you) are perfectly pleasant to deal with and don't get mad at us for any support delays that happen.
Pif01010 wrote:Anyways I've been dealing with an issue for a bit, keep getting closer to having it resolved but then something comes up, but I was looking at this thread because I really like Namecoin and once that issue is resolved and I free some stuff up in my life, volunteering would be something I would definitely be open to if there's something I can do, cause I really like Namecoin and want it to do well.

I think being able to build sites easier and me getting some of these domains in the right hands will be helpful, but if there's something else I'd be open to that too.
I'm not very used to working with servers as you say, but I do have one.

So I don't know. Guess I'm just saying I really like this company and would be possibly into doing more.
Maybe there could be a section for volunteer stuff people could do if they need it, one of the good things that way is that way is I could find the area I would be best at.
Or maybe I'm already doing that in away.

But just saying I like the company and would be open to doing more as well if something mutually suitable comes up.
Indeed -- one of the things we've been intending to do is add a page to the website listing things that would benefit from help from the community. If you're currently holding some domains, I agree that finding appropriate people who're interested in building stuff with them is a worthwhile activity. (Technically I'm holding a few domains for which I need to do that... seems I don't have enough time to do everything I want to do.) At this point, Namecoin is sufficiently young that the majority of volunteer tasks require some technical expertise, but that issue in itself is something that could use volunteering -- telling us what issues you encounter, so that we can fix any usability issues that exist, is a worthwhile activity. (It can be hard for technically experienced people to easily predict what's confusing for less experienced people.)

Cheers!
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

MPetr
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 pm
os: linux

Re: How me do I become a volunteer of network Namecoin?

Post by MPetr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:34 pm

biolizard89:
I understood the situation, do not be offended ;)


The need to open the port in the CLI wallet still did not understand.
After all, the QT wallet works fine without opening the port, right?

Post Reply