ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

samurai321
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 pm
os: windows
Location: varies

ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

Post by samurai321 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:55 pm

Testing... on w7 x64 sp1 with ncdns 0.0.4 x64 and previous namecoin core 0.13.99 installed.

so far avast "hardened mode" gives me like 8 or 9 warnings while installing.

now, dnssec says "there is no web acces", i will check the conf files...

there is no "cookie" i set the rpc user/pass. restart.

is there supposed to be a ncdns.exe running at startup, because i don't see it.

i unninstall and install again.

I see a message that there is no connection, the probe says:

dnssec-trigger 0.14_20170106 results from probe at 2017-08-27 23:49:48

authority 192.228.79.201: OK addr ster.nlnetlabs.nl AAAA from 192.168.1.1: error no answer, REFUSED addr ster.nlnetlabs.nl AAAA from fe80::1: error no answer, REFUSED cache fe80::1: error cannot disassemble reply: answer section incomplete cache 192.168.1.1: error cannot disassemble reply: answer section incomplete

DNSSEC results fetched direct from authorities

maybe my router filters this kind of traffic?

anyway. i check the instructions, i go to services to restart ncdns, is not started, i click on start: Windows cannot start this service Error1: incorrect function. i go to cmd, run ncdns: "Error in service: Loaded record from key file, but it wasn't a DNSKEY" i see bit.key files are empty.

any ideas.?

oh, i see on namecoin.conf this at the bottom: (commented)

#minimizetotray=1server=1rpccookiefile=C:\ProgramData\NamecoinCookie.cookie

okay, so i fix this and remove my rpc user/pass in namecoin.conf and modiffy ncdns.conf again. Restart core, but the error when starting ncdns is the same.

Now how do i populate this bit.key files. i see they are empty. ( i will uninstall and install again...)

i see on the install log some errors. the key files still empty.

i will post a screenshot. how can i copy paste the log i see on the installer. i can't seem to select it.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2017-08-28 01.15.03.jpg
Captura de pantalla 2017-08-28 01.15.03.jpg (203.31 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Keep calm and gather moar namecoins

biolizard89
Posts: 1971
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

Post by biolizard89 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:52 am

samurai321 wrote:Testing... on w7 x64 sp1 with ncdns 0.0.4 x64 and previous namecoin core 0.13.99 installed.
Hi! Thanks for testing. Most of my testing was done with Windows 7 64-bit, so we can at least rule out some kind of incompatibility with this version of Windows. I didn't do a huge amount of testing with a pre-installed Namecoin Core, but it should work okay.
samurai321 wrote:so far avast "hardened mode" gives me like 8 or 9 warnings while installing.
Do you happen to have screenshots or text of the warnings? I tested on a Windows 7 machine with AVG, and AVG showed a lot of warnings while installing, which basically indicated that it was scanning the various .exe files for anything sketchy. AVG decided after a few seconds that the files were clean, and no problems were caused by it, but there definitely were quite a few warnings that came up. I don't think I've tested with Avast.
samurai321 wrote:now, dnssec says "there is no web acces", i will check the conf files...
If Dnssec-Trigger thinks there's no web access, that's a sign that your ISP (or something between your computer and your ISP, e.g. a router) is interfering with DNSSEC. Are you able to disclose what your ISP is? Are you, by any chance, using a DNS server other than your ISP's? (I've heard reports of problems with OpenDNS.)
samurai321 wrote:there is no "cookie" i set the rpc user/pass. restart.

is there supposed to be a ncdns.exe running at startup, because i don't see it.

i unninstall and install again.

I see a message that there is no connection, the probe says:

dnssec-trigger 0.14_20170106 results from probe at 2017-08-27 23:49:48

authority 192.228.79.201: OK addr ster.nlnetlabs.nl AAAA from 192.168.1.1: error no answer, REFUSED addr ster.nlnetlabs.nl AAAA from fe80::1: error no answer, REFUSED cache fe80::1: error cannot disassemble reply: answer section incomplete cache 192.168.1.1: error cannot disassemble reply: answer section incomplete

DNSSEC results fetched direct from authorities

maybe my router filters this kind of traffic?
My router also interferes with DNSSEC, but Dnssec-Trigger will automatically detect scenarios like this and will bypass the router in favor of the DNS authorities directly (which is what "DNSSEC results fetched direct from authorities" indicates). So this doesn't look like an indication of a problem (although you might want to fix your router at some point).
samurai321 wrote:anyway. i check the instructions, i go to services to restart ncdns, is not started, i click on start: Windows cannot start this service Error1: incorrect function. i go to cmd, run ncdns: "Error in service: Loaded record from key file, but it wasn't a DNSKEY" i see bit.key files are empty.
Note that ncdns is unlikely to work properly if you run it from the command line, unless you run it as a user that has privileges to access ncdns's files. I wouldn't be surprised if ncdns can't access its DNSSEC keys when run as a standard user. However, it definitely isn't normal for the key files to be empty, so that could be an indication of a problem.
samurai321 wrote:any ideas.?

oh, i see on namecoin.conf this at the bottom: (commented)

#minimizetotray=1server=1rpccookiefile=C:\ProgramData\NamecoinCookie.cookie
Is it intentional that you typed the above without line breaks, or did the original file have line breaks there?
samurai321 wrote:okay, so i fix this and remove my rpc user/pass in namecoin.conf and modiffy ncdns.conf again. Restart core, but the error when starting ncdns is the same.
ncdns will start just fine even if the RPC settings to talk to Namecoin Core are wrong. So that's not the issue. Missing DNSSEC keys will almost definitely cause ncdns to not start, though.
samurai321 wrote:Now how do i populate this bit.key files. i see they are empty. ( i will uninstall and install again...)

i see on the install log some errors. the key files still empty.

i will post a screenshot. how can i copy paste the log i see on the installer. i can't seem to select it.
I think if you right-click on the log in the installer, there will be an option to copy the entire log to the clipboard. If that's available, do so, and paste it here on the forum inside a "code" block. (Feel free to redact anything sensitive from the log, e.g. your computer's username, if desired.)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

samurai321
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 pm
os: windows
Location: varies

Re: ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

Post by samurai321 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Yes is intentional, that's what i found on at the end of my namecoin.conf file

Code: Select all

#minimizetotray=1server=1rpccookiefile=C:\ProgramData\NamecoinCookie\.cookie
but that was easy to fix: just uncomment and then the namecoin cookie is created.

Code: Select all

server=1

rpccookiefile=C:\ProgramData\NamecoinCookie\.cookie
Yeah, ncdns isn't a started service and won't start, because of the empty key files.

Ok, see attached file with the text of the installer screen pasted.
Is there a way to get the dnssec installer logs?
Attachments
New Text Document.txt
(6.52 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Keep calm and gather moar namecoins

biolizard89
Posts: 1971
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

Post by biolizard89 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:12 pm

samurai321 wrote:Yes is intentional, that's what i found on at the end of my namecoin.conf file

Code: Select all

#minimizetotray=1server=1rpccookiefile=C:\ProgramData\NamecoinCookie\.cookie
but that was easy to fix: just uncomment and then the namecoin cookie is created.

Code: Select all

server=1

rpccookiefile=C:\ProgramData\NamecoinCookie\.cookie
Yeah, ncdns isn't a started service and won't start, because of the empty key files.

Ok, see attached file with the text of the installer screen pasted.
Is there a way to get the dnssec installer logs?
Thanks for the log. Based on what I see in the log, it looks like dnssec-keygen is silently failing. (Normally it would print some output, but I don't see any such output, nor did it give an error.) I have a hunch that this may be due to a missing shared library (probably an MSVC++ runtime). Can you please do the following to help us diagnose it:

1. Open a command prompt in "C:\Program Files\ncdns\bin".
2. Run "dnssec-keygen.exe -h"
3. Tell me whether it displays a Usage message, or if it gives an error (include the error message, if one exists).
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

samurai321
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 pm
os: windows
Location: varies

Re: ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

Post by samurai321 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:31 pm

yeah
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2017-08-29 01.30.58.png
Captura de pantalla 2017-08-29 01.30.58.png (20.73 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Keep calm and gather moar namecoins

biolizard89
Posts: 1971
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

Post by biolizard89 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:55 pm

samurai321 wrote:yeah
Okay, so this should be easy to fix. It looks like you need to install the Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package, which should be downloadable from https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?pid=1452 . (Sadly you'll need a Microsoft account to download it, because Microsoft is Microsoft.) The relevant ncdns-nsis GitHub issue is https://github.com/namecoin/ncdns-nsis/issues/7 ; it looks like we inadvertently upgraded the dependency without updating the code that checks for the dependency, which is why it silently failed instead of giving you a helpful error. (Most of this dependency stupidity should go away once we switch to the Tor build system.)

Once you've installed the Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package, uninstall and reinstall ncdns, and hopefully it'll work properly this time. Let us know if that works.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

samurai321
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 pm
os: windows
Location: varies

Re: ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

Post by samurai321 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 am

okay, so i got it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30679

unninstall, install. Now there are no errors.

Success! now i can browse pure .bit domains.

now, it works on firefox, in chrome only if i write http://nx.bit not if i write nx.bit and with https nf.bit it gives me the "unsecure" error, i guess because the installer failed to do their magic with chrome.

Code: Select all

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
Subject: nf.bit
Issuer: nf.bit
Expires on: Aug 8, 2022
Also, if i understand, zeronet websites obviously doesn't work with this, unless i install the program.

I wanted to browse kaffiene.bit but i only works from zeronet or with proxy (defeats the purpose)

I think you may want to talk with the zeronet guys to see what can be done. Maybe add some logic into ncdns so that .zeronet websites read the zeronet tag in the JSON and uses that so users can input into the browser: zeronetwork.bit and see zeronetwork.bit instead of http://127.0.0.1:43110/talk.zeronetwork.bit

You may also talk into bundling ncdns into their software or viceversa. Not sure how they handle this internally.

I think it was a mistake of the creator to user d/domains and the .bit TLD instead of zero/domains and .ZERO or .ZERONET for zeronet. But, now little can be done and a workaround will be nice.
Keep calm and gather moar namecoins

biolizard89
Posts: 1971
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

Post by biolizard89 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:58 am

samurai321 wrote:okay, so i got it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30679
Ah cool, good to know that there's a download that doesn't require an account.
samurai321 wrote:unninstall, install. Now there are no errors.

Success! now i can browse pure .bit domains.
Awesome.
samurai321 wrote:now, it works on firefox, in chrome only if i write http://nx.bit not if i write nx.bit and with https nf.bit it gives me the "unsecure" error, i guess because the installer failed to do their magic with chrome.

Code: Select all

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
Subject: nf.bit
Issuer: nf.bit
Expires on: Aug 8, 2022
It's possible that you've run into this bug: https://github.com/namecoin/ncdns-nsis/issues/12 . The logfile you posted previously indicated that the installer failed to detect your Chrome installation. Can you look in the folder "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\" and tell me if you see a file called "TransportSecurity" in that folder? If you don't, can you visit in Chrome any website that uses HSTS ( https://www.namecoin.org should do the job), and then exit Chrome, and see if the "TransportSecurity" file has appeared? If it appears, then try uninstalling and reinstalling ncdns one more time. The installer will notify you if it detects Chrome, and ask you if you want to enable HTTPS support.
samurai321 wrote:Also, if i understand, zeronet websites obviously doesn't work with this, unless i install the program.

I wanted to browse kaffiene.bit but i only works from zeronet or with proxy (defeats the purpose)

I think you may want to talk with the zeronet guys to see what can be done. Maybe add some logic into ncdns so that .zeronet websites read the zeronet tag in the JSON and uses that so users can input into the browser: zeronetwork.bit and see zeronetwork.bit instead of http://127.0.0.1:43110/talk.zeronetwork.bit

You may also talk into bundling ncdns into their software or viceversa. Not sure how they handle this internally.
I'm absolutely open to working with the ZeroNet devs on improving interoperability in this area. I have limited time to do that kind of thing because of the work NLnet is paying for, but I'll certainly do whatever I can.

Cheers!
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

samurai321
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 pm
os: windows
Location: varies

Re: ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

Post by samurai321 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:41 am


It's possible that you've run into this bug: https://github.com/namecoin/ncdns-nsis/issues/12 . The logfile you posted previously indicated that the installer failed to detect your Chrome installation. Can you look in the folder "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\" and tell me if you see a file called "TransportSecurity" in that folder?
i visit namecoin.org fine but i don't have ANY "Default" folder on that path...

i however have "TransportSecurity" on "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Profile1" "Profile2" etc...

I reinstalled but it didn't help. Same error line on the install "Chromium support was not configured"

I have Chrome, not Chromium. Do they have the same paths?
Keep calm and gather moar namecoins

biolizard89
Posts: 1971
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: ncdns windows installer error creating bit.key files.

Post by biolizard89 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:01 am

samurai321 wrote:

It's possible that you've run into this bug: https://github.com/namecoin/ncdns-nsis/issues/12 . The logfile you posted previously indicated that the installer failed to detect your Chrome installation. Can you look in the folder "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\" and tell me if you see a file called "TransportSecurity" in that folder?
i visit namecoin.org fine but i don't have ANY "Default" folder on that path...

i however have "TransportSecurity" on "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Profile1" "Profile2" etc...
That is quite interesting. So, to verify that I understand you correctly, there's a file at "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Profile1\TransportSecurity", and at "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Profile2\TransportSecurity", but not at "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\TransportSecurity"?
samurai321 wrote:I reinstalled but it didn't help. Same error line on the install "Chromium support was not configured"
For some reason, your Chrome installation is using a slightly different folder structure than mine, and this is confusing the installer. We'll need to adjust the installer script to handle the folder structure that you have.
samurai321 wrote:I have Chrome, not Chromium. Do they have the same paths?
In my installations, Chrome uses "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\TransportSecurity", Chromium uses "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Chromium\User Data\Default\TransportSecurity", and Opera uses "%APPDATA%\Opera Software\Opera Stable\TransportSecurity". The installer will handle any of these 3 cases. Unfortunately, any other paths need to be added to the installer script in order for things to work; there's not a good general way of detecting the path that we've found.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Post Reply