0 confirmations has turned LOST EVERYTHING!

biolizard89

Re: 0 confirmations has turned LOST EVERYTHING!

Post by biolizard89 »

The good news is that it looks like 2 Namecoin developers (myself and Jonas) will be attending 34C3 (largest hacker conference in Europe) in Leipzig in late December. This is excellent for Namecoin, because there are likely to be a large number of people in attendance who would be useful to collaborate with in the future. (Including the Tor people.) Technically we haven't made a formal announcement of this yet, but it's been discussed openly on Matrix/IRC for the past week or so, so I don't see any problem with mentioning it in this thread. Please don't spread that info too widely though, since it's still possible for plans to change at this point.

If it's a corrupt wallet, usually a -salvagewallet operation will recover it completely, and you shouldn't lose any coins or names. If it's unusually bad corruption, then a subset of coins or names might be lost, but I have yet to encounter this. (Not guaranteeing that it's fixable, but in my experience it nearly always is.)

You're referring to this, right? "If so that sort of reminds me, I had bought a domain from dotbit.me that didn't transfer properly to my wallet. All they could do was give me the big address code associated with the wallet." If so, did dotbit.me get any kind of error when they tried to transfer it to you? Or did it look fine on their end but didn't appear in your wallet? If the former, dotbit.me should contact me, Daniel, or Cassini. If the latter, maybe try looking up the name in question on https://namecha.in and see if that site shows it as successfully transferring to the address you tried to receive it at?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Alright cool, that sounds good.

I 'm about to call me tech guy.

AS for dotbit.me I'm not 100% sure but I'm like 99% because they didn't mention it, it sounded like it probably seemed to have gone through by the sound of things.

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Anyways sorry it has been a busy week, I have the debug code isolated now, can I send it to some one?
Should I just send it to Jeremy? Or is there a more appropriate email to send it to?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:Anyways sorry it has been a busy week, I have the debug code isolated now, can I send it to some one?
Should I just send it to Jeremy? Or is there a more appropriate email to send it to?
Yes, you can send it to jeremy@namecoin.org as usual.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Okay great. I just sent it.

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Alright hey, did you guys get my message? It doesn't look like I have heard back from you guys at all?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:Okay great. I just sent it.
Sorry for the delayed reply.

So, interestingly there aren't any errors in the log you sent me that indicate wallet corruption. It's not clear to me whether this is because such errors don't get logged.

Anyway, I suspect that a partially corrupted wallet is still the most likely culprit here (or perhaps one of multiple culprits). So, here are some instructions to try:
  1. If Namecoin Core or Namecoin-Qt is open, close it.
  2. Make a backup of the "wallet.dat" file in the Namecoin profile directory. That's the directory that you accessed in this post: viewtopic.php?p=17121#p17121
  3. Click the Windows button in the taskbar, and type "cmd" into the search box (no quote marks), and press Enter.
  4. In the command prompt window that comes up, type the following and press Enter (you can copy and paste if you want, but you'll need to right-click to paste; Ctrl-V won't paste; make sure you include the quote marks as written):

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Namecoin\namecoin-qt.exe" -salvagewallet

5. Namecoin Core should exit on its own after a little while. Then, type the following into the command prompt window and press Enter:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Namecoin\namecoin-qt.exe" -rescan

6. Namecoin Core will take some time here (probably between 5 minutes and 2 hours, depending on how fast your computer is). It will show a progress bar. When the progress bar is complete, exit Namecoin Core.
  7. Start Namecoin Core as normal (via the Start Menu). If it worked, your wallet should be repaired. Let me know whether the name_update error you were seeing goes away (or if it becomes a different error). Also let me know whether the blank Transactions tab entries are fixed (or if a different problem happens).
  8. You can close the command prompt window now.
  9. From this point forward, don't run Namecoin-Qt 0.3.80 on that computer; only use Namecoin Core. I suspect that your wallet corruption issue may be a result of using both Namecoin-Qt 0.3.80 and Namecoin Core 0.13.99 on the same wallet, although I'm not certain of this.
Hope this helps -- feel free to ask questions if anything I wrote is unclear. And sorry again for the delayed reply.

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Alright Thanks and super sorry about my lateness! I had way too much going on in my life I am clearing some space for these things.
I'm not sure I get the instructions again but I'll get my tech guy to come in soon and help me take a look thanks.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:Alright Thanks and super sorry about my lateness! I had way too much going on in my life I am clearing some space for these things.
I'm not sure I get the instructions again but I'll get my tech guy to come in soon and help me take a look thanks.
No worries, it's not like I'm well-known for instant replies myself. :) Let us know if you run into any issues with the instructions.

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

hmmm uh oh. I thought you said something else before. My tech guy will be here soon.
Anyways yes I did have a qt. But I already changed it to a core. I did that with both and 1 appears to be fine.. oh dear I technically haven't tried to transfer anything from it, but I have renewed everything so hopefully it is fine.

This wallet in question however has domains that are still glitched.