0 confirmations has turned LOST EVERYTHING!

Pif01010

Re: 0 confirmations has turned LOST EVERYTHING!

Post by Pif01010 »

Thanks I do have a few important questions though.
1. Can I download this version on to the same computer?
2. Will I be able to retrieve my domains or will I have to send them over 1 by 1
3. How do I get my funds back now that they are stuck pending in the wrong version now?

Plus to add I have trouble sometimes just moving domains from dotme.me to my wallets

and the above version probably showed up cause it's done being transferred now. But the big transfer is still stuck on zero.

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

PS
I did do a test and so far Norton blocks my attempt to download it.
Which I hate to be negative but that makes me worried what other potential investors will think when they see it.
I believe in you but I hope somebody is aware of that and is working on that because I see that as a hurdle for us all whether it scares us or not.

And finally I am concerned cause I have only 2 computers that the downloading, installing and working of wallets even work on, and both of them have namecoin wallets with $NMC already in there including names. Would this 64 version override the other versions?

PPS
I think I downloaded this version before, isn't this the one that says it's a beta version and that you should use at your own risk?
which again not to be negative but it goes back to some of my first concerns, a little bit different situation but the concern is itself is basically identical

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:Thanks I do have a few important questions though.
1. Can I download this version on to the same computer?
2. Will I be able to retrieve my domains or will I have to send them over 1 by 1
3. How do I get my funds back now that they are stuck pending in the wrong version now?

Plus to add I have trouble sometimes just moving domains from dotme.me to my wallets

and the above version probably showed up cause it's done being transferred now. But the big transfer is still stuck on zero.
Namecoin Core should work fine with your existing wallet file; the coins, names and transactions that you currently have in 0.3.80 should appear automatically when you run Namecoin Core.
Pif01010 wrote:PS
Which I hate to be negative but that makes me worried what other potential investors will think when they see it.
I believe in you but I hope somebody is aware of that and is working on that because I see that as a hurdle for us all whether it scares us or not.
Not certain what the cause of that would be; I'll look into it. My guess is that the most likely explanation is that Norton simply hasn't encountered that file before, and therefore thinks it's suspicious. (Yes, many modern antivirus programs consider any program they haven't seen many times before to be malware. Yes, that's insane behavior. No, I don't know why the antivirus vendors do this, other than lack of ethics.)
Pif01010 wrote:PPS
I think I downloaded this version before, isn't this the one that says it's a beta version and that you should use at your own risk?
which again not to be negative but it goes back to some of my first concerns, a little bit different situation but the concern is itself is basically identical
It does say that. However, empirically, the stability and security of 0.13.99-name-tab-beta1 have shown to be better than 0.3.80. I've been running 0.13.99-name-tab-beta1 as my primary wallet for many months and haven't had any showstopper issues. We do plan to release a version of Namecoin Core that doesn't have the beta warning in the future.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

biolizard89 wrote:
Pif01010 wrote:PS
Not certain what the cause of that would be; I'll look into it. My guess is that the most likely explanation is that Norton simply hasn't encountered that file before, and therefore thinks it's suspicious. (Yes, many modern antivirus programs consider any program they haven't seen many times before to be malware. Yes, that's insane behavior. No, I don't know why the antivirus vendors do this, other than lack of ethics.)
Norton is the same thing as Symantec, right? VirusTotal is reporting that Symantec doesn't see any problems with the Namecoin Core 0.13.99-name-tab-beta1 Win64 installer. https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/67b3 ... 501638660/

Baidu does seem to think it's a trojan, which doesn't surprise me because Baidu is in Chinese jurisdiction and is therefore ethically suspect on anything involving online censorship and online privacy. A few other antivirus products are flagging it as a Bitcoin miner, which is to be expected.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

okay I have updated, everything transferred fine. except the 805 coins, which said not in memory pool.
My tech guy and I may have jumped to make a decision too fast we canceled the transaction in hopes I can try again now, but the transaction now seems to not show up in either wallet, or the coins themselves I should say. Plus the coins I originally sent them from was ALSO qt. What can we do to recover the nmc from here?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:okay I have updated, everything transferred fine. except the 805 coins, which said not in memory pool.
My tech guy and I may have jumped to make a decision too fast we canceled the transaction in hopes I can try again now, but the transaction now seems to not show up in either wallet, or the coins themselves I should say. Plus the coins I originally sent them from was ALSO qt. What can we do to recover the nmc from here?
Okay, so let's try this.

First, exit Namecoin Core.

You're said you're on Windows 10, right? I haven't used Windows 10 in a few months, but I believe that if you open My Computer, and navigate to "C:\Program Files\Namecoin\" , there will be a button in the My Computer window to open a command prompt in that directory. Might need to click a drop-down in the top of the My Computer window to see that button. I suspect that your tech guy will be able to find it if you're not able to.

Once you've opened a command prompt in that directory, type the following:

namecoin-qt -rescan

And press Enter. Namecoin Core should launch and will show a progress bar as it rescans for transactions. This should take about 10-15 minutes. Once it finishes, exit Namecoin Core, and then start Namecoin Core the normal way (via the Start Menu). It is likely that your transactions and coins that had vanished will be back.

Let us know if that works.

Cheers!

EDIT: You'll want to do this for both of your Namecoin Core installations. I suspect that the coins will recover on the wallet that originally sent the transaction, but maybe they'll show up on the one that was supposed to receive it.
Last edited by biolizard89 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Typo, addendum

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Okay so I have a bit of news to get you guys caught up on some good and some not so great.
So my main wallet, the one I transferred to 805 to, we updated it to namecoin core, which was scary I didn't know if it would make me lose everything or what or if I would have to transfer everything over. Anyways what happened was it was very successful, everything transferred over but the 805 was still left in limbo. Then we realized we should have updated the other wallet I send from which was also qt.

I can't remember now did we cancel the transaction before updating the sending wallet first or did we update the sending wallet first.

Anyways I canceled the transaction from the receiving wallet.

Then both wallets stopped working somewhere in there.

We went back and changed both wallets back to Qt.

From there we canceled the transaction from the sending qt wallet.

And this the good news is that the sending wallet now is back up and running in qt mode with all lost funds.

However not so great news is both wallets are now glitched out from updating back to namecoin core or the 64 version.

My tech guy found in the debug log what we think is the problem. I can send that information in a moment or two....

But first maybe I should also mention, or start a new tech topic but I transferred a domain from dotbit.me and I didn't receive the pending transaction nor do either of us have the transaction ID they gave me the address that it is located and notified me on the blocks left, seems to have some time left. Just to make you aware maybe you or my tech guy or both can help me figure out that one.

fortunately I did not lose my NMC but I would prefer to get everything off this wallet and if I want to send NMC back and forth I better update my wallets, but they aren't working now for some reason.

Anyways should I send the debug info or could that be info that could lead to hacking and thus ought I send that info someplace more private?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:Okay so I have a bit of news to get you guys caught up on some good and some not so great.
So my main wallet, the one I transferred to 805 to, we updated it to namecoin core, which was scary I didn't know if it would make me lose everything or what or if I would have to transfer everything over. Anyways what happened was it was very successful, everything transferred over but the 805 was still left in limbo. Then we realized we should have updated the other wallet I send from which was also qt.

I can't remember now did we cancel the transaction before updating the sending wallet first or did we update the sending wallet first.

Anyways I canceled the transaction from the receiving wallet.

Then both wallets stopped working somewhere in there.

We went back and changed both wallets back to Qt.

From there we canceled the transaction from the sending qt wallet.

And this the good news is that the sending wallet now is back up and running in qt mode with all lost funds.

However not so great news is both wallets are now glitched out from updating back to namecoin core or the 64 version.

My tech guy found in the debug log what we think is the problem. I can send that information in a moment or two....

But first maybe I should also mention, or start a new tech topic but I transferred a domain from dotbit.me and I didn't receive the pending transaction nor do either of us have the transaction ID they gave me the address that it is located and notified me on the blocks left, seems to have some time left. Just to make you aware maybe you or my tech guy or both can help me figure out that one.

fortunately I did not lose my NMC but I would prefer to get everything off this wallet and if I want to send NMC back and forth I better update my wallets, but they aren't working now for some reason.

Anyways should I send the debug info or could that be info that could lead to hacking and thus ought I send that info someplace more private?
The contents of debug.log shouldn't contain any information that would let someone steal your coins or names, but it might contain information that could reveal who you are, how many coins you own, whom you've transacted with, and what names you own. If you prefer to keep that information non-public, you're welcome to send the debug.log info to me and/or Cassini via whatever private method you wish. Something like OpenPGP, Bitmessage, or OTR would be the most secure way to send it to us, but if you like you can use forum PM or standard email. The debug.log info would definitely be useful in diagnosing things, so if it's feasible we would definitely appreciate you sending it to us.

Cheers!

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Okay I'm not the most familiar with those methods but yeah lets go for it.
I am also noticing domains seem to be getting harder to buy and renew, must be the qt version, but that being said hopefully it won't take too long cause I have a bunch of domains expiring soon plus some not passing the pending.

But thanks to everyone who helped thus far.
I hope my post doesn't scare people away from Namecoin, I think it's the best, and to be clear to any non employee, they were able to help me get everything back, though we still have a few bugs, we got every NMC back. So thank you everyone for helping.

But that being said.. what do we do from here?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:Okay I'm not the most familiar with those methods but yeah lets go for it.
I am also noticing domains seem to be getting harder to buy and renew, must be the qt version, but that being said hopefully it won't take too long cause I have a bunch of domains expiring soon plus some not passing the pending.

But thanks to everyone who helped thus far.
I hope my post doesn't scare people away from Namecoin, I think it's the best, and to be clear to any non employee, they were able to help me get everything back, though we still have a few bugs, we got every NMC back. So thank you everyone for helping.

But that being said.. what do we do from here?
How soon are your names expiring? The fastest way to get the debug.log information to me would be to email it to jeremy@namecoin.org . If you wish to get the information to me in a more private way, we can attempt that, but it will take longer for me to walk you through that, and I wouldn't want you to lose any names. For what it's worth, I suspect that if you're using Windows without Tor, the adversaries who can read emails from you to me can already easily figure out what transactions are yours, so I'm skeptical that using a more private method actually has utility here. (Pro-tip: consider switching to Linux in the future, and consider using Tor in the future, if you want better privacy.)

Cheers!