0 confirmations has turned LOST EVERYTHING!

Pif01010

0 confirmations has turned LOST EVERYTHING!

Post by Pif01010 »

Well I'm getting to be in a bit impatient mood between btc-e loosing money and trying to buy and trade up to get back some of my namecoins, I transferred a view to a less secure wallet and transferred the other 800 + I listened to someones advice on here about canceling the trans action but now the money is in neither wallets and no where to be seen? All I have left is a transaction ID but who do I even give that to that I can trust won't seal it? is there a phone number to walk me through it? I can't keep losing coins! I lost enough over the last week! And I wish someone here to talk with right now

cassini

Re: 0 confirmations has turned LOST EVERYTHING!

Post by cassini »

Pif01010 wrote:Well I'm getting to be in a bit impatient mood
You haven't provided us with any useful information. We need a lot more data from you if you want us to help you identifying the problem.
Pif01010 wrote:One is NMC core I'm pretty for sure
"NMC core" does not exist.

We need these bits of information:

a) Which Windows version?
b) Where did you try to send NMCs from and to? Did you send from your local wallet to an exchange? Or from an exchange to your local wallet? Or from one local wallet to a second local wallet?
c) Which Namecoin software are you using on your PC? (It is the first line in your debug.log file. Something like "namecoin version 0.3.80" or "Namecoin version v0.14.99.0-g23c9c54" or similar)
d) What is the transaction number?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Giving someone a transaction ID won't let them steal the funds, the worst they can do is deanonymize the transactions made with the wallet that produced the transaction.

Something you can try is the following:

1. Close Namecoin Core.
2. Open a command prompt (type "cmd" at the Start Menu).
3. Change to the directory where Namecoin Core is installed; it'll be something like this: cd "C:\Program Files\Namecoin\"
4. Type the following: namecoin-qt -rescan
5. Wait about 10 minutes for Namecoin Core to rescan the blockchain for transactions.

If you're lucky, this will recover whatever transaction is missing. Let us know how it goes.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

I'm on a windows version 10 on both computers,
I just tried sending coins from 1 qt wallet to another.
I successfully got the coins off the exchanges, its just 1 qt wallet to another
based on everything I can see in the debug window it says my wallet/ wallets are both
0.3.80 qt, I'm not sure what else you might be refferrng to at this point.

I have the transaction number and it feels like both a good and a bad thing, good in that it shows proof and the possibility I can retrieve it.
But I worry if I give out trans action Id it makes it more possible for people to hack? Am I just being paranoid?

"so close namecoin core..."
okay I have an icon on the one computer that says namecoin core but I don't know what it is and how to either open or close it.
It just sort of sits there. And when I click to open it, the logo pops up for a few seconds and then closes.

well at least this opportunity is giving me an opportunity to figure out some things I have been curious about.

the change in directory stuff makes me super nervous changing directory, I don't want to lose everything in the wallet, too many important names.

I did get some help and finally sort of got command prompt working but he said some arrow should come up giving me more options? I didn't get anything like that, it was sort of a black command box like my friends linX computer. tried putting in the cmd thing but that didn't seem to do much.

I could try to include a pic in next post if needed.

Okay a few interesting things happened.

Since then I tried sending another 5 nmc the same way, I figured it might force through the congestion that way but now the 5 nmc seems to not show confirmations either.
There is some good news though, since I was writing this the 805 nmc appeared back in the waiting to he confirmed side of the wallet, it all seems to be having trouble receiving confirmations, maybe its too early. Also perhaps worth mentioning is I seem to only have 8 or 9 connections to namecoin, is that normal? Could that have something to do with it?

Anyways should I send pic and do all that stuff now? it seems the nmc is waiting transfer again but doesn't seem to be confirming?

I think I will come back in about an hour or so, and see what you guys said and let you know of any updates on my end.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:I'm on a windows version 10 on both computers,
I just tried sending coins from 1 qt wallet to another.
I successfully got the coins off the exchanges, its just 1 qt wallet to another
based on everything I can see in the debug window it says my wallet/ wallets are both
0.3.80 qt, I'm not sure what else you might be refferrng to at this point.
Just to verify: In your Namecoin wallet application (which will either be called Namecoin-Qt or Namecoin Core), click "Help", then click "About Namecoin Core". (The latter might also be called "About Namecoin-Qt", "About Namecoin", or something similar. You do *not* want "About Qt".) It should popup with a dialog that includes a version number. Please tell us the entire contents of the line (probably will be the top line) that has the version number. For example, mine is "Namecoin Core version nc0.13.99-name-tab-beta1 (64-bit)". In particular, we mostly care about the version number, which will be something along the lines of "0.3.72", "0.3.80", "0.12.0", "0.13.99", or something of similar structure.

Please do the above on both of the wallets you have (since they might be different versions from each other).
Pif01010 wrote:I have the transaction number and it feels like both a good and a bad thing, good in that it shows proof and the possibility I can retrieve it.
But I worry if I give out trans action Id it makes it more possible for people to hack? Am I just being paranoid?
The transaction ID is already public information in the blockchain; it doesn't enable stealing any funds. However, it's not currently public *which* transaction ID belongs to you. So if you reveal your transaction ID, you reveal the fact that some of the transactions in your wallet were made by you. This might be used to deanonymize you, particularly if someone already knows your legal name in the context of some other transactions you made with the same wallet (for example, an exchange might know your legal name, and might have made transactions to your wallet when you withdrew funds from them -- the exchange might be able to use your transaction ID to figure out that you made that transaction).

I suspect that Cassini wanted to check whether the transaction is currently confirmed according to a block explorer. Assuming that that's what he wanted to do, you can check this yourself. Visit https://namecoin.webbtc.com or https://namecha.in , search for the transaction ID, and if it's confirmed, you should get a result that shows the addresses involved in the transaction and what block height it was confirmed in. If you don't want the block explorer operator to know who you are, do this via Tor Browser (otherwise the block explorer will see your IP address and could deanonymize you).
Pif01010 wrote:"so close namecoin core..."
okay I have an icon on the one computer that says namecoin core but I don't know what it is and how to either open or close it.
It just sort of sits there. And when I click to open it, the logo pops up for a few seconds and then closes.

We'll come back to this after you've confirmed what version of Namecoin you're running.
Pif01010 wrote:well at least this opportunity is giving me an opportunity to figure out some things I have been curious about.

the change in directory stuff makes me super nervous changing directory, I don't want to lose everything in the wallet, too many important names.

I did get some help and finally sort of got command prompt working but he said some arrow should come up giving me more options? I didn't get anything like that, it was sort of a black command box like my friends linX computer. tried putting in the cmd thing but that didn't seem to do much.

I could try to include a pic in next post if needed.
We'll come back to this as well after we've verified what version of Namecoin you're running.
Pif01010 wrote:Okay a few interesting things happened.

Since then I tried sending another 5 nmc the same way, I figured it might force through the congestion that way but now the 5 nmc seems to not show confirmations either.
There is some good news though, since I was writing this the 805 nmc appeared back in the waiting to he confirmed side of the wallet, it all seems to be having trouble receiving confirmations, maybe its too early. Also perhaps worth mentioning is I seem to only have 8 or 9 connections to namecoin, is that normal? Could that have something to do with it?
8 connections is normal. By default, Namecoin selects 8 random peers from the P2P network and only connects to those; this is intended to reduce load on the network.

I'm curious what block height your Namecoin client is at, but we'll come back to that question after we've verified what version of Namecoin you're running.
Pif01010 wrote:Anyways should I send pic and do all that stuff now? it seems the nmc is waiting transfer again but doesn't seem to be confirming?
If you find it convenient to send a screenshot of the About Namecoin screen that has your version number on it, feel free to do that. I don't think we require any additional screenshots besides that at this point, though we might benefit from it later.
Pif01010 wrote:I think I will come back in about an hour or so, and see what you guys said and let you know of any updates on my end.
Just for the record, while I'm usually happy to provide tech support, I have limited time in my schedule, and time spent providing tech support is time that I can't spend coding. It's unlikely that you'll reliably get replies here within an hour, but you might get lucky at times. Please don't take this personally, we simply do not have the human resources available to reply to support requests instantly. (None of us are paid to provide tech support.)

Cheers.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

okay both are Namecoin-Qt 0.3.80

So I am glad for that resource link about the transaction number stuff, however...
my 3 transactions TR-ID aren't showing up at all, should that be concerning?
I guess perhaps they aren't showing up because no confirmations have been made,
they have both been stuck at 0 for hours now.
Oh yeah I said 3 because there's also a domain not going anywhere.

78d7347d1b7d0e7644242c6ab2ba3823c6030979b89b162d66cb50d947dc3941

6b63ac9393e3fde893f29d470c50d7fe7e021da39632b7393c011a36473ed33c

I haven't had these issues before, with the domain names however I can just buy it again and that seems to overwrite the glitch but the above shows the NMC I am trying to send.

How do I post pictures? Wait I'm going to try this attachment feature.
Attachments
trid5.png
trid5.png (136.04 KiB) Viewed 65929 times
trid805.png
trid805.png (145.21 KiB) Viewed 65929 times

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

okay I also tried created a new address and doing another 5 coin tester
that transaction Id isn't showing up in the block search results either?

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

So I am trying to trouble shoot some stuff by testing some things so I decided to send 2 coins back to myself. The one thing I noticed from this was this trans action doesn't show up on that block search either?

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Okay it looks like the small tester coins have gotten through on both sides, so that is good.
Do you think after enough time it will just confirm? Is it weird that the transaction ID isn't showing up in the block search?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:okay both are Namecoin-Qt 0.3.80
Okay, so this is most likely the problem. Namecoin 0.3.80 is old enough that 50% of the transactions it sends don't confirm (this is called the low-s rule, if you're curious -- but the details don't matter, the gist is that 0.3.80 doesn't reliably send transactions anymore). Here's what I recommend:

1. Exit from Namecoin-Qt.
2. Go to https://www.namecoin.org/download/ and download the 64-bit installer for Namecoin Core. Run the installer and let it install.
3. Namecoin Core should now be available from your start menu; run it.
4. Make sure that the version (as per my previous instructions) is now nc0.13.99-name-tab-beta1.

Let us know when you've done this, and we can move onto the next step.
Pif01010 wrote:So I am glad for that resource link about the transaction number stuff, however...
my 3 transactions TR-ID aren't showing up at all, should that be concerning?
I guess perhaps they aren't showing up because no confirmations have been made,
they have both been stuck at 0 for hours now.
Oh yeah I said 3 because there's also a domain not going anywhere.

78d7347d1b7d0e7644242c6ab2ba3823c6030979b89b162d66cb50d947dc3941

6b63ac9393e3fde893f29d470c50d7fe7e021da39632b7393c011a36473ed33c
The latter transaction has confirmed according to Namecha.in; the former transaction has not. I just noticed that Webbtc's block explorer seems to have gotten stuck about a month ago; someone should probably notify Marius about that. In the meantime use Namecha.in instead of Webbtc.

Anyway, this is consistent with the expected issues caused by using Namecoin 0.3.80.