0 confirmations has turned LOST EVERYTHING!

biolizard89

Re: 0 confirmations has turned LOST EVERYTHING!

Post by biolizard89 »

If Pif01010 wishes to send the wallet.dat to a Namecoin developer for debugging, I'd prefer that it be sent to Cassini rather than me; Cassini has quite a bit more experience debugging this kind of thing.
Pif01010 wrote:Well so far I tried overwriting it on one of my computers.
It worked at first but now it's getting buggy and now it's back in qt mode for some reason.
I noticed something interesting just now upon testing in a Windows 7 VM. It looks like Namecoin 0.3.80 installs itself to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Namecoin" (because it's 32-bit), while Namecoin Core 64-bit installs itself to "C:\Program Files\Namecoin". This means that you might have some residual stuff left over from the 0.3.80 installation that makes 0.3.80 start on boot or something like that.

So, what I'd suggest in order to make sure that the old 0.3.80 release goes away is:

1. Make sure that Namecoin 0.3.80 is not running, and that Namecoin Core is not running.
2. Open up My Computer, and navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Namecoin". (The "(x86)" is important!)
3. This directory should contain a bunch of files, including namecoind.exe, namecoin-qt.exe, and unins000.exe.
4. Double-click on unins000.exe; it will remove Namecoin 0.3.80 32-bit.
5. Namecoin Core should still be available from your Start Menu; if it's not, re-run the Namecoin Core 64-bit installer to re-install Namecoin Core.
6. Run Namecoin Core from your Start Menu.
Pif01010 wrote:I had qt namecoin wallet on another computer that I tried sending back to the other qt I attempted up on grade on the one qt and it worked at first I worried I would lose everything but it was held intact. but it glitched out and went back to qt for some reason ..(hence the delog).

I had another qt wallet, I was a bit nervous to attempt another upgrade but I did but it turned into two wallets. sending domains was instant but NMC seemed slow or unable under curtain circumstances to but it crashed on the namecoin core side of things, qt is workings just renewal and money transfer poses challenges/ getting a namecoin core wallet.
It's not clear to me what exactly you're saying is slow. Is Namecoin Core taking a long time to sync the blockchain? (If so, there will be a progress bar at the bottom of the Namecoin Core window that says "Synchronizing with network" along with how much is left to sync.) Are transactions that you send taking a long time to confirm?

At the bottom right of the Namecoin Core window, there will be three icons. Hover your mouse over the middle one (between the "NMC" icon and the checkmark icon); it will say something like "8 active connection(s) to Namecoin network". What number does it say? If it's less than 4 or so, then that might indicate an issue that we can help you fix.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

johnc

Post by johnc »

once you upgrade to Namecoin core you should make sure that the old wallet doesn't run again. It's safe to unninstall namecoin-qt because it will not delete the wallet.dat

i think there may be problems if you run namecoin qt after installing namecoin core.

So unninstall namecoin qt and run namecoin core.

if namecoin core have any problem, restart the computer and try again, if still have problems, try uninstall and install again. if still have problems, delete most files on c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\namecoin (but not wallet.dat) and try again.

having backups of wallet.dat is great but make sure to only use them in case of emergency and never use them on different computers at the same time, keep backups every 50 tx or so but always use the most recent wallet.dat.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

johnc wrote:once you upgrade to Namecoin core you should make sure that the old wallet doesn't run again. It's safe to unninstall namecoin-qt because it will not delete the wallet.dat

i think there may be problems if you run namecoin qt after installing namecoin core.

So unninstall namecoin qt and run namecoin core.
Generally agreed. I don't really trust Namecoin 0.3.80 to not do weird things; exclusively running Namecoin Core is a good idea unless there's a very good reason not to.
johnc wrote: if namecoin core have any problem, restart the computer and try again, if still have problems, try uninstall and install again. if still have problems, delete most files on c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\namecoin (but not wallet.dat) and try again.
As far as I can tell, Pif01010 hasn't reported any behavior that would make me suspect a corrupted blockchain. But yes, if the blockchain or chainstate is somehow corrupted, renaming the blockchain and chainstate folders and letting them re-download would fix it. (Should only take about 3-4 hours assuming decent connectivity.) Renaming is safer than deleting.
johnc wrote:having backups of wallet.dat is great but make sure to only use them in case of emergency and never use them on different computers at the same time, keep backups every 50 tx or so but always use the most recent wallet.dat.
Non-HD wallets aren't designed to be used on multiple computers at once. Any wallet imported from 0.3.80 is non-HD, so it shouldn't be used with multiple computers at once. Non-HD wallets also need to be backed up again periodically (every 50 transactions should be fine). Happily, we've moving toward HD wallets, so this won't be an issue in the future.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Ooh that sounds like good advice. I may need my tech guy to reinterpret it's going over my head a little right now.
Anyways...
I finally have namecoin on a computer that doesn't have qt, wait do I still have that?
Okay thank God I did delete the qt off of that one so this should work.
Its a labtop which I never got wallets to work well but maybe this will.

I am doing some small tests sending a few coins and stuff.
If what you say works maybe I could do it like that.
If its a glitch or something in the blockchain I will try to see him before Tuesday cause I have to see my Linx friend on Wednesday
so I would be able to send a better debug code file by then if need be.

two things I am wondering what do I do if there is trouble sending NMC from qt to core should that be an issue?
And what do I do if I have names pending and the blocks won't go through? Just cancel transaction and try it on core?
or is there away to transfer it some how?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:two things I am wondering what do I do if there is trouble sending NMC from qt to core should that be an issue?
The recommended procedure is to remove Namecoin 0.3.80 (via unins000.exe as described earlier), and install Namecoin Core onto the machine that used to have 0.3.80. Namecoin Core will automatically detect the wallet file that 0.3.80 previously had (meaning that your coins and names will automatically show up in Namecoin Core).

If, for some reason, you want to send NMC from Namecoin Core on one computer to Namecoin Core on another, that shouldn't cause problems as long as Namecoin Core is used on the sending computer (don't use 0.3.80).
Pif01010 wrote:And what do I do if I have names pending and the blocks won't go through? Just cancel transaction and try it on core?
or is there away to transfer it some how?
Follow the aforementioned procedure to remove 0.3.80 and install Core. At that point, if the transaction isn't being confirmed, you can cancel the transaction (I believe the command for this is "abandontransaction", see Cassini's comments about it, or look for instructions for Bitcoin; abandontransaction works the same on Bitcoin Core and Namecoin Core). Once you've abandoned the transaction, you can try to send the transaction again (I don't expect any problems to occur at this point as long as you send the transaction with Namecoin Core).

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Well switching seems glitched on both computers.
I found the better debug log, I should be able to send that on Wednesday w/out my techguy

As for the one with the most NMC I am able to send 1 coin at a time no problem but it seems 5 or more take for ever.

Is there any other ways to get them off there?

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

PS
I have my new core on not the best of computers.
I would prefer to buy a linux in the future, will transferring wallets to a linux create problems in the future?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:Well switching seems glitched on both computers.
I found the better debug log, I should be able to send that on Wednesday w/out my techguy

As for the one with the most NMC I am able to send 1 coin at a time no problem but it seems 5 or more take for ever.

Is there any other ways to get them off there?
Are the coins in the sending wallet obtained via mining, by any chance? If so, what pool do you use? What version of Namecoin are you using to send the coins?
Pif01010 wrote:I would prefer to buy a linux in the future, will transferring wallets to a linux create problems in the future?
Moving your Namecoin profile folder from Windows to GNU/Linux shouldn't cause any problems; the format is identical regardless of operating system.

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Okay new update I just sent a new email with the debug code yesterday. I did it from my friends linux again but we forgot which email we sent from originally. So I used proton mail hopefully that's secure. The .txt doc was the version where the error was isolated so hopefully that both gives you enough info and hackers or whoever else not enough.

Anyways in attempts to renew and fix everything I did download a namecoin core on another computer. In some ways its way better, like I was never able to get a qt to work on that computer.

But I am having some issues including a bit of a glitch that may or may not serious, but annoying for sure.

I was wondering should I just start another thread about that?

That way others can learn from my namecoin core issue and we can continue to stay a little more on topic here.
But it is related in that its plan B in attempts to fix this issue and it might be less confusing to keep everything on this thread.
What do you guys think?

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

Oh I missed your last response there. Weird.
I was a little wondering why I hadn't heard anything.
Some sort of Mandela effect thing going on here. J/J

To answer that question , no I haven't done any mining.
the 800 coins I bought recently with some of my last of my savings
and the other computer that is qt that I sent the debug code for I lucked and bought lots back when it was
at its all time low.

So not the mining.
My tech guy thought it had more something to do with that I tried to send the 800 NMC to the other qt and I canceled the transaction from the wrong computer, like he thinks it could have something to do with not canceling from the sending wallet rather than the receiving qt wallet.

Does that ring a bell by any chance?