How to run namecoind without it quiting

namesis

How to run namecoind without it quiting

Post by namesis »

Hi ,
Can anyone tell me why the following happens:
I run namecoind.exe located in (c:\programfiles\namecoin\namecoind)...
And then as soon as the command line interface starts it quits.
However when I add the namecoin.conf file in the namecoin/app data folder then it starts to run constantly.
But this too only after I have added a parameter or 2 like: rpcuser= ..... and rpcpassword=......

What are all the exact variables I need to have in the .conf file to get namecoind to run continuously without it just closing so that I can use namecoind.
Sometimes I create the conf file and it gets created and sometimes not. What is the exact conf file creation method
Thanks

biolizard89

Re: How to run namecoind without it quiting

Post by biolizard89 »

namesis wrote:Hi ,
Can anyone tell me why the following happens:
I run namecoind.exe located in (c:\programfiles\namecoin\namecoind)...
And then as soon as the command line interface starts it quits.
However when I add the namecoin.conf file in the namecoin/app data folder then it starts to run constantly.
But this too only after I have added a parameter or 2 like: rpcuser= ..... and rpcpassword=......

What are all the exact variables I need to have in the .conf file to get namecoind to run continuously without it just closing so that I can use namecoind.
Sometimes I create the conf file and it gets created and sometimes not. What is the exact conf file creation method
Thanks
Which version of namecoind are you running? 0.3.80 or Namecoin Core?

Namecoin Core will, by default, use cookie authentication, so that you don't need to create a namecoin.conf file. You can still use password-based authentication with Namecoin Core as before if you create namecoin.conf and add the "rpcuser" and "rpcpassword" options in it.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

namesis

Post by namesis »

I have installed 3.8 in c:programfiles
Can you post a standard .conf file here. Let me have a look at what i am doing wrong.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

namesis wrote:I have installed 3.8 in c:programfiles
Can you post a standard .conf file here. Let me have a look at what i am doing wrong.
Any chance you could try Namecoin Core 0.13.99-name-tab-beta1? It's available for download at https://namecoin.org/download/betas/ . It shouldn't need a namecoin.conf in order for namecoind and namecoin-cli to work.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

namesis

Post by namesis »

Ok will try that.

namesis

Post by namesis »

Hi,
Running Namecoin Core 0.13.99-name-tab-beta1, means i will have to download blockchain from scratch right?
If i use my current updated blockchain which i downloaded with client 3.8 would it not be possible to just run core13.99. Will core replace any files on installation in: namecoin app data file?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

namesis wrote:Hi,
Running Namecoin Core 0.13.99-name-tab-beta1, means i will have to download blockchain from scratch right?
If i use my current updated blockchain which i downloaded with client 3.8 would it not be possible to just run core13.99. Will core replace any files on installation in: namecoin app data file?
Namecoin Core shouldn't need to download the blockchain again, but it will reindex the blockchain from 0.3.80. If I recall correctly, this takes about 10-20 minutes.

namesis

Post by namesis »

biolizard89 wrote:
Namecoin Core shouldn't need to download the blockchain again, but it will reindex the blockchain from 0.3.80. If I recall correctly, this takes about 10-20 minutes.
Thanks Bio
I'm just wondering.I now want to now set up my nameserver. Does .bit have any other additional requirements to setup my forwarding or is it just the standard dns routine stuff.Also is there any dns provider thats dedicated to routing .bit tld's. i used zoneedit for my other tld's but is there one for .bits?, i need to check with zones as well.
Thanks for reply

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

namesis wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
Thanks Bio
I'm just wondering.I now want to now set up my nameserver. Does .bit have any other additional requirements to setup my forwarding or is it just the standard dns routine stuff.Also is there any dns provider thats dedicated to routing .bit tld's. i used zoneedit for my other tld's but is there one for .bits?, i need to check with zones as well.
Thanks for reply
If you want to use a nameserver, just set the "ns" and (preferably) "ds" fields in your Namecoin name to your nameserver (they're analogous to the NS and DS records in DNS). The nameserver shouldn't need any unusual configuration; it just needs to respond to queries for your .bit domain (and sign them with the DNSSEC key as specified in your "ds" field, if it exists).

I don't know of any nameserver providers who specialize in .bit, but there aren't any special requirements, so any nameserver provider should work (unless they specifically blacklist domains that aren't under an ICANN-issued TLD).

I'm not sure what you mean with the zoneedit question -- if you want to store the configuration in the Namecoin blockchain without using a nameserver, see the .bit JSON specification: https://github.com/ifa-wg/proposals/blo ... fa-0001.md

namesis

Post by namesis »

namesis wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
Thanks Bio
Thanks for reply
Hi Bio,
Not to worry anymore, while you were absent for a short bit I managed to sort out all issues with my client. I ran core0.13, did a blockchain sync, and did a rescan on the chain and all is well. I guess problem was on my side with wallet transactions not being picked up.

Thanks for the help.
Your'e a star.