0 confirmation- what do i do?

Swedespade

0 confirmation- what do i do?

Post by Swedespade »

Using QT version 5.3.0
Tried to send coins to an exchange from my wallet
0 confirmations since 11PM last night

https://bchain.info/NMC/addr/N2d4TEoBvZ ... wAoEouDc2J

Can someone help me solve this? Will tip :)
skype id = m.jonsson3

cassini

Re: 0 confirmation- what do i do?

Post by cassini »

A few hints:

(1) What is the Namecoin client version? (should be something like 0.xx.xx)
(you provided us with the Qt library version)

(2) Which operating system and version?

(3) Start the Namecoin client again and wait at least 3 hours. At the moment it is pretty common that a transaction gets refused at some of the mining pools. However, the client software resends it every 30 mins. or so, and the transaction eventually gets included in one of the next 10 or 20 blocks.

(4) If running the client for 3 or more hours doesn't help then do the following:
Open the Debug Window and enter

Code: Select all

listtransactions
Post the last or the last two relevant transaction records here in this thread. (It may display two transactions instead of one, depending on the client version and the handling of the network fee).

(If everything goes wrong I can later show you how to delete this pending transaction. This should bring the visible NMC amount back to your wallet. But first of all please comment on the 4 suggestions/questions above.)

Swedespade

Post by Swedespade »

1) v0.3.80

2) Windows 10

3) waited for quite a while...

4)
{
"account" : "crypt",
"address" : "NCMoLvnU2QSp8zsg5d9DgakqZ6odDoSJvY",
"category" : "receive",
"amount" : 967.97715389,
"confirmations" : 22676,
"txid" : "8762bae39cc30662eb5a0fe8a65a59c4e64abdc032d3234b63b88859465975fd",
"time" : 1452625475
},
{
"account" : "",
"address" : "N2d4TEoBvZpVeA1b61wsiihEwAoEouDc2J",
"category" : "send",
"amount" : -1009.60000000,
"fee" : -0.01215389,
"confirmations" : 0,
"txid" : "5321fe9445084b959685eb7137e8f9a0ada6a0c0fbad4ce1a25cc393de07a6fe",
"time" : 1465260235
}
]

Thanks for the help! Lets get me back in action:)

cassini

Post by cassini »

1) Make a note of the current "Balance" of your wallet.

2) Open the Console inside the Debug Window. If I remember correctly it is in the Help menu:
Help > Debug Window > Console

3) Enter

getinfo
One of the output lines start with "balance". It should contain the same amount as was shown in step (1)

4) Enter the following: (or better copy-paste it)

deletetransaction 5321fe9445084b959685eb7137e8f9a0ada6a0c0fbad4ce1a25cc393de07a6fe
You'll then be asked to restart the software. Ignore this for the moment.

5) Enter getinfo again.
Does the "balance" field now display a larger sum than before?

6) Also note the changes in the "Balance" field in the standard GUI window.

7) Now restart the software.

Swedespade

Post by Swedespade »

Thanks you,

How do I proceed to send it somewhere else now?

cassini

Post by cassini »

Swedespade wrote:How do I proceed to send it somewhere else now?
Simply try again. However, there is still a small risk that your transaction gets stuck again. If you want to reduce this risk, do the following:

Use a Namecoin explorer and check if one or more blocks out of the latest 30 blocks are unusually large, see screenshot. By "large" I mean more than 300 transactions. In this situation do not use your 0.3.80 client for sending NMCs or for name operations. Wait a few hours and check again.
webbtc.jpg
webbtc.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 9113 times

Some background information: Currently we have the unfortunate combination of two different client architectures (0.3.xx, Core) both in user clients as well as in mining pool servers. The main issue in this situation is that the old 0.3.xx clients do not comply with the "Low S values in signatures" rule, see
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/ma ... signatures

This means that 50% of all transactions generated by old clients are deprecated "High S value" transactions. F2Pool and some of the very small pools refuse to accept these transactions. Only Slush, Eligius, bitminter and ghash.io still accept both the "Low S value" as well as the "High S value" transactions.

In other words, when a "name squatter" uses an old client and updates 100 names within a short period of time then approximately 50 name operations get included in the very next block, and the remaining 50 names have to wait for a Slush/Eligius/bitminter/ghash.io block. (There are several scenarios that can temporarily affect this 50/50 acceptance rate, see below).

In this situation the network occationally gets congested with pending transactions (in technical terms: limited by mempool size/block size or BDB limit). There is a high risk that a transaction then becomes an eternally pending transaction because of an intrinsic timeout effect. If the transaction doesn't manage to get included in a block within a few hours it is going to be refused forever.

Causes for an acceptance rate different to the abovementioned 50/50 ratio are, for example:
1) If an old client is "surrounded" by NamecoinCore clients then 0% of the transactions find their way to a mining pool, because all the NamecoinCore clients refuse to relay "High S value" transactions. However, there is a good chance that after a while one or more of the connected NamecoinCore clients disconnect, and our poor old client may be lucky and establish a contiguous 0.3.x relay node path to one of the Slush/Eligius/bitminter/ghash.io group. The internal ResendWalletTransaction function then automatically transmits the pending transactions to the network again (and tries every 30 minutes until successfully included in a block).

2) Deliberate changes to the client configuration. Example: if an old client connects to exactly one of the Slush/Eligius/bitminter/ghash.io servers (using the -connect= parameter) then 50% to 100% of the transactions get mined by Slush/Eligius/bitminter/ghash.io, and less than 50 % get mined by F2Pool et al.

Note: Namecoin Core users (i.e. version number > 0.3.xx) are not affected by this phenomenon.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

@cassini Should we ask F2Pool to resume mining deprecated transactions until the AAA hardfork activates (at which point it doesn't matter)? Benefit would be decreased network congestion for 0.3.x users; drawback would be increased risk of malleability attacks against Core users. Personally I'm okay with giving users an incentive to upgrade to Core, but I'm curious if anyone else disagrees.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

cassini

Post by cassini »

biolizard89 wrote:@cassini Should we ask F2Pool to resume mining deprecated transactions until the AAA hardfork activates
I am hesitant to endorse this step backwards.
What about a patch solution for 0.3.80 clients?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

cassini wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:@cassini Should we ask F2Pool to resume mining deprecated transactions until the AAA hardfork activates
I am hesitant to endorse this step backwards.
That is my inclination too. Those transactions are deprecated for a solid security reason.
cassini wrote:What about a patch solution for 0.3.80 clients?
I think our time is better spent on replacing 0.3.80 clients with Namecoin Core. We're almost done with that task, and IMO the decreased congestion for Namecoin Core users is actually a good thing, because it motivates users to upgrade.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

RubberJJ

Post by RubberJJ »

Hy, please help me!
I have sent NMC from BTC-e to poloniex yesterday, but still 0 confirmation!
Can i do anything?Or i have to wait for BTC-e to slove this becouse they started the transaction and they have to cancel it and restart? Or i already lost all my money?