Issues with Namecoin 3.8.0 - Not creating files

Deffy

Re: Issues with Namecoin 3.8.0 - Not creating files

Post by Deffy »

Rebooted my computer and opened up the app and see this at the top:

"WARNING: Displayed transactions may not be correct! You may need to upgrade, or other nodes may need to upgrade."

upnp is activated and I have several other wallets (Dobbscoin, Blackcoin, Dogecoin, and Peercoin) that work fine.

Tried adding the namecoin.conf file and the -printtoconsole and -dbcache=400, but no luck.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Deffy wrote:I seem to be stuck on one particular block, it's been on Block 141 for almost 20 hours. I do see the total number of blocks increasing and I have 8 connections.
I'm a bit confused by this. What is on block 141 exactly, and what count of blocks is increasing? (These two statements seem mutually incompatible, which is why I'm confused.)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

johnc

Post by johnc »

bio, he possibly sees the latest block as 286386 or something and the blocks he has as 141. This is the problem i was saying on the other thread. it just stops randomly. For a new user to see the block sync count stuck for an hour is like it got stuck forever.

Deffy

Post by Deffy »

In the Debug Window under Block Chain I see the following:

Current Number of blocks: 141 (where it has been for a very, very long time)
Estimated Total Blocks: 286426 (This number seems to increase from time to time) (Update: This has increased to 286437)
Last Block Time: Thu Apr 21 01:38:34 2011 (This date has stayed the same)

I always see at least 8 to 9 connections. I've had this wallet running for a few days and haven't seen it move. I have 4 other wallets and they all synch like champs.

cassini

Post by cassini »

As I can only speak for OSX and to some extent for Linux, the following might be complete nonsense. However, it seems there is still some leftovers from old Namecoin database files on your harddisk.
The effects you observe look precisely like those I got when I made some experiments with "recycling" old database files a while ago. At first everything looks promising, and all of a sudden the sync process stalls. Depending on the old/new client's file versions this can happen at around block 100, 10000, 100000 or at any other time.

Therefore the safest advice here is: don't bother cleaning up AppData or Roaming directories. Just create a completely new directory somewhere else, and copy the Namecoin exe to that place. Create an empty namecoin.conf there, and then run the exe file and let it create all the files here and only here:

Code: Select all

cd \shinynewdirectory
namecoin-qt.exe -datadir=. -conf=.\namecoin.conf -printtoconsole
(This is the syntax I remember from vintage MS-Windows versions. Anyone with Win8 experience correct me please.)

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Deffy wrote:In the Debug Window under Block Chain I see the following:

Current Number of blocks: 141 (where it has been for a very, very long time)
Estimated Total Blocks: 286426 (This number seems to increase from time to time) (Update: This has increased to 286437)
Last Block Time: Thu Apr 21 01:38:34 2011 (This date has stayed the same)

I always see at least 8 to 9 connections. I've had this wallet running for a few days and haven't seen it move. I have 4 other wallets and they all synch like champs.
Ah, I see. For some reason I had forgotten that "Total Blocks" was the string displayed to measure the estimated block count of remote peers. My bad. Thanks Deffy and johnc for clarifying.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

cassini wrote:As I can only speak for OSX and to some extent for Linux, the following might be complete nonsense. However, it seems there is still some leftovers from old Namecoin database files on your harddisk.
The effects you observe look precisely like those I got when I made some experiments with "recycling" old database files a while ago. At first everything looks promising, and all of a sudden the sync process stalls. Depending on the old/new client's file versions this can happen at around block 100, 10000, 100000 or at any other time.

Therefore the safest advice here is: don't bother cleaning up AppData or Roaming directories. Just create a completely new directory somewhere else, and copy the Namecoin exe to that place. Create an empty namecoin.conf there, and then run the exe file and let it create all the files here and only here:

Code: Select all

cd \shinynewdirectory
namecoin-qt.exe -datadir=. -conf=.\namecoin.conf -printtoconsole
(This is the syntax I remember from vintage MS-Windows versions. Anyone with Win8 experience correct me please.)
If there are indeed remnants from a corrupted installation, then yes, this has a good shot of fixing it. In instead there is filesystem corruption, then this might appear to fix it but it could break again (as could other software on the machine). Definitely worth trying.