Configure a domain.bit to use with OpenAlias/monero

Arux

Configure a domain.bit to use with OpenAlias/monero

Post by Arux »

Hi guys,

I am newly interested in namecoin because i want to create an OpenAlias to use with a monero wallet (like here https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-anno ... -openalias)

Of course i'm 100% noob in DNS configuration, domain.bit, etc...

So i decided to install a namecoin wallet, to fund it and to create my domain.bit
name_new d/arux
then
name_firstupdate d/arux a12345bcde123456 "{\"info\": \"Arux open alias\"}"
all was ok

Code: Select all

name_filter arux.bit
[
{
"name" : "d/arux",
"value" : "{\"info\": \"Arux open alias\"}",
"expires_in" : 35999
}
]
second step, i must translate this cPanel configuration into something compatible with my arux.bit domain
With cPanel

Access your domain name configuration page (it is not possible to use an email address only)
Edit your DNS zone (if you are using cPanel, this is "Advanced DNS Zone Editor", URL ends in zoneedit/advanced.html)
Enter the following data:

Name: your domain name or subdomaine name must end with a period (but when giving the address, you do not need the period)
TTL: 14400 (ot the same TTL as you other entries; it doesn't really matter)
Type: TXT
TXT Data: oa1:xmr recipient_address=address; recipient_name=Your name; tx_description=Your description; You can include space in the "recipient_name" and "tx_description" entries, but the whole entry cannot be more than 255 characters.

Example:

Name: donate.getmonero.org.
TTL: 14400
Type: TXT
TXT Data: oa1:xmr recipient_address=46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8aHYjA3jk3o1Bv16em; recipient_name=Monero development fund\; tx_description=Donation to development\;
Same infos but for Gandi
With Gandi

Access the web interface for editing the DNS Zone file
@ 14400 IN TXT "oa1:xmr recipient_address=46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8aHYjA3jk3o1Bv16em; recipient_name=Monero development fund\; tx_description=Donation to development\;"
i try (totally random)
name_update d/arux {"TXT": "oa1:xmr recipient_address=46zo2fBX7UfBdDZRsSqa2j2sQwUrasEgeLq4rWsARXuA5xocvesb24iR4o4L7v7FjzPDeGHPQsgAnirt32qpFGe2AJgqv4Y; recipient_name=Arux OpenAlias\; tx_description=Thanks!\;"}
and i verified
name_list

[
{
"value" : "{\"ns\":[\"{\\\"TXT\\\": \\\"oa1:xmr recipient_address=46zo2fBX7UfBdDZRsSqa2j2sQwUrasEgeLq4rWsARXuA5xocvesb24iR4o4L7v7FjzPDeGHPQsgAnirt32qpFGe2AJgqv4Y; recipient_name=Arux OpenAlias\\\\; tx_description=Thanks!\\\\;\\\"}\"]}",
"address" : "NFv2weWenCH1dx7LGkAQt5p1BKSNtp4tKa",
"expires_in" : 35982
}
]
and of course, the monero wallet don't recognize arux.bit

an expert to show me the correct way?

cassini

Re: Configure a domain.bit to use with OpenAlias/monero

Post by cassini »

Arux wrote:i try (totally random)
name_update d/arux {"TXT": "oa1:xmr recipient_address=46zo2fBX7UfBdDZRsSqa2j2sQwUrasEgeLq4rWsARXuA5xocvesb24iR4o4L7v7FjzPDeGHPQsgAnirt32qpFGe2AJgqv4Y; recipient_name=Arux OpenAlias\; tx_description=Thanks!\;"}
Seems you had opened different subwindows in the Namecoin-Qt client and got mixed up, or you didn't tell us the whole story. If you really issued this name_update command then where does the "ns:" label come from:
name_list
"value" : "{\"ns\":
This is simply impossible. Did you use the Debug Window or did you use the Configure Names > Custom Configuration subframe for issueing the name_update transaction?

Furthermore, there are way too many backslash characters. If you use Configure Names > Custom Configuration do not enter any backslash sign. The JSON field takes care of the backslash escaping automatically. (MS-Windows experts, please: Is this correct for Namecoin-Qt in MS-Win, too?)

Another thing that springs to mind is the "TXT" label. I haven't looked at the OpenAlias source code but it seems that TXT makes only sense in ICANN-style DNS records. Ask fluffypony (on github, monero forum, or on irc #namecoin-dev) if you really need TXT when OpenAlias gets the data from the Namecoin blockchain.

I guess the correct data for the Configure Names > Custom Configuration field should look like this:

{"oa1:xmr recipient_address=46zo2fBX7UfBdDZRsSqa2j2sQwUrasEgeLq4rWsARXuA5xocvesb24iR4o4L7v7FjzPDeGHPQsgAnirt32qpFGe2AJgqv4Y; recipient_name=Arux OpenAlias; tx_description=Thanks!;"}
BTW, which monero wallet do you use?

Arux

Post by Arux »

cassini wrote:
Arux wrote:i try (totally random)
Seems you had opened different subwindows in the Namecoin-Qt client and got mixed up, or you didn't tell us the whole story. If you really issued this name_update command then where does the "ns:" label come from:
name_list
"value" : "{\"ns\":
This is simply impossible. Did you use the Debug Window or did you use the Configure Names > Custom Configuration subframe for issueing the name_update transaction?
for name_update, i used Configure Names > DNS Configuration > Name servers subframe.
cassini wrote: I guess the correct data for the Configure Names > Custom Configuration field should look like this:

{"oa1:xmr recipient_address=46zo2fBX7UfBdDZRsSqa2j2sQwUrasEgeLq4rWsARXuA5xocvesb24iR4o4L7v7FjzPDeGHPQsgAnirt32qpFGe2AJgqv4Y; recipient_name=Arux OpenAlias; tx_description=Thanks!;"}
BTW, which monero wallet do you use?
second attempt with:

in Configure Names > DNS configuration > Name servers

name_list outcome:
[
{
"value" : "{\"ns\":[\"{\\\"oa1:xmr recipient_address=46zo2fBX7UfBdDZRsSqa2j2sQwUrasEgeLq4rWsARXuA5xocvesb24iR4o4L7v7FjzPDeGHPQsgAnirt32qpFGe2AJgqv4Y; recipient_name=Arux OpenAlias; tx_description=Thanks!;\\\"}\"]}",
"address" : "NBTNfBHQQ8nSiKABVT4Bja3xSUAbK3mdnh",
"expires_in" : 35954
}
]
test in mymonero failed: No OpenAlias records found for arux.bit

third attempt with:

directly in Configure Names > Custom Configuration subframe
i get a red message Invalid JSON string (can still be used if not intended as JSON string)

i don't know why but my transaction was waiting confirmations during more than 30 blocks. so i restarted my wallet to confirm the transaction and name_list outcome became:
[
{
"value" : "{\"oa1:xmr recipient_address=46zo2fBX7UfBdDZRsSqa2j2sQwUrasEgeLq4rWsARXuA5xocvesb24iR4o4L7v7FjzPDeGHPQsgAnirt32qpFGe2AJgqv4Y; recipient_name=Arux OpenAlias; tx_description=Thanks!;\"}",
"address" : "NEgvD9ekPfAWYDGcMYVHK6dQkQD2FdNDp1",
"expires_in" : 35997
}
]
Unfortunately mymonero still failed: No OpenAlias records found for arux.bit

i will ask fluffypony.

fluffypony

Post by fluffypony »

Hi guys - sorry for the delayed response.

I can't seem to get a TXT record for that address:

# dig @dns.dot-bit.org -t txt arux.bit

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.2-Ubuntu <<>> @dns.dot-bit.org -t txt arux.bit
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 55870
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;arux.bit.			IN	TXT

;; Query time: 94 msec
;; SERVER: 87.98.130.234#53(87.98.130.234)
;; WHEN: Mon Mar 16 04:39:28 EDT 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 37

# dig @91.213.8.35 -t txt arux.bit

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.2-Ubuntu <<>> @91.213.8.35 -t txt arux.bit
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 51962
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;arux.bit.			IN	TXT

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
bit.			3600	IN	SOA	ns1.cryptonit.bit. hostmaster.ns1.cryptonit.bit. 116206637 21600 3600 604800 3600

;; Query time: 250 msec
;; SERVER: 91.213.8.35#53(91.213.8.35)
;; WHEN: Mon Mar 16 04:42:38 EDT 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 98
MyMonero uses dnscrypt-proxy to query resolvers.openalias.org, that also returns no TXT records.

Arux

Post by Arux »

fourth attempt directly in the console

name_update d/arux '{"TXT" : "oa1:xmr recipient_address=46zo2fBX7UfBdDZRsSqa2j2sQwUrasEgeLq4rWsARXuA5xocvesb24iR4o4L7v7FjzPDeGHPQsgAnirt32qpFGe2AJgqv4Y; recipient_name=Arux OpenAlias; tx_description=Thanks!;"}'
it's giving:

name_list

[
{
"value" : "{\"TXT\" : \"oa1:xmr recipient_address=46zo2fBX7UfBdDZRsSqa2j2sQwUrasEgeLq4rWsARXuA5xocvesb24iR4o4L7v7FjzPDeGHPQsgAnirt32qpFGe2AJgqv4Y; recipient_name=Arux OpenAlias; tx_description=Thanks!;\"}",
"address" : "NGSNTYttJgxfQ3fDaBsMmdACgppzDD9EBX",
"expires_in" : 36000
}
]
but it cost me all my NMC ! 0.0112872 NMC for one name_update ???

and arux.bit not found by mymonero.

cassini

Post by cassini »

Arux wrote:

name_update d/arux '{"TXT" : "oa1:xmr recipient_address=46zo2fBX7UfBdDZRsSqa2j2sQwUrasEgeLq4rWsARXuA5xocvesb24iR4o4L7v7FjzPDeGHPQsgAnirt32qpFGe2AJgqv4Y; recipient_name=Arux OpenAlias; tx_description=Thanks!;"}'
This is correct (technically).
Arux wrote:but it cost me all my NMC ! 0.0112872 NMC for one name_update ???
An unfortunate combination of transaction length, young age of coins, and a few hard-coded factors. No need to worry. Have a look at the latest transaction in your Namecoin-Qt and abracadabra ;)
fluffypony wrote:MyMonero uses dnscrypt-proxy to query resolvers.openalias.org, that also returns no TXT records.
Seems the Namecoin-data-to-MyMonero concept is still a bit half-baked. Or poorly documented. @Arux: get in touch with the MyMonero team and ask them for a working example of a MyMonero-readable Namecoin record.

Arux

Post by Arux »

cassini wrote:
Arux wrote:but it cost me all my NMC ! 0.0112872 NMC for one name_update ???
An unfortunate combination of transaction length, young age of coins, and a few hard-coded factors. No need to worry. Have a look at the latest transaction in your Namecoin-Qt and abracadabra ;)
thanks, it's nice to you to refund my wallet.
i was a bit surprised, as a new user of namecoin, i don't know the usual glitchs. to be fully honest, i type several name_update request before but with syntax error. these commands weren't allowed (i don't remenber the error message) and 0 NMC were substract. can be an explanation
cassini wrote:
Arux wrote:

This is correct (technically).
i test with "dig @dns.dot-bit.org -t txt arux.bit" and "dig @91.213.8.35 -t txt arux.bit"
but no TXT informations appear
cassini wrote:Seems the Namecoin-data-to-MyMonero concept is still a bit half-baked. Or poorly documented. @Arux: get in touch with the MyMonero team and ask them for a working example of a MyMonero-readable Namecoin record.
yes, too early. i have explained the situation in monero-dev.
the official document is saying "OpenAlias will work with .bit domains" . i guess that it's not operational yet. (and I didn't see anyone at the moment with a alias.bit)
for now, i don't have other solution, i'm waiting a working example.