Unable to renew domain before expire date?

dnaleor

Unable to renew domain before expire date?

Post by dnaleor »

Hi

I recovered a Namecoin wallet because I needed a domain inside of that wallet.
I knew that domain was only 2 weeks befire expiring, so I decided to take immediate action.
I am not that familiar with namecoin and I did the stupid thing to register the name again while it was still syncing.

Now I've read that I should just have clicked 'configure domain' and click ok, fill in my password and it would be renewed.

Problem is that when I do it now, I get the error "this name is already active". The cause is, I think, that there is now a pending transaction for registering the same name.

conclusion:
1) I still have the domain for the next 14 days, so this is the time window in which this problem need to be solved
2) I did the stupid thing of registering it again, does this need to be reversed? Is this even possible?
3) Should I not worry, let the name expire and will my other registration be carried out as soon as the domain expires?
"I am dnaleor @ bitcointalk"
Message without quotation marks signed with bitcoin-QT
using my donation adress @ bitcointalk (1KfZgW7p8B1T2HbQmmx8Wr8tUjuTTUjDkv)
INcXHwAOe7iA1NNkY1NpBHrnwCrImxv4gcE+J98g4WRDqnYkNFXqsw9hFhC/gBaHCl8xdyiM+cqzY5TLmdpCaSg=

domob

Re: Unable to renew domain before expire date?

Post by domob »

I'm not fully confident with the exact handling of this conflicting registration in the UI. (How this is handled with the prepared name_firstupdate.) However, I suggest the following:

1) Do not wait for the name to expire. While there's a good chance that your reregistration will be processed "immediately" after, there's no guarantee for it.

2) Try deleting the pending name registration. Maybe that's possible from the UI (context menu?). You could also try the "deletetransaction" RPC call, but I don't know if this works for prepared name_firstupdate's. Also "name_clean" could help.

3) Try whether renewing the domain via the RPC interface (don't start Namecoin-Qt at all, use namecoind) works. I or someone else can help you with that if you have questions about how to do it.

4) If all fails, import the private key holding the name in a fresh wallet and renew it there. Again, we can help you if you have questions.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

dnaleor

Post by dnaleor »

domob wrote:I'm not fully confident with the exact handling of this conflicting registration in the UI. (How this is handled with the prepared name_firstupdate.) However, I suggest the following:

1) Do not wait for the name to expire. While there's a good chance that your reregistration will be processed "immediately" after, there's no guarantee for it.

2) Try deleting the pending name registration. Maybe that's possible from the UI (context menu?). You could also try the "deletetransaction" RPC call, but I don't know if this works for prepared name_firstupdate's. Also "name_clean" could help.

3) Try whether renewing the domain via the RPC interface (don't start Namecoin-Qt at all, use namecoind) works. I or someone else can help you with that if you have questions about how to do it.

4) If all fails, import the private key holding the name in a fresh wallet and renew it there. Again, we can help you if you have questions.

thx! I will try what you've posted here in a few minutes.
Luckly I still have 2 weeks, so this should be enough to fix the problem.

I don't want to loose this domain, it's kinda important.
(I already lost my personal domains due to my HD crashing and unable to recover it until now...)
INcXHwAOe7iA1NNkY1NpBHrnwCrImxv4gcE+J98g4WRDqnYkNFXqsw9hFhC/gBaHCl8xdyiM+cqzY5TLmdpCaSg=

dnaleor

Post by dnaleor »

Hey!

The deleting of the transaction worked, the pending one still shows up in the "manage names" section, but now I was able to renew the name :)

Thx!
I'll leave you a small tip :)

edit, it's confirmed now, by the network, but the "manage names" page is looking weird now:

I guess this isn't a problem?

yes, it was 'monero.bit'. The dev team of that coin maybe want to use that name in the future and I want to be able to donate the name :)

domob

Post by domob »

Yes, that looks weird. Probably you kind of found a bug. ;) But yes, I can also confirm that the name is, indeed, correctly renewed.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/