Need help settinng up a .bit site

Liivet

Need help settinng up a .bit site

Post by Liivet »

Hi everybody!

I am struggeling a bit in completeing the setup of a .bit site. It's registered and all, but I an not able to browse it

/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf:

Code: Select all

ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerName http://www.insertrandom.bit
        ServerAlias insertrandom.bit *.insertrandom.bit
        DocumentRoot /var/www/insertrandom.bit/
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf:

<VirtualHost *:80>
       DocumentRoot /var/www/insertrandom.bit/
       ServerName www.insertrandom.bit
 </VirtualHost>
insertrandom is ofc just something random.

I have also installed NamecoinToBind on the same server, and then done a name_update poinring too my own public IP-address not really understanding what the hell I am doing :P

I'm not really that experienced with either apache2 nor namecoin in general, but I really wanna learn this thing, so why not :D

Been following this guide https://wiki.namecoin.info/index.php?ti ... it_Domains but when testing on https://dotbit.me/proxy/ I only get that it could not be loaded. I have inserted the ns info mentioned in the guide.

Anybody wanna help a newbie out?

biolizard89

Re: Need help settinng up a .bit site

Post by biolizard89 »

Are you able to tell us what .bit domain you're having trouble with?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

allthingsgo

Re: Need help settinng up a .bit site - me too !

Post by allthingsgo »

I am having the same trouble getting my domain whyy.bit ( which is registered thru dotbit.me) and couple of other domains (e.g.. isuck.bit ) thru my own Namecoin-Qt (v0.3.80) running on Mac OSX10.9 to get their names resolved on the internet and be served by any of my webservers.

DNS value edit fields on dotbit.me for whyy.bit currently is: ( tried many different things...)
{
"translate": "dev.allthingsgo.cn",
"map": {
"*": {
"ip": "52.5.229.2"
}
}
}

What did I do wrong or haven't done right tinkering 'isuck.bit' for two days or so ?

name_update d/isuck {"ns":["ns.dotbit.me", ?, ?] , ? ? ? ? ? }

any help/tip is greatly appreciated! ( will read Howtoandinstall guides and keep trying... for pity's sake..
id/allthingsgo ?

phelix

Post by phelix »

This is the simplest variant (no subdomains).

{
        "": "52.5.229.2"
    }
}
If there are several websites on that IP address the server needs to be aware of "whyy.bit" (some hosters call it "external domain").
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

cassini

Post by cassini »

Also note that the dotbit.me proxy page doesn't work at the moment. Currently nmcontrol is the safest way of resolving .bit domains. I'm going to create a wiki page on how to install nmcontrol on OSX in detail (including the settings in System Prefs) and post the link here as soon as I've finished editing.
phelix wrote:This is the simplest variant (no subdomains).

{
        "": "52.5.229.2"
    }
}
Just tested this with one of my unused names, see d/himado.
With nmcontrol running in the background, himado.bit works perfectly. Even allthingsgo's Bitpay integration on that page seems to work.
phelix wrote:If there are several websites on that IP address the server needs to be aware of "whyy.bit" (some hosters call it "external domain").
No worries in this case. This is a dedicated IP.

allthingsgo

Re: Need help settinng up a .bit site - more questions

Post by allthingsgo »

will try to look into nmcontrol ... Is there any public DNS server with NamecoinTobind. running that I can check out?

thank you both for quick response ! I have much to learn.

phelix

Re: Need help settinng up a .bit site - more questions

Post by phelix »

allthingsgo wrote:will try to look into nmcontrol ... Is there any public DNS server with NamecoinTobind. running that I can check out?

thank you both for quick response ! I have much to learn.
these still seem to be working (no idea about NamecoinToBind) https://www.opennicproject.org/nearest-servers/ (note that using one of these is insecure)
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

cassini wrote:Currently nmcontrol is the safest way of resolving .bit domains.
ncdns should be of comparable safety, unless you don't trust your own DNS resolver (e.g. Unbound).

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

allthingsgo

Post by allthingsgo »

biolizard89 wrote: ncdns should be of comparable safety, unless you don't trust your own DNS resolver (e.g. Unbound).
thanks. I may have to check out ncdns on my FreeBSD node.

btw, does anyone here manage to get namecoind & bitcoind running FreeBSD 9 or 10 ? So far I only manage to get them running withoout 'wallet/ upnp ' due to some compilation errors...
id/allthingsgo ?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

allthingsgo wrote:
biolizard89 wrote: ncdns should be of comparable safety, unless you don't trust your own DNS resolver (e.g. Unbound).
thanks. I may have to check out ncdns on my FreeBSD node.

btw, does anyone here manage to get namecoind & bitcoind running FreeBSD 9 or 10 ? So far I only manage to get them running withoout 'wallet/ upnp ' due to some compilation errors...
Namecoin Core should be about the same as Bitcoin Core. A quick Disconnect search suggests that Bitcoin Core runs on FreeBSD, but I haven't found exact build instructions. I would expect Namecoin Core to work with identical instructions. (If that's not the case, it's a bug.) For the old NamecoinQ 0.3.80, no idea.