Can an identity be linked with other identities in a wallet?

cryptopower1

Can an identity be linked with other identities in a wallet?

Post by cryptopower1 »

If someone sends me a name to my namecoin client, can they see what other names I have? Or if I send namecoins from the exchange to my namecoin client, can that be linked to any of my registered names?

signup292

Post by signup292 »

Last edited by signup292 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

cryptopower1

Re: Can an identity be linked with other identities in a wal

Post by cryptopower1 »

But I sent namecoins out to an exchange (connected to my ID) from my wallet...doesn't that mean every time I make "send to" transactions from my wallet now, it can be linked to my ID? If so is there anyway to change the namecoin "send to" address?
In the Namecoin client under "receive coins" you can make new addresses but under the "send coins" tab you can't.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Namecoin-Qt does not currently support Coin Control, meaning that the inputs for a transaction you make will not be easily predictable. So, it will be very easy to find other names that a user owns if you already know one of the names. I am aware of at least one such attack occurring in the wild, and being extremely successful.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

cassini

Post by cassini »

signup292 wrote:but if you later do more transactions with this new address, be away of the connections that are made.
This is misleading as the anonymity risks are not only related to this new address.

If you fully understand this post's diagram:
https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.p ... 856#p12856
then you know how to create completely isolated names or identities. Otherwise you will most likely get it wrong.

By the way, I recommend using one wallet.dat file for each name or id you want to keep separated from the other ones.