Namecoin-QT not responding

FULl

Namecoin-QT not responding

Post by FULl »

Hi,

I've installed Namecoin to Linux Mint according to the Ubuntu installation instructions on namecoin.info, & I'm having a problem.

As soon as it connects to the network, it freezes completely, doesn't sync or let me operate the interface.

I have to kill it with htop's sigkill.

In the debug.log there's something about a memory error, but I don't have the output at the moment, as I'm currently on my mobile.

Bitcoin-QT, & Litecoin-QT both run fine on the same box, & Namecoin exhibits the same behavior even when it runs alone.

The box is in a KVM virtual machine with 2x 3.16GHz vCPU's & 2048MB RAM.

I'm about to try it in an xUbuntu installation, so that it's exactly as the instructions say it should be & run ok.

I've run Namecoin months ago on a different Linux Mint, but of course it was an older version. And it ran fine.

I don't get what it could be.

I'd prefer not to reinstall the box to xUbuntu, as I like Mint's desktop better, but I will try it later tonight.

If someone recognizes this symptom, & could present a solution, I'd prefer that.

Thanks in advance.

-F

FULl

Re: Namecoin-QT not responding

Post by FULl »

I've installed Namecoin-QT to xUbuntu now, & it's doing the same thing.

Except now there's nothing that appears out of the ordinary in debug.log.

Anyone?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

I ran Namecoin-Qt on Linux Mint 15 a year ago with no issues; I haven't used an Ubuntu-based OS since then. pmc's packages work fine for me on Fedora 20. Not sure what to tell you... are you building from source or using pmc's packages? Maybe you could try the other to see if there's a difference? (Back up your wallet before you try though.)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

FULl

Post by FULl »

It's resolved itself. Apparently it just needed to sync fully.

Working now on Ubuntu Server 14.04.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

FULl wrote:It's resolved itself. Apparently it just needed to sync fully.

Working now on Ubuntu Server 14.04.
Interesting; do you have a particularly slow hard drive? I know non-SSD machines can lag a bit during initial syncup; if your hard drive is unusually slow, maybe this could be responsible?

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

FULl

Post by FULl »

It was in a KVM virtual machine running in Proxmox VE. The disk was a .qcow image on an SSD with an ext3 filesystem.

I'll try it next on a .raw image in LVM on the SSD & see if that helps.

.qcow isn't known for its performance, while .raw in LVM is reported to be a bit quicker.

FULl

Post by FULl »

With the new disk setup, it's still not responding as quickly as I'd like it to. It's mainly impossible to interact with the GUI.

But it's no longer completely frozen. For example, it takes ~3 minutes for it to make its way into the system tray from launch. I haven't spent the time to try, but I would imagine the GUI would respond to my clicking various elements after 3 more minutes waiting.

What this means to me is that the performance indeed has improved, and I'll be able to run it relatively painlessly once it has sync'd all the way- at least better than it was previously.

Thanks for the suggestion to check disk performance.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

FULl wrote:With the new disk setup, it's still not responding as quickly as I'd like it to. It's mainly impossible to interact with the GUI.

But it's no longer completely frozen. For example, it takes ~3 minutes for it to make its way into the system tray from launch. I haven't spent the time to try, but I would imagine the GUI would respond to my clicking various elements after 3 more minutes waiting.

What this means to me is that the performance indeed has improved, and I'll be able to run it relatively painlessly once it has sync'd all the way- at least better than it was previously.

Thanks for the suggestion to check disk performance.
One other question: are you using a fresh wallet.dat, or one that's from an old install? I've found that when syncing the blockchain, it's much faster if I use a fresh wallet.dat and only import the old wallet.dat after the blockchain is downloaded.

FULl

Post by FULl »

It's not a fresh wallet.dat. I didn't know that made a difference. Interesting.