Problems to Start a new website

felix

Problems to Start a new website

Post by felix »

Hi all,
i registered a new domain in my Namecoinwallet and insert the Nameservers from the Hostingcompany:

After that i want to make an A-Record on the website of my hoster but i get the following Error:

After i send the supportteam the screenshot of the error message they ansered: "What DNS record are you adding exactly? All needed DNS records are added by default."

Is my way korrekt, or what should I do?

(Sorry for my bad english.... normally i only speak german)
Last edited by felix on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

domob

Re: Problems to Start a new website

Post by domob »

This sounds like a correct attempt, although it is up to the hosting company whether or not they want to make their nameserver respond to queries for .bit domains. If you have a static IP address for your server (which you apparently have), a better approach is to store the IP directly into Namecoin. The value should look like this (which is dd/domob with unnecessary information removed):

Code: Select all

{
  "ip": "37.187.243.109",
  "map": {"*": "37.187.243.109"}
}
I think you can also specify the IP in the UI, although I usually don't use it.

Note that when you do this, your .bit domain should resolve correctly to this IP without having to configure any nameservers or the like. It may, however, be necessary to make the server at this IP itself "feel responsible" for your .bit domain - it depends on the details how to make this. (I can only tell you how it works if you run an Apache server there.)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

felix

Post by felix »

Hello domob and thank you for your reply. I think that I am the first one at knownsrv.com, who want`s build up a website with a .bit domain, because in their 3rd answer they still speak of a DNS record.

And no, i didn`t have a static IP address, but i want to order it, whether They support at all .bit domains (Thanks for the code for this)

I think, they used a Apache server but i only reach this via cpanel, so i must wait for reply from the admins.

If there is something new, I'll get back.

Regards, Felix

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

felix wrote:Hello domob and thank you for your reply. I think that I am the first one at knownsrv.com, who want`s build up a website with a .bit domain, because in their 3rd answer they still speak of a DNS record.

And no, i didn`t have a static IP address, but i want to order it, whether They support at all .bit domains (Thanks for the code for this)

I think, they used a Apache server but i only reach this via cpanel, so i must wait for reply from the admins.

If there is something new, I'll get back.

Regards, Felix
Hi Felix,

I don't use CPanel, but I've heard that it blocks users from adding virtual hosts for domain names that CPanel is unable to lookup (meaning .bit will fail). Normally your hosting provider can manually override this for you if you ask.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

felix

Post by felix »

O.k., here are the latest News:

I told the Support:

But some little problem there is:
With c-panel I launched a new standard Joomla page:

front end:
Page is accessible, but the Defaulttemplate does not work. And if you, for example, hoovert about "Home", it is linked to tv-yourself.bit.pe.pe (Double .pe Pic1)

backend:
Backend works.
Changing the site from offline to online works.
Changing the site name works.

But if I want to upload an offline image, I get the error message: Firefox can not Establish a connection to the server at tv-yourself.bit.pe.pe. (also with double .pe Pic 2)

What that`s ?

And the support ansered:
Hello,
Unfortunately, as I said, we aren't familiar with this type of domains.

(I'm going to basically start a discussion about hoster here)

felix

Post by felix »

After this answer i send the following message to the support:

Hi again to all,
today i spoke with an Instractor from RedHat. He is a very god Examiner and he asked:

"Can it be that there is a mistake in your zone data configutration of the dns server?
What I am thinking about is that the A record is maybe a fully qualified name (FQDN)
and is not ended with a dot (.) so that the SOA record is appended again?"

Perhaps this is a solution. Many thanks for your work and by