Runaway exception when starting Namecoin client (Windows)

FULl

Runaway exception when starting Namecoin client (Windows)

Post by FULl »

Hi,

I've been running the Namecoin client in Windows 7 x86_64 with no problems until I shared the /Users/username/AppData/Roaming/Namecoin directory with a Virtualbox machine running linux. My intent was to run a command line app which only runs in linux in that machine using the same wallet & block data as my Windows machine uses. The command line app does bulk name operations & this setup holds promise to save me many hours should I figure out how to get everything to work properly without errors.

I have the Windows directory shared in /mnt, & made a symlink to point the Linux client there & it appears to read the data properly, as my balance & names are available in both clients.

I've been careful to not run both clients at the same time, checking that the process is actually no longer running by checking htop & Task Manager. So I know I didn't have both writing to the wallet at the same time.

I ran the Namecoin client in Linux a couple of times, but haven't actually made any changes to my names from the Linux side yet- I'm testing first to be sure things like this aren't going to happen first to lessen the risk of corrupting my wallet with all my names.

I've successfully switched back & forth between the 2 clients on Linux & Windows before, without errors before today, but now I get an error upon starting the client in Windows. I haven't tried starting the Linux client again. I want to solve the problem on the Windows box first before checking theree again.

The error I get is something about a runaway exception, and mentions rebuilding the database. I've attached a screenshot of the actual error.

Does anyone recognize this error, & know how to resolve it?\

Please advise.

Thanks,
-F
Attachments
runaway exception.jpg
runaway exception.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 4238 times

biolizard89

Re: Runaway exception when starting Namecoin client (Windows

Post by biolizard89 »

I got a similar error after copying a Linux Mint profile (self-built) into Fedora (using pmc's packages). I had to delete the blockchain and start over to make it work in Fedora (I never tried going back to Mint). I suspect an issue with BDB version incompatibilities, but I have no evidence that that's the case. If that is the problem, then you can try building the binaries yourself with consistent versions of BDB, and hopefully that will help.

Let us know if you fix it -- I'd love to have a fix too. :-)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

Yes, I also think it is some problem with compatibility between BDB on Windows and GNU/Linux. As biolizard suggested, you should make sure that you have the same version on both systems. Also note that it may be possible that even with the same versions files are not portable between different operating systems ... I know too little about BDB to know that for sure (but I think this is unlikely).
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

FULl

Post by FULl »

domob wrote:Also note that it may be possible that even with the same versions files are not portable between different operating systems.
I'll soon find out, as I'm installing from git on both now. If the problem persists, I'll assume it's incompatibility due to differing OS'.

If that's the case I'll have to set up 2 separate installations & try to script rsync to move the wallet.dat's back & forth or something.