Is anyone else having trouble with transactions finishing?

whitebeard

Is anyone else having trouble with transactions finishing?

Post by whitebeard »

A few days ago I sent a series of faucet payments out. 193 out of 300 never completed, so after waiting a few days I copied my backup wallet into the .namecoin directory and restarted namecoind with -rescan and retrieved them. I decided to send a single test transaction with 0.025 tx fee before sending the other payments, it has now been 10 hours and it is still at zero confirmations. What's up?

whitebeard

whitebeard

Re: Is anyone else having trouble with transactions finishin

Post by whitebeard »

Well, I suppose I jumped the gun! Now, more than 96 hours later, some more those earlier transactions are complete!! I hope my test transaction doesn't create a double spend!!

So what do we tell people now? Just hold on a week?! :( This is pretty bad! I can understand about transactions with no fee, but these transactions all had the standard fee attached. We need to figure out what is going on with the system and fix it.. If people can't reliably move the coin around, this entire system will fail. Even micro-transactions that are paying the standard fee should be processed in a matter of hours, not days!

Well, this is a tech support thread, so I'll quit ranting and share some of my ideas for fixing things in a more appropriate thread.

whitebeard

domob

Post by domob »

There has been a lot of strain on the network lately, see the other threads about it ("the great aggregating"). We believe that the issues have at least been partly fixed. If nothing like this happens, transaction processing should be fine. But keep also in mind that currency transactions are not the most important part of Namecoin (names are) - we may introduce rules that prioritise name operations over currency transactions in the future.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

whitebeard

Post by whitebeard »

I totally get it, but it still should not take 4 days for a paid transaction to complete! Even with Name transactions having priority, you still have to be able to pass coin around in an efficient manner to make the entire system viable.

phelix

Post by phelix »

whitebeard wrote:I totally get it, but it still should not take 4 days for a paid transaction to complete! Even with Name transactions having priority, you still have to be able to pass coin around in an efficient manner to make the entire system viable.
If you increase the fee the tx should always go through in a couple of hours.

Probably we should increase the default fee.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

whitebeard

Post by whitebeard »

Not true! As you may have noticed in my first post I said:
I decided to send a single test transaction with 0.025 tx fee before sending the other payments, it has now been 10 hours and it is still at zero confirmations. What's up?
Well, that transaction has not confirmed, yet, either, nearly 38 hours after it was sent! And it had a 5x fee attached...

Some of the original transactions are beginning to be confirmed, but 70 or so still outstanding transactions at 110 hours is way over the top!

whitebeard

phelix

Post by phelix »

whitebeard wrote:
Not true! As you may have noticed in my first post I said:
I decided to send a single test transaction with 0.025 tx fee before sending the other payments, it has now been 10 hours and it is still at zero confirmations. What's up?
Well, that transaction has not confirmed, yet, either, nearly 38 hours after it was sent! And it had a 5x fee attached...

Some of the original transactions are beginning to be confirmed, but 70 or so still outstanding transactions at 110 hours is way over the top!

whitebeard
Could you give a transaction ID so that we can look up the actual fee used?

Or do it yourself and let us know, e.g. here: http://bitinfocharts.com/de/namecoin/explorer/

whitebeard

Post by whitebeard »

It's still not even showing on the block-chain (I tried 3 different explorers), but neither did any of the other transactions before they just started showing up days later... I think all of the transactions that started all this mess have completed now... (nearly a week later!)

It's showing in my wallet as :

Code: Select all

"category" : "send",
        "amount" : -1.50000000,
        "fee" : -0.02500000,
        "confirmations" : 0,
This is partial output of the 'listtransactions' command.

I suppose if I wait five more days it'll eventually pop out the other end... :(

phelix

Post by phelix »

whitebeard wrote:It's still not even showing on the block-chain (I tried 3 different explorers), but neither did any of the other transactions before they just started showing up days later... I think all of the transactions that started all this mess have completed now... (nearly a week later!)

It's showing in my wallet as :

Code: Select all

"category" : "send",
        "amount" : -1.50000000,
        "fee" : -0.02500000,
        "confirmations" : 0,
This is partial output of the 'listtransactions' command.

I suppose if I wait five more days it'll eventually pop out the other end... :(
hmm, then it probably got lost because of miner's clients crashing from the aggregator issue. If you restart your client or let it run for a while it should rebroadcast the tx. If it still does not work or you want to do it faster this might help you: https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=114

GroundRod

Post by GroundRod »

Finally joined the forum!!

As whitebeard's post, phelix responses have helped me allot. Obviously having the same problem.

By the time I had restarted the client (3.75) several times, attempted to addnode= some values found here (posted back in '11 & didn't work) to my namecoin.conf file, finally found this and was about to try a deletetransaction command and/or load the backup wallet.dat file. Before doing any of that though, just waited & did finally get 1 confirmation and my transfer has now since gone through!!

I've been getting a steady 6-8 nodes connected for the last 8 month & now have my port forwarded to allow namecoin inbound connections and yet was stuck @26hrs behind on the blockchain for hours this morning, and then this send wouldn't confirm. It's been a month or more since I did anything other than keep the blockchain up to date once a week or so, have noticed both bitcoin and namecoin as slow to sync up these last couple months.

Wanted to ask, because this was the first thing I tried, could we get a list of addnodes? Good ones that are something current?

Between namecoin.info (site,wiki & this forum) & bitcointalk the only thing I was able to search out & find was 2 IP addresses posted here from back in 2011. Others must also be trying hard to figure this out, and that was the first thing I went looking for and could not find anything. I see in the debug log that the client is logging into IRC, and picking up 6 nodes, they must not be very good ones or something???

Looking forward to spending more time here and posting some, would like to help others if time allows!

GR