Closed client between name_new & name_firstupdate

FULl

Closed client between name_new & name_firstupdate

Post by FULl »

Hi,

My client has a problem where it doesn't broadcast name_new unless I close & reopen it, so when it was still showing a completed name_new without the associated name_firstupdate, after 8 hours- I figured it was having the same problem again & I restarted it- despite the warning in red to not close the client when the name_new is pending.

Now after I restart the client it's an hour behind unsync'd, which it ought not be since it's been connected to the internet the whole time it's been running in the system tray for the last 8 hours. And when I edit the pending domain that's sitting there with a completed name_new, it doesn't show up in my Transactions list as a name_update. Presumably since it has yet to complete its name_firstupdate.

I don't know how things work enough to know how to resolve the issue I created for myself by closing the client while the name_new was still pending.

And the client hasn't sync'd its hour lag in over 10 minutes now.

Could someone give me a hand with this please?

Thanks.

cassini

Re: Closed client between name_new & name_firstupdate

Post by cassini »

It probably wasn't your fault. A few days ago there was a serious problem on the Namecoin network, and some of the mining pools are still struggling with the aftermath.
This means that name transactions can take an extremely long time before they get confirmed.
I made a lot of tests during the last days: Around 40 % of my transactions went through within an hour, another 40 % took between 1 and 24 hours, and the remaining 20 % did not make it at all. I had to delete these and send them again with a higher fee.

You can send me a PM containing the transaction id of your name_new, or post it here on the forum if you like, and I'll have a look at it.
FULl wrote:it doesn't show up in my Transactions list as a name_update. Presumably since it has yet to complete its name_firstupdate.
Yes, the correct sequence is: name_new, name_firstupdate. As soon as the name_firstupdate has been confirmed, you can issue a name_update if you want.

FULl

Post by FULl »

cassini wrote:You can send me a PM containing the transaction id of your name_new, or post it here on the forum if you like, and I'll have a look at it.
Thanks for your offer, but it turns out that won't be necessary. It eventually worked out. Here's what I did.

1. First I closed the client & copied my wallet elsewhere.
2. Then I uninstalled Namecoin
3. Afterward deleted the Namecoin directory in Users/Username/AppData/Roaming
4. Reinstalled Namecoin & let it sync completely again
5. Closed the client & copied my wallet back to Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Namecoin
6. Opened Namecoin & saw the name_firstupdate there in the transactions list, but it hadn't been broadcasted yet, so I had to
7. Close & reopen the client again, & all is well

renne

Post by renne »

FULl wrote:1. First I closed the client & copied my wallet elsewhere.
5. Closed the client & copied my wallet back to Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Namecoin
6. Opened Namecoin & saw the name_firstupdate there in the transactions list, but it hadn't been broadcasted yet, so I had to
I still have a "name_firstupdate" pending. How do I broadcast the "name_firstupdate" manually?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

renne wrote:
FULl wrote:1. First I closed the client & copied my wallet elsewhere.
I still have a "name_firstupdate" pending. How do I broadcast the "name_firstupdate" manually?
I think you may want the "sendrawtransaction" RPC call. I haven't tried this myself though. Also note that if someone else has registered the name you want, the name_firstupdate will appear to be pending forever.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:I think you may want the "sendrawtransaction" RPC call. I haven't tried this myself though. Also note that if someone else has registered the name you want, the name_firstupdate will appear to be pending forever.
To elaborate: You first need the transaction's txid, which you can see if you click on it in the list of transactions (alternatively, use the "listtransactions" RPC call). Then you do these RPC calls (debug window or command-line):

Code: Select all

getrawtransaction TXID
  ... prints lots of HEX ...
sendrawtransaction COPY-AND-PASTE-THE-HEX-HERE
  ... prints TXID ...
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

renne

Post by renne »

I just get:

Code: Select all

15:13:31 getrawtransaction fde11e2003498dddc14c2689d373bfd664a8de87c22841501c4847f4e9e3c9fd
15:13:31 No information available about transaction (code -5)