name_update free?

georgem

name_update free?

Post by georgem »

If I am making a name_update , do I need to add a fee?
I mean, name_update doesn't cost me anything, right?

phelix

Re: name_update free?

Post by phelix »

georgem wrote:If I am making a name_update , do I need to add a fee?
I mean, name_update doesn't cost me anything, right?
no, but the transaction itself costs something. So yes, you need to add a fee unless your coins are very old.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

georgem

Post by georgem »

This morning I am in the process of updating my 3000 domains.

How should I best go about this, without causing any problems, for me or the network.

I have a loop in a php file were I execute commandline all in a row.

Is there an upper limit for this? SHould I spread the name_updates over a longer time?

Now that I have done this with a tx fee of zero, should I best just do it again but with tx fee of 0.005?

PS, I believe my coins are about 1 year old. Is this old enough?

georgem

Post by georgem »

Anyway, I will wait for a few hours, and if nothing happens, I will do the transaction loop again, with tx fee of 0,005 and also with more delay between the different name_updates (I will target 1 per sec)

ryanc

Post by ryanc »

Please do not update 3000 domains at once. We are having network stability problems due to a massive number of transactions being made to consolidate a lot of 'spare change' to one address by an unknown party. Please spread these out over a week or two a few hundred a day - at most one every 3-5 minutes for now.

georgem

Post by georgem »

ryanc wrote:Please do not update 3000 domains at once. We are having network stability problems due to a massive number of transactions being made to consolidate a lot of 'spare change' to one address by an unknown party. Please spread these out over a week or two a few hundred a day - at most one every 3-5 minutes for now.
Sorry, but it already happened, and is nearly finished. (ca 2000 of the 2500 are updated)

I made a notice to myself in 6 months, I will then create a program that will do the updating differently. (spreading it over a few days)