What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

indolering

What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by indolering »

When I install using the OpenSUSE Build Service package for Ubuntu, namecoin --deamon does not properly release from the command line.

First off, can we fix this? I'm really tired of Bitcoin's shitty user interface (note: UI ≠ GUI).

On my local machine, I've added `alias namecoin="namecoin -deamon &` but this feels like a hack. Can I do this on a server or will that get me into trouble?
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

phelix

Re: What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by phelix »

indolering wrote:When I install using the OpenSUSE Build Service package for Ubuntu, namecoin --deamon does not properly release from the command line.

First off, can we fix this? I'm really tired of Bitcoin's shitty user interface (note: UI ≠ GUI).

On my local machine, I've added `alias namecoin="namecoin -deamon &` but this feels like a hack. Can I do this on a server or will that get me into trouble?
try daemon with ae instead of ea :P
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

indolering

Post by indolering »

phelix wrote:
indolering wrote:When I install using the OpenSUSE Build Service package for Ubuntu, namecoin --deamon does not properly release from the command line.

try daemon with ae instead of ea :P
God-dammit : P

Still, namecoind should have -daemon implied!

Thanks Phelix ; )
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

cassini

Post by cassini »

indolering wrote:Still, namecoind should have -daemon implied!
+1
DWIM (Do What I Mean) had been invented and implemented in an era of 32 kBytes main memory and 12" harddisks able to hold a whopping 29 Megabytes, and we still wrestle with problems like this. :(

Anyway, could someone with write access to this wiki page please replace the four occurrences of "deamon" with "daemon"?

phelix

Post by phelix »

cassini wrote:
indolering wrote:Still, namecoind should have -daemon implied!
+1
DWIM (Do What I Mean) had been invented and implemented in an era of 32 kBytes main memory and 12" harddisks able to hold a whopping 29 Megabytes, and we still wrestle with problems like this. :(

Anyway, could someone with write access to this wiki page please replace the four occurrences of "deamon" with "daemon"?
Don't you have write access? I thought it was public.

cassini

Post by cassini »

I have write access to many pages that do not contain download URLs. I think the (khal's?) idea was to reduce the risk of the average user inserting spam links on these pages.

phelix

Post by phelix »

Done.

I noticed the "how to browse" page is missing (http://dot-bit.org/How_To_Browse_Bit_Domains). IMHO the wiki is still a little behind the old one in some areas... moar work...

cassini

Post by cassini »

I'd like to add a new page for hints on speeding up the synchroization process. A link in section 1.3 3 Run Namecoin to that new page makes most sense, I think. What is the procedure for non-admins to create a new page?

phelix

Post by phelix »

cassini wrote:I'd like to add a new page for hints on speeding up the synchroization process. A link in section 1.3 3 Run Namecoin to that new page makes most sense, I think. What is the procedure for non-admins to create a new page?
Enter the name of the page you would like to create into the location bar. Then hit "create". I would make you admin but either I can't or I can't find how to.

feenix3k

Post by feenix3k »

A few days ago I installed the new wallet on my windows system. As of yesterday I get a message saying to update my wallet and it does not sync up with the network. :? :?: