What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by indolering » Sat May 10, 2014 5:33 am

When I install using the OpenSUSE Build Service package for Ubuntu, namecoin --deamon does not properly release from the command line.

First off, can we fix this? I'm really tired of Bitcoin's shitty user interface (note: UI ≠ GUI).

On my local machine, I've added `alias namecoin="namecoin -deamon &` but this feels like a hack. Can I do this on a server or will that get me into trouble?
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by phelix » Sat May 10, 2014 7:31 pm

indolering wrote:When I install using the OpenSUSE Build Service package for Ubuntu, namecoin --deamon does not properly release from the command line.

First off, can we fix this? I'm really tired of Bitcoin's shitty user interface (note: UI ≠ GUI).

On my local machine, I've added `alias namecoin="namecoin -deamon &` but this feels like a hack. Can I do this on a server or will that get me into trouble?
try daemon with ae instead of ea :P
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by indolering » Thu May 15, 2014 10:44 pm

phelix wrote:
indolering wrote:When I install using the OpenSUSE Build Service package for Ubuntu, namecoin --deamon does not properly release from the command line.

First off, can we fix this? I'm really tired of Bitcoin's shitty user interface (note: UI ≠ GUI).

On my local machine, I've added `alias namecoin="namecoin -deamon &` but this feels like a hack. Can I do this on a server or will that get me into trouble?
try daemon with ae instead of ea :P
God-dammit : P

Still, namecoind should have -daemon implied!

Thanks Phelix ; )
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

cassini
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by cassini » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:06 pm

indolering wrote:Still, namecoind should have -daemon implied!
+1
DWIM (Do What I Mean) had been invented and implemented in an era of 32 kBytes main memory and 12" harddisks able to hold a whopping 29 Megabytes, and we still wrestle with problems like this. :(

Anyway, could someone with write access to this wiki page please replace the four occurrences of "deamon" with "daemon"?

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by phelix » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:12 pm

cassini wrote:
indolering wrote:Still, namecoind should have -daemon implied!
+1
DWIM (Do What I Mean) had been invented and implemented in an era of 32 kBytes main memory and 12" harddisks able to hold a whopping 29 Megabytes, and we still wrestle with problems like this. :(

Anyway, could someone with write access to this wiki page please replace the four occurrences of "deamon" with "daemon"?
Don't you have write access? I thought it was public.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

cassini
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by cassini » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:35 pm

I have write access to many pages that do not contain download URLs. I think the (khal's?) idea was to reduce the risk of the average user inserting spam links on these pages.

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by phelix » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:47 pm

Done.

I noticed the "how to browse" page is missing (http://dot-bit.org/How_To_Browse_Bit_Domains). IMHO the wiki is still a little behind the old one in some areas... moar work...
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

cassini
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by cassini » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:59 pm

I'd like to add a new page for hints on speeding up the synchroization process. A link in section 1.3 3 Run Namecoin to that new page makes most sense, I think. What is the procedure for non-admins to create a new page?

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by phelix » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:21 pm

cassini wrote:I'd like to add a new page for hints on speeding up the synchroization process. A link in section 1.3 3 Run Namecoin to that new page makes most sense, I think. What is the procedure for non-admins to create a new page?
Enter the name of the page you would like to create into the location bar. Then hit "create". I would make you admin but either I can't or I can't find how to.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

feenix3k
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:19 pm
os: windows

Re: What's the deal with namecoin --deamon?

Post by feenix3k » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:25 pm

A few days ago I installed the new wallet on my windows system. As of yesterday I get a message saying to update my wallet and it does not sync up with the network. :? :?:

Post Reply