wait between name_firstupdate and name_update?

nimanator

wait between name_firstupdate and name_update?

Post by nimanator »

I wrote some code that allows people to create a name/value pair and transfer control to their namecoin wallet. After 12 blocks I run the name_firstupdate command and then I also immediately run a name_update command to transfer ownership to that person's wallet. That doesn't seem to work as I get an empty response from the "name_update" command.

Do I have to wait a certain period before doing the name_update?
Bit.co.in - The cryptocurrency address shortener
CoinJabber.com - Crypto business ratings and reviews

domob

Re: wait between name_firstupdate and name_update?

Post by domob »

I think you should be able to do that just fine. But maybe you have to wait for at least one confirmation of name_firstupdate in case you don't do that. There's no other waiting time involved, though, as far as I know.

BTW, I think we should enable name_firstupdate to a specified address. This should be easily doable in the code, and I can work on a patch. What do others think about this? (Also, since some patches of mine are pending as pull requests for some time already, would anyone test/review it?)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

nimanator

Post by nimanator »

Yes, I agree, that would actually be a great idea! =D

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

domob wrote:I think you should be able to do that just fine. But maybe you have to wait for at least one confirmation of name_firstupdate in case you don't do that. There's no other waiting time involved, though, as far as I know.

BTW, I think we should enable name_firstupdate to a specified address. This should be easily doable in the code, and I can work on a patch. What do others think about this? (Also, since some patches of mine are pending as pull requests for some time already, would anyone test/review it?)
What do you mean with patch ? Would be fixing of an incorrect behavior or an enhancement ?
Sorry. Maybe I didn't understood correctly. I just want to weight the advantage with the risks.

Some other related questions:
- 1. What advantage would it bring ?
Registering a name entry to another address then from where payed the fee ? So you don't need to transfer the fee in advance to that address ?
- 2. What would be the risks by this change ?
Eventually more confusion by the users and less understandable ? Hardfork ?
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

nimanator

Post by nimanator »

I'll let others comment on the risk but as far as benefits to: this way every service provider who allows people to generate their names online conveniently could immediately have that name transferred to the requester without any extra step or delay. (I tried this again in a isolated test it does seem to take 1 confirmation or so before namcoind will accept name_update after name_firstupdate.)

domob

Post by domob »

nimanator wrote:I'll let others comment on the risk but as far as benefits to: this way every service provider who allows people to generate their names online conveniently could immediately have that name transferred to the requester without any extra step or delay. (I tried this again in a isolated test it does seem to take 1 confirmation or so before namcoind will accept name_update after name_firstupdate.)
Exactly this. Or, what I would find interesting for myself, it would allow me to register names and send them immediately to a "colder" wallet if I consider them high-value. This would save me 0.005 NMC in fees and the blockchain an unnecessary transaction.

There are no risks whatsoever (except to mess up the implementation of the new feature, which should also not affect people who do not use it). I have to look at the details, but at least I believe this is the case.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

domob wrote:I think you should be able to do that just fine. But maybe you have to wait for at least one confirmation of name_firstupdate in case you don't do that. There's no other waiting time involved, though, as far as I know.

this would be useful if you can :)