freespeechme namecoin conflict on ubuntu linux?

tdbtdb

freespeechme namecoin conflict on ubuntu linux?

Post by tdbtdb »

What exactly is the conflict between freespeechme/firefox and the namecoin GUI client app?

I am trying to understand where I am, maybe give hints to people in similar circumstances. I have saucy/"Ubuntu 13.10" installed on my PC. A few days ago I installed freespeechme in firefox, got it able to browse .bit URLs. Now I am installing the namecoin wallet.

I followed the instructions for ubuntu on http://software.opensuse.org/download.h ... e=namecoin , using apt-get to install namecoin packages.

MWD said I needed to disable freespeechme in firefox and restart firefox. I disabled freespeechme in firefox and restarted firefox. But when I invoked namecoin it flashed the splash screen then failed silently, no visible error message or log entry. ps -ef command shows that firefox still has namecoin-related processes running (see below).

So I shut down firefox completely, no namecoin related processes running now. Now namecoin runs from command line and shows the blockchain updating.

So all seems well, but I am a bit confused about when/if I can run firefox and the namecoin GUI client at the same time. I guess to be safe(ish) I should not run them at the same time ever. I guess that's okay, as I can use the tyranny browser while the namecoin GUI is active. I assume that freespeechme will continue working after namecoin completes its download and I shut the namecoin GUI down, will update later if that's a problem.

Does anyone know a more elegant solution? Or maybe a nice explanation of what resource they are fighting over?
cheers,
Dave

#while firefox is running:
#root@:~# ps -ef|grep name
#tb 21361 21245 0 08:56 ? 00:00:00 upstart-dbus-bridge --daemon --system --user --bus-name system
#tb 21365 21245 0 08:56 ? 00:00:00 upstart-dbus-bridge --daemon --session --user --bus-name session
#tb 23473 23442 30 09:33 ? 00:00:14 /users/tb/.mozilla/firefox/dh2u1lg8.default/extensions/convergence@dot-#bit.org/daemons/namecoind/linux/x64/namecoind -datadir=/users/tb/.convergence-namecoin/ -server -rpcuser=convergence -#rpcpassword=convergence -rpcport=18835
#tb 23475 23442 0 09:33 ? 00:00:00 /bin/bash /users/tb/.mozilla/firefox/dh2u1lg8.default/extensions/convergence@dot-#bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/python/cd_launcher.sh /users/tb/.mozilla/firefox/dh2u1lg8.default/extensions/convergence@dot-#bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/python ./nmcontrol.py --daemon=0 --#data.update.namecoin=/users/tb/.mozilla/firefox/dh2u1lg8.default/extensions/convergence@dot-#bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/namecoin.conf --rpc.port=18836
#tb 23480 23475 0 09:33 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/python ./nmcontrol.py --daemon=0 --#data.update.namecoin=/users/tb/.mozilla/firefox/dh2u1lg8.default/extensions/convergence@dot-#bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/namecoin.conf --rpc.port=18836
#root 23552 23247 0 09:34 pts/14 00:00:00 grep --color=auto name

tdbtdb

Re: freespeechme namecoin conflict on ubuntu linux?

Post by tdbtdb »

I didn't notice, but when I invoked namecoin GUI it gave this error:

root@:~# namecoin
"sni-qt/23576" WARN 09:35:01.968 void StatusNotifierItemFactory::connectToSnw() Invalid interface to SNW_SERVICE

Sync seemed to be proceeding, but now the GUI is grayed out and unresponsive, can't switch from overview to "send coins" etc.

And now it's back. Hmmm...
Dave

biolizard89

Re: freespeechme namecoin conflict on ubuntu linux?

Post by biolizard89 »

tdbtdb wrote:What exactly is the conflict between freespeechme/firefox and the namecoin GUI client app?

I am trying to understand where I am, maybe give hints to people in similar circumstances. I have saucy/"Ubuntu 13.10" installed on my PC. A few days ago I installed freespeechme in firefox, got it able to browse .bit URLs. Now I am installing the namecoin wallet.

I followed the instructions for ubuntu on http://software.opensuse.org/download.h ... e=namecoin , using apt-get to install namecoin packages.

MWD said I needed to disable freespeechme in firefox and restart firefox. I disabled freespeechme in firefox and restarted firefox. But when I invoked namecoin it flashed the splash screen then failed silently, no visible error message or log entry. ps -ef command shows that firefox still has namecoin-related processes running (see below).

So I shut down firefox completely, no namecoin related processes running now. Now namecoin runs from command line and shows the blockchain updating.

So all seems well, but I am a bit confused about when/if I can run firefox and the namecoin GUI client at the same time. I guess to be safe(ish) I should not run them at the same time ever. I guess that's okay, as I can use the tyranny browser while the namecoin GUI is active. I assume that freespeechme will continue working after namecoin completes its download and I shut the namecoin GUI down, will update later if that's a problem.

Does anyone know a more elegant solution? Or maybe a nice explanation of what resource they are fighting over?
cheers,
Dave

#while firefox is running:
#root@:~# ps -ef|grep name
#tb 21361 21245 0 08:56 ? 00:00:00 upstart-dbus-bridge --daemon --system --user --bus-name system
#tb 21365 21245 0 08:56 ? 00:00:00 upstart-dbus-bridge --daemon --session --user --bus-name session
#tb 23473 23442 30 09:33 ? 00:00:14 /users/tb/.mozilla/firefox/dh2u1lg8.default/extensions/convergence@dot-#bit.org/daemons/namecoind/linux/x64/namecoind -datadir=/users/tb/.convergence-namecoin/ -server -rpcuser=convergence -#rpcpassword=convergence -rpcport=18835
#tb 23475 23442 0 09:33 ? 00:00:00 /bin/bash /users/tb/.mozilla/firefox/dh2u1lg8.default/extensions/convergence@dot-#bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/python/cd_launcher.sh /users/tb/.mozilla/firefox/dh2u1lg8.default/extensions/convergence@dot-#bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/python ./nmcontrol.py --daemon=0 --#data.update.namecoin=/users/tb/.mozilla/firefox/dh2u1lg8.default/extensions/convergence@dot-#bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/namecoin.conf --rpc.port=18836
#tb 23480 23475 0 09:33 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/python ./nmcontrol.py --daemon=0 --#data.update.namecoin=/users/tb/.mozilla/firefox/dh2u1lg8.default/extensions/convergence@dot-#bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/namecoin.conf --rpc.port=18836
#root 23552 23247 0 09:34 pts/14 00:00:00 grep --color=auto name
My best guess is that the conflict involves both Namecoin-Qt and FreeSpeechMe trying to listen for Namecoin peers on the same port. If that's correct, it should be relatively easy to solve.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5