FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

MWD
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:31 pm
os: windows
Contact:

Re: FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

Post by MWD » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:52 pm

Jeremy's reply to someone who had the same issue:
Make sure FreeSpeechMe is configured to launch namecoind and nmcontrol. Then close Firefox and make sure that namecoind and nmcontrol are not running. Open up a command prompt window (Start->Run->cmd). Type the path and filename of firefox.exe in your Program Files folder, plus " -console" (without quotes). So it'll be something like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -console

Firefox will launch, along with some text in the command window. Look for something that says "nmcontrol started." or "nmcontrol not found." Then copy and paste everything within 3 screenfuls of that message (more is better), into an e-mail and send it to me.

Thanks,
-Jeremy

---

also:
On 13/02/14 18:08, Alex wrote:
Ok I was looking in the wrong place. I have found it. It was marked as
non executable. Is there a command other than namecoind to run it? I
can't get it to run.


On 02/13/2014 12:53 AM, Alex wrote:
Hi Jeremy

I am running 64bit Mint.

I had a look for those folders and they don't seem to exist. I searched
my whole drive for that folder name and it didn't come up. In my
firefox extensions folder there are two folders and neither are called
convergence@dot-bit.org. I tried to run namecoind from the command line
and the command was not found. Then I searched for namecoind and it
didn't come up. I don't think it's there at all.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks


Interesting. For me the folder with namecoind in it is
/home/jeremy/.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default/extensions/convergence@dot-bit.org/daemons/namecoind/linux/x64
. (The username and profile name will be different for you.) Does
something like this really not exist on your machine?
Namecoin, Dot-Bit and MeowBit are a complete new Internet ecosystem, building the roads to Web 4.0. http://www.meowbit.com
Dot-Bit Kitty Pix! The ONLY .bit-only kitty cat website in the world! http://dotbitkittypix.bit

biolizard89
Posts: 1982
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

Post by biolizard89 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:12 pm

georgem wrote:Can't we have a separate sub-forum for freespeechme, and not only a single thread?

I have a lot of bugs and screenshots I want to talk about... this will mess up the communication if we have to post everything here in one thread.

I'd rather open a new thread for every problem. Is that possible?


Or am I supposed to put a [FreeSpeechMe] tag in the threads name?
I would prefer a separate sub-forum.
Feel free to make additional threads.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89
Posts: 1982
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

Post by biolizard89 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Deafboy wrote:I've just noticed a strange thing. I get "Namecoin: Verification success" in the browser even though the fingerprint on the web server does not match the one inside the blockchain.
Is it just accepting any fingerprint if the hostname in the cert is correct?
It should be checking the SHA1 fingerprint but not the Common Name. Can you please point me to a .bit domain which demonstrates the behavior you're seeing?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

MWD
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:31 pm
os: windows
Contact:

Re: FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

Post by MWD » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:20 pm

biolizard89 wrote:
Deafboy wrote:I've just noticed a strange thing. I get "Namecoin: Verification success" in the browser even though the fingerprint on the web server does not match the one inside the blockchain.
Is it just accepting any fingerprint if the hostname in the cert is correct?
It should be checking the SHA1 fingerprint but not the Common Name. Can you please point me to a .bit domain which demonstrates the behavior you're seeing?

Biolizard/Jeremy rocks. There, I just had to say it.

I think we should call the smallest denomination of Namecoin a
"an appamatto/Swartz"

and call the amount it takes to register a domain name
"a Jeremy."

And find names for other things in the Dot-Bit realm based on the Namecoin team/developers' names. Any ideas? I should probably start another thread, but I'm punch drunk from making the English language/Chinese subtitle version of the FreeSpeechMe video. It's not as easy as it sounds, and it doesn't sound easy.

lol.

MWD
Last edited by MWD on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namecoin, Dot-Bit and MeowBit are a complete new Internet ecosystem, building the roads to Web 4.0. http://www.meowbit.com
Dot-Bit Kitty Pix! The ONLY .bit-only kitty cat website in the world! http://dotbitkittypix.bit

biolizard89
Posts: 1982
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

Post by biolizard89 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 pm

fwb3 wrote:Hi folks. First post to the forum. I'm running an ubuntu desktop (12.04 LTS) with firefox 27.0. I didn't have namecoind or nmcontrol or a wallet installed on this box, so I installed freespeechme with the bundle. The install seemed to complete. That is, freespeechme shows up in my firefox extensions, and on the toolbar. I assumed the blockchain was downloading. Next morning, I try browsing a .bit site (such as https://dot-bit.bit/), I get a connection was reset page. When I open freespeechme's option dialog, I see the message...

namecoind not responding, try again in a couple minutes.

This has been this was since the exension was installed. Port 80 is working fine. No evidence of this being a firewall issue. I fear I'm missing something obvious. Any suggtions?

thanks!
MWD's suggestion about namecoind needing execute permissions might be worth checking into. It looks like on some subset of Linux systems, namecoind and/or nmcontrol.py may not receive execute permissions properly. If you're familiar with permissions in Linux it should be easy to check this; if you're not, let me know and I'll try to help you check it.

Also, are you on 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu? 32-bit Linux doesn't work right now.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm
os: mac

Re: FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

Post by indolering » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:39 am

What we need is a Q/A for all projects with [project] tagging.
georgem wrote:Can't we have a separate sub-forum for freespeechme, and not only a single thread?

I have a lot of bugs and screenshots I want to talk about... this will mess up the communication if we have to post everything here in one thread.

I'd rather open a new thread for every problem. Is that possible?


Or am I supposed to put a [FreeSpeechMe] tag in the threads name?
I would prefer a separate sub-forum.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

MWD
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:31 pm
os: windows
Contact:

Re: FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

Post by MWD » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:55 am

indolering wrote:What we need is a Q/A for all projects with [project] tagging.
Agreed.

indolering (cool name, I get it), aren't you a moderator on here? Part of the team? Can you possibly please set up a FreeSpeechMe sub-forum?

The FAQ with tagging looks very useful, but would probably take longer to set up.

Thanks!
MWD
Namecoin, Dot-Bit and MeowBit are a complete new Internet ecosystem, building the roads to Web 4.0. http://www.meowbit.com
Dot-Bit Kitty Pix! The ONLY .bit-only kitty cat website in the world! http://dotbitkittypix.bit

Deafboy
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 5:58 pm
os: linux

Re: FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

Post by Deafboy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:39 pm

biolizard89 wrote:
Deafboy wrote:I've just noticed a strange thing. I get "Namecoin: Verification success" in the browser even though the fingerprint on the web server does not match the one inside the blockchain.
Is it just accepting any fingerprint if the hostname in the cert is correct?
It should be checking the SHA1 fingerprint but not the Common Name. Can you please point me to a .bit domain which demonstrates the behavior you're seeing?
It's coinunity.bit
I have tried several fingerprints (due to my missunderstanding of how the whole convergence thing works) but the plugin always accepted every one of them as correct.
The problemis that I don't have an access to the webserver on the mentioned domain. I'll do more testing on my own server later.

fwb3
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:54 pm
os: linux
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

Post by fwb3 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:37 am

fwb3 wrote:Hi folks. First post to the forum. I'm running an ubuntu desktop (12.04 LTS) with firefox 27.0. I didn't have namecoind or nmcontrol or a wallet installed on this box, so I installed freespeechme with the bundle. The install seemed to complete. That is, freespeechme shows up in my firefox extensions, and on the toolbar. I assumed the blockchain was downloading. Next morning, I try browsing a .bit site (such as https://dot-bit.bit/), I get a connection was reset page. When I open freespeechme's option dialog, I see the message...

namecoind not responding, try again in a couple minutes.

This has been this was since the exension was installed. Port 80 is working fine. No evidence of this being a firewall issue. I fear I'm missing something obvious. Any suggtions?

thanks!
Meant to update this earlier. My bad. Ubuntu 12.04 will not run the freespeechme stuff anymore than the namecoind can. Should have put that together. I do have a running 13.10 ubuntu running now. Some issues maybe there, but I'll start a different thread or join an appropriate one if one exists by then. :-) And as an FYI, my windoze box is using freespeechme just fine.

MWD
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:31 pm
os: windows
Contact:

Re: FreeSpeechMe Tech Help

Post by MWD » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:43 am

fwb3 wrote: Ubuntu 12.04 will not run the freespeechme stuff anymore than the namecoind can.
Thanks! Good to know.

MWD
Namecoin, Dot-Bit and MeowBit are a complete new Internet ecosystem, building the roads to Web 4.0. http://www.meowbit.com
Dot-Bit Kitty Pix! The ONLY .bit-only kitty cat website in the world! http://dotbitkittypix.bit

Post Reply