Namecoind won't start with restored wallet.dat

Galahad

Re: Namecoind won't start with restored wallet.dat

Post by Galahad »

snailbrain wrote:
Galahad wrote:The program (namecoin qt) does work without my wallet.dat.
ok.. i just re-read your first post.. i think i misread as your wrote "find" instead of "fine" (typo?).. i must have skimmed past

your wallet is corrupted then
Why? It's backed up to dvd 30 times from a working installation, using 3 dvds and 2 burning programs. What could have possibly gone wrong?

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

try some other backups

maybe the original was corrupted..?

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

you can use pywallet to try to dump your privkeys.. then import them into a fresh wallet

https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

snailbrain wrote:try some other backups

It was working on Linux but I never tried to copy the coins out at any point. The namecoin.exe did load fine though.

I've also been trying to use the pywallet approach as well. The installation isn't perfect so perhaps if I try to get it working a bit better. I'm getting this error currently:

Code: Select all

C:\pywallet-master>pywallet.py --dumpwallet --datadir=C:\pywallet-master\ --namecoin
WARNING:root:pycrypto or libssl not found, decryption may be slow
ERROR:root:Couldn't open wallet.dat/main. Try quitting Bitcoin and running this again.
EDITED:
I've installed pycrypto but it doesn't seem to be able to see it.

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

Galahad wrote:

It was working on Linux but I never tried to copy the coins out at any point. The namecoin.exe did load fine though.

I've also been trying to use the pywallet approach as well. The installation isn't perfect so perhaps if I try to get it working a bit better. I'm getting this error currently:

C:\pywallet-master>pywallet.py --dumpwallet --datadir=C:\pywallet-master\ --namecoin
ERROR:root:Couldn't open wallet.dat/main. Try quitting Bitcoin and running this again.
EDITED:
if you can use linux.. you can try it on there,.,, you can use https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin
compile on linux... only the hardfork patch has been applied to this repo.. it's otherwise identical to v3.50

just to confirm that it isn't something to do with the qt repo

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

snailbrain wrote:
Galahad wrote:

EDITED:
if you can use linux.. you can try it on there,.,, you can use https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin
compile on linux... only the hardfork patch has been applied to this repo.. it's otherwise identical to v3.50

just to confirm that it isn't something to do with the qt repo :)
I may have another go with Linux later. Right now I'm about ready to cut my losses with Namecoin. I don't really know how to compile things on Linux or anything about forks although I know what a repository is. I just learnt what I needed to to get into crypto currencies, never thought I'd have to bother with anything at this level.

I faced up to it and tried to reload my Bitcoins and Litecoins. Luckily those are unaffected by this problem. God knows how the namecoin wallet got corrupted.

I also managed to fix the issue with Pycrypto and Pywallet by installing the pycrypto installer for Windows (pycrypto-2.6.win32-py2.7.exe) but this didn't help it to extract the wallet.

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

it's unlikely it's the software, otherwise we'd probably have a million posts :(

are you sure you are using a namecoin wallet.dat?

if need some 1 on 1 help, you can send me a pm and can try on skype or something

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

snailbrain wrote:it's unlikely it's the software, otherwise we'd probably have a million posts :(

if need some 1 on 1 help, you can send me a pm and can try on skype or something
Thanks for the offer, and all your help here. Yes it's definitely a namecoin wallet but will try and load it into other programs to rule that out.

iopq

Post by iopq »

snailbrain wrote:it's unlikely it's the software, otherwise we'd probably have a million posts :(

I have the same issue

very old wallet, DB errors and namecoin-qt crashes all the time trying to sync

phelix

Post by phelix »

iopq wrote:

I have the same issue

very old wallet, DB errors and namecoin-qt crashes all the time trying to sync
What version/system are you using?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum