Namecoind won't start with restored wallet.dat

Galahad

Namecoind won't start with restored wallet.dat

Post by Galahad »

I've tried to reload my wallet.dat from disc in Windows and Linux Mint. On both there are issues. Here is the error I get in Windows. I will try and post the Linux error later if needed.

The blockchain hasn't fully downloaded but I don't believe that should matter.

I did try running from the command line and using the rescan option but that didn't help (and apparently isn't needed anymore.)

How can I restore this properly please? I'm using version Q.3.72 namecoin in Windows. The installation works fine if I delete the wallet.dat I'm trying to import.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate, 6.1.

I've done searches for the answer but I can't find anything helpful so far.
EXCEPTION: 22DbRunRecoveryException
DbEnv::open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
C:\namecoin\namecoind.exe in AppInit()

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'DbRunRecoveryException'
what(): DbEnv::open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Last edited by Galahad on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snailbrain

Re: Namecoind won't start with restored wallet.dat

Post by snailbrain »

Galahad wrote:I've tried to reload my wallet.dat from disc in Windows and Linux Mint. On both there are issues. Here is the error I get in Windows. I will try and post the Linux error later if needed.

The blockchain hasn't fully downloaded but I don't believe that should matter.

I did try running from the command line and using the rescan option but that didn't help (and apparently isn't needed anymore.)

How can I restore this properly please? I'm using version Q.3.72 namecoin in Windows. The installation works find if I delete the wallet.dat I'm trying to import.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate, 6.1.

I've done searches for the answer but I can't find anything helpful so far.
C:\namecoin\namecoind.exe in AppInit()

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'DbRunRecoveryException'
what(): DbEnv::open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
delete nameindex.dat

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

snailbrain wrote: delete nameindex.dat
No that didn't seem to help. Error is the same.

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

Galahad wrote:
snailbrain wrote: delete nameindex.dat
No that didn't seem to help. Error is the same.
did you compile yourself?

probably you need to delete block chain..

this just a guess:-

i had this error before.. I THINK it was because it was compiled with different db version - we compiled the qt with db4.7.5.. but phelix easywinbuilder used 4.8.3..
(now all is with 4.8.3)
so if you used the old dlls with new qt (or vice versa, can't remember).. it gave this error.
again.. only guessing

anyway.. if you just download the latest qt - can get it here for now (also use the dlls included):-- http://www.mediafire.com/folder/3aa8ukj ... amecoin-qt

and delete everything except wallet.. it should work

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

snailbrain wrote: did you compile yourself?

i had this error before.. I THINK it was because it was compiled with different db version - we compiled the qt with db4.7.5.. but phelix easywinbuilder used 4.8.3..
(now all is with 4.8.3)
so if you used the old dlls with new qt (or vice versa, can't remember).. it gave this error.
again.. only guessing

anyway.. if you just download the latest qt - can get it here for now (also use the dlls included):-- http://www.mediafire.com/folder/3aa8ukj ... amecoin-qt

Sorry for taking ages to reply. I just downloaded the namecoin qt for windows and moved it to a folder. Then I created a config file in users directory and ran the namecoind.exe file.

It gave this error so after that I experimented with deleting everything in "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Namecoin" directory, rerunning namecoind.exe, stopping namecoind.exe, replacing wallet.dat and then running namecoind.exe again. Same error.

So getting back to your comment: If my wallet was compiled using old code, should I be downloading the old version of namecoin in order to fix this? If so what version may work please?

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

Galahad wrote:
snailbrain wrote: did you compile yourself?

(now all is with 4.8.3)
again.. only guessing

Sorry for taking ages to reply. I just downloaded the namecoin qt for windows and moved it to a folder. Then I created a config file in users directory and ran the namecoind.exe file.

It gave this error so after that I experimented with deleting everything in "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Namecoin" directory, rerunning namecoind.exe, stopping namecoind.exe, replacing wallet.dat and then running namecoind.exe again. Same error.

So getting back to your comment: If my wallet was compiled using old code, should I be downloading the old version of namecoin in order to fix this? If so what version may work please?
no, your wallet should work with any..

maybe your wallet is corrupted though.

but.. you are running namecoind windows version (namecoind.exe)? or did you mean namecoin-qt?

---

just delete everything from roaming/namecoin except wallet.dat

download namecoin-qt from http://www.namecoin.info

run namecoin-qt after unzipping to a folder..

---

it will work, or you must be doing something else wrong :D <3

-----

what i was talking about before was something different - i.e. if you already have some namecoin-qt folder, and you just replaced the exe without replacing all the dll files.. then you may get some error.... JUST IGNORE THIS THOUGH .. and do the above..

EDIT: just saw from the error it does say namecoind.exe --- why don't you run namecoin-qt --- are you sure you are not running an old namecoind with new dlls? (or vice versa)
make sure you are using the new namecoind (3.72) -- or just use namecoin qt

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

OK I downloaded namecoin qt like you said and deleted everything in Roaming/Namecoin. But when I add in my own wallet.dat I just get another error:

Code: Select all

A fatal error occurred. Namecoin can no longer continue safely and will quit. 
C:\namecoin_qt\namecoin-qt.exe in Runaway exception
I tried deleting the database folder and rerunning and I got this instead:

EXCEPTION: 11DbException
DB::open: Invalid argument
Everything I've tried with this wallet.dat has failed. All I did was backup the wallet.dat to various dvds. I used different burning programs and dvds to ensure nothing bad could happen to it. I did rename the wallet.dat before burning and added dozens of copies of the file to the disc in case one part of the dvd got corrupted. I've also done this for my litecoins and bitcoins so I'm very worried now. Is there any reason why it should be corrupted using this approach?

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

Galahad wrote:OK I downloaded namecoin qt like you said and deleted everything in Roaming/Namecoin. But when I add in my own wallet.dat I just get another error:

I tried deleting the database folder and rerunning and I got this instead:

EXCEPTION: 11DbException
DB::open: Invalid argument
Everything I've tried with this wallet.dat has failed. All I did was backup the wallet.dat to various dvds. I used different burning programs and dvds to ensure nothing bad could happen to it. I did rename the wallet.dat before burning and added dozens of copies of the file to the disc in case one part of the dvd got corrupted. I've also done this for my litecoins and bitcoins so I'm very worried now. Is there any reason why it should be corrupted using this approach?
backup wallet...
delete everything in roaming/namecoin (even folders)

and see if it works without your wallet...

if it's working without your wallet, it's got corrupted somewhere ://

maybe Khal (i can try myself) can recover your privkeys from your corrupted wallet... maybe you can try yourself with pywallet (i've never used it).

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

The program (namecoin qt) does work without my wallet.dat.

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

Galahad wrote:The program (namecoin qt) does work without my wallet.dat.
ok.. i just re-read your first post.. i think i misread as your wrote "find" instead of "fine" (typo?).. i must have skimmed past

your wallet is corrupted then