Registering a domain

latukka

Registering a domain

Post by latukka »

So I want to register a domain with no knowhow.
1# I assume that I need to have enough NC:s at my addresses to register a domain. Is it ok to have small amounts with different addresses so that combined amount is enough to buy a domain or does all the money need to be in certain address?

Assume I want to register cat.bit
So I type in cmd "namecoin name_new d/cat" to pre-ordrer the name.

2# What does pre-order mean? Does it mean that anyone else can still take the domain if I don't act fast enough to register it?

Now I wait 12 blocks and register domain:
I type "namecoind name_firstupdate d/sex <rand> '<json-value>'"

3# Rand is the shorter hex number I get pre-ordering the domain, but what is json-value and how do I get one?
If I want just own this domain parked for future use, do I need to enter json-value at all?

khal
Site Admin

Re: Registering a domain

Post by khal »

latukka wrote:So I want to register a domain with no knowhow.
1# I assume that I need to have enough NC:s at my addresses to register a domain. Is it ok to have small amounts with different addresses so that combined amount is enough to buy a domain or does all the money need to be in certain address?
Same as standard transactions. If size of your tx is too big, you will pay 0.01NC fees per KB.
latukka wrote:Assume I want to register cat.bit
So I type in cmd "namecoin name_new d/cat" to pre-ordrer the name.

2# What does pre-order mean? Does it mean that anyone else can still take the domain if I don't act fast enough to register it?
Yes, but a name_new does not send the name in clear, so people don't know you want to register it. This to avoid someone else launching a name_new on your name just after receiving your transaction.
latukka wrote:Now I wait 12 blocks and register domain:
I type "namecoind name_firstupdate d/sex <rand> '<json-value>'"

3# Rand is the shorter hex number I get pre-ordering the domain, but what is json-value and how do I get one?
If I want just own this domain parked for future use, do I need to enter json-value at all?
Put what you want as value, you can update it later to a json-value.
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent