Forum IP blocking

indolering

Forum IP blocking

Post by indolering »

I accidentally left my VPN on and I was prevented from posting because of the IP address. While spambots are a major pain, given the nature of the topic we are discussing I think auto-blocking spammy IP's is inappropriate. I can see requiring additional reverse Turing tests, but I'm on an account with >10 posts and over a month old.

Could we tune that filtering a bit?
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89

Re: Forum IP blocking

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:I accidentally left my VPN on and I was prevented from posting because of the IP address. While spambots are a major pain, given the nature of the topic we are discussing I think auto-blocking spammy IP's is inappropriate. I can see requiring additional reverse Turing tests, but I'm on an account with >10 posts and over a month old.

Could we tune that filtering a bit?
Agreed. Although the filter seems to be less aggressive than a month ago... previously it was blocking my primary ISP, now it doesn't seem to be anymore. In any event I think at least Tor IP's should be allowed.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

Anonymity vs security.
Some security experts say this is a false dichotomy. (for ex. security expert Schneier) I agree with this.
However in many situations some measures improving anonymity can act contradictory to security requirements.
In other situations anonymity can improve security.
If more anonymity is required then we should find ways improving it without reducing security or we should eventually find measures to improve both in the same time.
---------------
Some ideas:

- We are speaking about Namecoin id/ use cases. It was mentioned also as identification system for websites, a kind of OpenID alternative.
Could we implement it ? Somebody who is logging in with his Namecoin id shouldn't have IP check and email check at all. (if the Namecoin id is not blocked for spamming)
(serving anonymity, security and the Namecoin project)

- Namecoin/Bitcoin donators for the Namecoin project shouldn't have IP check and email check(registration) also.

- Captcha or other Turing tests could be used or eventually hashcash in form of Namecoin/Bitcoin mining 10' in the browser (by registration) for the Namecoin project. No IP check.
(anonymity and security doesn't conflict)
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

domob

Post by domob »

virtual_master wrote:- We are speaking about Namecoin id/ use cases. It was mentioned also as identification system for websites, a kind of OpenID alternative.
Could we implement it ? Somebody who is logging in with his Namecoin id shouldn't have IP check and email check at all. (if the Namecoin id is not blocked for spamming)

- Namecoin/Bitcoin donators for the Namecoin project shouldn't have IP check and email check(registration) also.

- Captcha or other Turing tests could be used or eventually hashcash in form of Namecoin/Bitcoin mining 10' in the browser (by registration) for the Namecoin project. No IP check.
(anonymity and security doesn't conflict)
I like those ideas, and of course in particular the first one. ;) In my repository for NameID (see my signature) there's PHP code and a brief README that allows to implement Namecoin identity logins on the server-side without requiring to go through an OpenID provider. This would then also work with my NameID login Mozilla add-on. If there's interest, I can help with integrating this into the forum login system.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering

Post by indolering »

I think we are over-thinking things here! Kismet is remarkably good at catching new spam and I think a layered approach of requiring captchas before an account has 5 legit posts is probably more than enough to shut down the spam.

Besides, phpBB has a module for all of this already!
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

I had also some difficulties with the blocking.
l
i
v
e
j
o
u
r
n
a
l
.com
I tried to list in another thread as OpenID supporting site which is working with Domob's Namecoin identity providing facility but it was listed this site as spam.

The domain livejournal.com you have posted has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://dnsbl.otello.ch?livejournal.com.
The domain sourceforge.net you have posted has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://dnsbl.otello.ch?sourceforge.net.
An entry on the blacklist may have several reasons:
1. You are a well-known spammer.
2. Last time a well-known spammer was using the dynamic IP address which you got from your ISP (Internet Service Provider), your e-mail address or the username you have choosen.
3. Your ISP is well-known for a lot of spamming customers and is not fighting against spammers enough.

Second time also:
The domain www you have posted has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://bsb.spamlookup.net/lookup?q=www.
An entry on the blacklist may have several reasons:
1. You are a well-known spammer.
2. Last time a well-known spammer was using the dynamic IP address which you got from your ISP (Internet Service Provider), your e-mail address or the username you have choosen.
3. Your ISP is well-known for a lot of spamming customers and is not fighting against spammers enough.

So easy can you become a well known spammer.
:D :D :D

On the litecoin site it was even easier. When I registered I mistyped my email and was registered with the wrong one from where I couldn't confirm the registration. A second registration with another username was not possible because from my ID it was already registered an account. (with my mistyped email)
:D :D :D
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S