Testnet

domob

Testnet

Post by domob »

Is there a Namecoin test-net that I can use to experiment with registering names without burning real NMC? (I suppose there is similarly to Bitcoin, I just never tried.) And how do I get test-net NMC for working with them, is there some kind of give-away somewhere? Or am I able to mine a block on the test-net with standard hardware in a realistic time?
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Re: Testnet

Post by phelix »

domob wrote:Is there a Namecoin test-net that I can use to experiment with registering names without burning real NMC? (I suppose there is similarly to Bitcoin, I just never tried.) And how do I get test-net NMC for working with them, is there some kind of give-away somewhere? Or am I able to mine a block on the test-net with standard hardware in a realistic time?
Maybe ask moa: http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

moa

Post by moa »

Has been quite some time since I configured to use namecoin testnet so couldn't say categorically. maybe ask kahl?

Usually now I just start with a fresh, empty wallet and test stuff on main net since namecoin isn't particularly mainstream ... unless you have code you think can break the net ...

domob

Post by domob »

moa wrote:Has been quite some time since I configured to use namecoin testnet so couldn't say categorically. maybe ask kahl?

Usually now I just start with a fresh, empty wallet and test stuff on main net since namecoin isn't particularly mainstream ... unless you have code you think can break the net ...
Thanks for the info. I'm not going to work on the client, but instead I want to test code that registers names and so on. And while a name isn't particularly expensive, I would have preferred to use testnet-coins for that rather than real ones; but if that's not so easily possible, I have no problem to spend some 0.01 NMCs on the real net for that. ;)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

indolering

Post by indolering »

domob wrote: Thanks for the info. I'm not going to work on the client, but instead I want to test code that registers names and so on. And while a name isn't particularly expensive, I would have preferred to use testnet-coins for that rather than real ones; but if that's not so easily possible, I have no problem to spend some 0.01 NMCs on the real net for that. ;)
I had the same question a few weeks back, try getting it up and running and let us know how it goes. Maybe document it on the wiki?

If it doesn't pan out, I can throw you some nmc, I have a lot from dual-mining.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

domob

Post by domob »

Quick update: When I addnode 178.32.31.41 as suggested by khal in the thread linked above (from 2011, but it seems that IP is still up), I get a connection on testnet. I also started it up on my VPS, and now I even see 2 or 3 connections, yeah! :D

Let's see whether I can mine some coins ... the difficulty is 1144, and my laptop makes around 1.7 MHash/s. The VPS makes about 2 MHash/s, so it will be interesting whether I have some coins tomorrow (but I think it should work out, although I don't really have any experience with mining). I'll keep you updated, this is definitely fun! :D

nkuttler

Post by nkuttler »

I'm also looking for testnet coins, because I don't want to burn real ones while developing/testing a flask app. I currently see 2 connections, so somebody must be out there :-) I have never mined anything, so any donation to mqiGPrMwV62pkPyoWWdpb9eKm5rsWLUpJH would be appreciated. I also run a small BTC testnet faucet that I could switch to NMC if somebody has many to fill it. Or could I still mine some quickly with a CPU?

foglight

Post by foglight »

nkuttler wrote:I'm also looking for testnet coins, because I don't want to burn real ones while developing/testing a flask app. I currently see 2 connections, so somebody must be out there :-) I have never mined anything, so any donation to mqiGPrMwV62pkPyoWWdpb9eKm5rsWLUpJH would be appreciated. I also run a small BTC testnet faucet that I could switch to NMC if somebody has many to fill it. Or could I still mine some quickly with a CPU?
tell me more about the flask app! how many nmc would you say you need?

domob, you too! how many do you need at the moment?

nkuttler

Post by nkuttler »

foglight wrote: tell me more about the flask app! how many nmc would you say you need?
The flask app started as an experiment with the bitcoin RPC API to list stuff. Then I added basic functionality like displaying accounts, addresses, creating new ones. Everything went smoothly so I added sending coins from a wallet, sending coins from an account. Then I thought, well, all I need now is message signing and I won't need bitcoin-qt any more :-)

Then I noticed all coins share a similar API and added my FTC nodes to my app instance (the nodes are stored in a db). Then I read about NMC again and thought that's a coin that's actually useful in itself. So now I want to support the commands for managing names.

If you're interested I could send it to you in it's current state, I don't feel like publishing it yet, it's not polished enough yet. I'm not even sure people will find it that useful (bitcoin-python doesn't do https afaik, so it would only be useful on localhost or a tightly secured LAN). I've uploaded a few screenshots to http://dev.kuttler.eu/public/flaskwallet/

I don't really know how many NMC I need. A new name apparently costs 0.01 now, but I'm not sure if that applies to testnet as well? I guess 1 testnet coin would be more than enough to get started :-) If you mean real NMC.. I don't plan on registering many names per se, but it would still be nice if I could do some testing.

Edit: Actually, if nobody has testnet coins I'll just buy real NMC I guess :-|

indolering

Post by indolering »

What's your namecoin address? It would be great if you could keep the testnet up and running. I've got an NMC box running 24/7, is it a PITA to set up?
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.