Testnet

domob

Re: Testnet

Post by domob »

Just as a quick update: I've been able to mine some blocks on the testnet (with small ASICs), but the high difficulty is really a pain. If I try to port Bitcoin's mechanism for testnet (set difficulty to 1 for one block if there hasn't been a block in 20 minutes of real time) over, would that be seen as a good thing and accepted by the "official" code-base (snailbrain / khal)?

Would those who currently run testnet nodes update? (I see 3 connections, of which my own node at nameid.org is one.)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:Just as a quick update: I've been able to mine some blocks on the testnet (with small ASICs), but the high difficulty is really a pain. If I try to port Bitcoin's mechanism for testnet (set difficulty to 1 for one block if there hasn't been a block in 20 minutes of real time) over, would that be seen as a good thing and accepted by the "official" code-base (snailbrain / khal)?

Would those who currently run testnet nodes update? (I see 3 connections, of which my own node at nameid.org is one.)
Personally I think that would be best done after the libcoin rebase, assuming that happens soon. But, I do agree that fixing the testnet difficulty should be done. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

Since yesterday (or so), there seems to be ongoing mining on test net (after I mined around 100 blocks sporadically over the last week or so). Is the one doing it by chance here? I would be interested what the intents are after the next difficulty update. Since the difficulty will probably go down fast, it could be that afterwards, hundreds of blocks are quickly found and the difficulty just adjusts back up. Are the people mining currently planning to do so supporting the test net in the future so that we don't get possibly stuck again with high difficulty?
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/