How to mine?

Bulkin

How to mine?

Post by Bulkin »

Hello,
I spent the evening trying to explore everything myself and using search. And still there are questions.
1. My computer
ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics
AMD Phenom II X4 3.00 GHz
Windows 7
What miner is best for me? Is it better to mine using CPU or GPU?

2. I've already tried this: http://ufasoft.com/open/bitcoin/
First, do I need to click bitcoin-miner.exe? It just blinks and disappears.
I entered this:
bitcoin-miner.exe -o http://bitparking.com:9098 -u {{my address}} -p {{pass as in bitcoin.conf}} -t 8 -a 5
It says 8 threads Using SSE 2
0 MHash/s
And I see or hear nothing more.
What is "-o","-t" and "-a"?
Maybe there's smth else I need to do?

Can someone give step-by-step instructions for people, who are brave enough to use command line and try to understand commands, but not the geeks who would say: "-o -t 8 -a 5 threadsMHash/s? ОК, piece of cake!"
Maybe some good link, I couldn't find myself.
Thank you!
Last edited by Bulkin on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kroutonz

Re: How to mine?

Post by Kroutonz »

Hey, I get the same thing with bitcoin-miner. Not sure what is going on, I'm on windows also.

OddOne

Post by OddOne »

I'm using GUIminer myself, with one of the included GPU miners (which is actually poclbm) doing its thing.

If you're using the bitparking.com pool, the command line for poclbm looks like this:

Code: Select all

poclbm.exe --user=<YourNameCoinAddress> --pass=<Whatever> -o bitparking.com -p 9098 -d0 --verbose
If you're soloing, you'll need to make sure you gave namecoind the bitcoin.conf file it complains about (see the instruction page, here), and then launch namecoind and let it download the block chain, and finally, connect a miner to it. Again, for poclbm the command line would look like this:

poclbm.exe --user=<UsernameFromConfFile> --pass=<PasswordFromConfFile> -o 127.0.0.1 -p 8336 -d0 --verbose
You can check the status of your solo mining by sending namecoind a command to expose that data, which would be:

Linux: ./namecoind listreceivedbyaddress 0 true
Windows: namecoind.exe listreceivedbyaddress 0 true

Bulkin

Post by Bulkin »

OddOne, thank you!
It seems, everything is working well, I see lines like "date/time, 1322 khash/s" appearing every second.
I ran in command line "poclbm.exe --etc" and then clicked GUIMiner "Start mining" button. Do I need to do it, or maybe command line is enough?
If I use GUI (Server: Other), what port to enter for bitparking.com: default or 9098? I entered 9098.

What does it mean: "long poll: new block"; "ValueError: no JSON object could be decoded"(it appears often)?
Twice I got:
"Verification failed: check hardware"
Lines stopped, but my CPU were still busy and GUIminer showed that mining is going on, it says "2,5 Mhash/s" and "Shares: 0 accepted"
I started again with command line, then (the second time) GUI said "ValueError: no JSON object could be decoded". Then I decided to turn off GUI and leave the command line. I noticed, that the value of khash/s in lines rised to 25xx khash/s.
If I do smth wrong or need to correct smth, please tell me

As I understand, If I use the pool, some namecoins for me are guaranteed, I don't need to worry to win nothing, am I right? What if I stop mining process and start again? Do I loose something? If I use the pool, does my own CPU/GPU power matters and how?
Does it still make sense to mine solo?
I am grateful for any comments and information

Bulkin

Post by Bulkin »

OK, there were some problems with the pool, as I understand. Now everything is fine except "Verification failed: check hardware". It appears after 10-20 minutes and mining stops.
I don't know how to check it.