Help me out here please - Windows

brunoshady

Help me out here please - Windows

Post by brunoshady »

I'm kinda noob in the namecoin, but Im willing to try it out...

I've downloaded a client, configured the bitcoin.conf file with password, user, port and daemon I don't know what do do next...

When I try to open namecoind.exe, nothing shows up... ok, then Im trying namecoind.exe listtransactions and it says that cannot connect to the server..
The namecoin has some directly connection with bitcoin blocks? (didn't download them yet)

And what commands or miners or other stuff I need to do before can start mining? Only create a new address?

rootofhtb

Re: Help me out here please - Windows

Post by rootofhtb »

Hi,

Try opening a command prompt and navigating to the folder which contains namecoind.exe.

Which version of windows? Well, Start / Run / cmd.exe should open a command prompt on XP. Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt should work for a few other windows versions.

Run the appropriate command "cd /D C:/Path/To/namecoin" to change to the directory on your pc which contains namecoind.exe. You could optionally call namecoind directly by providing the complete path upon execution i.e. "C:/Path/To/namecoin/namecoind.exe"

Now run "namecoind.exe". Check to see if any errors are displayed. If things are running correctly you'll probably see "bitcoin server starting"

Using the steps above open another command prompt and try namecoind commands like "namecoind listreceivedbyaddress 0 true" which should output something like:

Code: Select all

[
    {
        "address" : "N7YKecQKmzDnRHUvkQ734yzbNiDsk3xNgg",
        "account" : "",
        "label" : "",
        "amount" : 0.00000000,
        "confirmations" : 0
    }
]
where "N7YKecQKmzDnRHUvkQ734yzbNiDsk3xNgg" is your namecoin address.

Namecoin uses the same technology as bitcoin, but the block chain is different. As for what to do next, I decided to try out a namecoin mining pool. To try one yourself read the information available at this site http://bitparking.com/pool. If you would like to generate namecoins read the output of "namecoind --help", or grab a mining client, GUI Miner is a decent start http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=3878.0.