Bad luck with this low difficulty

navigator

Bad luck with this low difficulty

Post by navigator »

I've been waiting to mine at this low difficulty since a few weeks ago. I learned the software and mined at bitparking for a few days just to get started then went back to bitcoin. The difficulty came slightly faster than expected and I was an hour or two late getting started. I have 640 mh/s and sometimes I let my gtx 460 add 66mh/s. I debated on whether to mine solo or not. When I learned how fast the next difficulty would be coming I figured it would be best to be in a pool since I would only have a few days to mine. I ended up mining at bitparking and watched the pool's total speed climb fast. I already expected a lot of people to switch over temporarily. The next day while checking my stats I noticed I had found a block. Cool I thought, but not surprising. Later that evening I noticed I had found another block. Oh man, I should have been solo mining. 100 namecoins is a lot more than the 20 or so I mined. Plus I had read a few forum posts about others finding a few blocks in 1 day with around the same mhash and a few others not finding any after 1 day.

So I been soloing for 29 hours now and haven't found a block. And with 15 hours or so left I don't know if I will. If I don't then all my time was wasted and I should have stayed in the pool. I even switched back to the pool for a few hours before deciding I have to stick this out and wait if I want a block. It's not so much about the profit I just wanted to mine a block by myself, for the fun of it. The next difficulty will be out of my reach and bitcoin is long past that point. I'm now wondering if I should go back to the pool with what little time is left.

caston

Re: Bad luck with this low difficulty

Post by caston »

Wow. Cool Story. ;)

Yeah I miss the days when it was 512 and 290.. wish I had of mined a lot more then sold them at .15 instead of trying to horde the few thousand I had expecting them to reach parity any day now...

navigator

Post by navigator »

I finally found one! Block 17710 is mine! :D

I bet the early days were fun when the average person could still solo mine. Now I have to decide whether to save these for a while or sell soon.

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

My CPUs were quite happy when it was 512 and 290 :p
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

navigator

Post by navigator »

Lol I bet they were. You guys sure love to rub being first in hah. I know I would too. I've only been mining a month. If I had known about all this last year or even early this year I would definitely have been on board. I always like the idea of folding@home and seti@home. I even did both for a while in the early 2000's. I stopped because I didn't like the fact I was paying for electricity with almost nothing in return. The only thing I've bought so for is 2 5830's. They've almost paid for themselves so i'm happy. I have a few more pc's but no cards for them. I'm thinking of getting 2 more cards if I can find them. I'm excited about merged-mining coming up soon. I've made 80nmc and still counting in the last 3 days. I wish I had those 2 blocks bitparking got from me haha oh well

doublec

Post by doublec »

navigator wrote:I wish I had those 2 blocks bitparking got from me haha oh well
On the other hand bitparking has had some invalid blocks recently. 13 blocks orphaned over the last week or so. I fthose two blocks you found were orphaned you'd be less happy as a solo miner but bitparking paid them out anyway.