[masterpool.eu] DISCONTINUED - shut down at the end of Feb

johntobey253

Re: [masterpool.eu] Merged Mining - 1% Fee - TX fees distrib

Post by johntobey253 »

I find something wrong, and I have TCP packet dumps in case you want to read them. The main symptom is that I get lots (hundreds) of shares and then suddenly the reject rate jumps from 0 to over 50%. I looked at a network traffic dump and saw what looks like invalid HTTP from us01.masterpool.eu. My computer sends a request, yours sends a response, they go through the TCP FIN/ACK sequence, and then, after the connection is supposedly closed, yours sends an HTTP 404 Bad Request response. Mine (rightly, I think) sends TCP reset packets in response.

This strangeness is not at the level of the getwork protocol and may be the fault of my (custom) mining software. I will have to become more familiar with getwork to see who is at fault for the rejects. But switching to coinotron.com solves it. And switching back to masterpool is okay for a while until the rejects reappear. I'm perplexed.

nodemaster

Post by nodemaster »

johntobey253 wrote:I find something wrong, and I have TCP packet dumps in case you want to read them. The main symptom is that I get lots (hundreds) of shares and then suddenly the reject rate jumps from 0 to over 50%. I looked at a network traffic dump and saw what looks like invalid HTTP from us01.masterpool.eu. My computer sends a request, yours sends a response, they go through the TCP FIN/ACK sequence, and then, after the connection is supposedly closed, yours sends an HTTP 404 Bad Request response. Mine (rightly, I think) sends TCP reset packets in response.
Unfortunately I still don't know your user ID/name ;) thus I can only guess. Yesterday I watched a client with strange behaviour on US01. Have a look at the attachment. Don't know if this was you, but the huge number of close waits comes from one client. The DoS protection however first throttled and then banned the client IP. If you want to know for sure, please get in touch with me and send me your ID/name.

Perhaps there is an issue with the network connection, delaying some packets and your timeout is way too short (standard with phoenix). If you already sent FIN/ACK it is correct for your client to respond with RST in order to tear down the connection. Unfortunately the DoS protection might interpret this as TCP RST attack. At the time of the high occurency of CW monitoring didn't show high FIN WAIT 1/2. Thus the only thing that comes to my mind is that the route to you is loosing/delaying packets :|

Things you may want to check:

- Check the hops to the server with something like: "mtr -s 1500 -r -c 1000 -i 0.1 us01.masterpool.eu" and post the output.
- Check the 404 Responses sequence number (to make sure they came after FIN/ACK but has an earlier TCP sequence number).
- Please check whether or not the problem occurs on EU01 as well. US01 is an amazon server and I'm not really content with it's Amazons Cloud network performance :? Perhaps this is an issue with Amazon. I'm already searching for alternatives.
- Make sure to add a worker for each miner. The DoS protection throttles for hopefully sane values based on ONE miner for each worker. If you mount all your miners to one worker the protection will kick in.
- Check if the problem occurs with another miner. Especially Phoenix tries to aggressively open/close connections and tries to resend TCP packets after a very short timeout. AFAIR slush already tried to contact the developers for this issue.
johntobey253 wrote:This strangeness is not at the level of the getwork protocol and may be the fault of my (custom) mining software. I will have to become more familiar with getwork to see who is at fault for the rejects. But switching to coinotron.com solves it. And switching back to masterpool is okay for a while until the rejects reappear. I'm perplexed.
As far as I know MasterPool has a quite unique setup using the MIS concept. But it relies heavily on fast TCP/IP connections and well implemented mining protocol.
Attachments
cw_image.png
cw_image.png (14.33 KiB) Viewed 22444 times
Access .bit domains with Firefox in 4 easy steps: https://masterpool.eu/proxy
MasterPool Namecoin Mining Pool

nodemaster

Post by nodemaster »

At the moment the pool cluster seem to face a DDoS. Please find more information here: https://www.masterpool.eu/jumble/comment/27

nodemaster

Post by nodemaster »

I disabled automatic merged mining activation as I don't want to start it without having an eye on it under this circumstances :| I'll activate it by hand as soon as I got some sleep and the DDoS settles.

M8R

Post by M8R »

You are an idiot. We told you not to start merged mining. I have always been bothered by the fact that you are the driving force behind this shitload of crap. I know what you are planning. Together with slush and cosurgi you are pulling the strings in too many projects. Now watch us beat the shit out of your pool. Better listen next time.

nodemaster

Post by nodemaster »

M8R wrote:You are an idiot. We told you not to start merged mining. I have always been bothered by the fact that you are the driving force behind this shitload of crap. I know what you are planning. Together with slush and cosurgi you are pulling the strings in too many projects. Now watch us beat the shit out of your pool. Better listen next time.
Is this some kind of conspiracy theory? What do you want to achieve now? I can shut down MasterPool. It won't stop merged mining. The code is ready and tested on many pools. You can't bring down the idea of merged mining. So is this against me or is it against merged mining?

And what the heck do you think who I am? Really I don't know what you are talking about...

M8R

Post by M8R »

nodemaster wrote:
M8R wrote:You are an idiot. We told you not to start merged mining. I have always been bothered by the fact that you are the driving force behind this shitload of crap. I know what you are planning. Together with slush and cosurgi you are pulling the strings in too many projects. Now watch us beat the shit out of your pool. Better listen next time.
Is this some kind of conspiracy theory? What do you want to achieve now? I can shut down MasterPool. It won't stop merged mining. The code is ready and tested on many pools. You can't bring down the idea of merged mining. So is this against me or is it against merged mining?

And what the heck do you think who I am? Really I don't know what you are talking about...
You are Marcel Kossin member of the Honeynet Project, working on several security projects like http://www.honeynet.org/node/591. Cryptocurrencies and pool software must be a big playground for a security expert. But we take bitcoin serious. Don't mess with it. We are watching you.

nodemaster

Post by nodemaster »

M8R wrote:
nodemaster wrote:

You are Marcel Kossin member of the Honeynet Project, working on several security projects like http://www.honeynet.org/node/591. Cryptocurrencies and pool software must be a big playground for a security expert. But we take bitcoin serious. Don't mess with it. We are watching you.
Oh wow, now THAT'S as doxx! *yawn* Good to see you are able to use google. Really neither nodemaster nor Marcel Kossin is a big secret. So what's your problem? Don't you like whitehats? I already found out, that there are way too many (known) blackhats on this whole cryptocurrency stuff. Sorry if you feel intimidated by me 8-) but I'm here to stay. So get used to me. I'm watching you as well :ugeek:

And yes you are right. I'm really interested in cryptocurrencies (like I guess everybody here). But the best thing is that I can watch all you grey-/blackhats conveniently in one place even scheming against one another. And honestly, I'm pretty sure this is the thing that really bothers you ;)

nodemaster

Post by nodemaster »

ATM it doesn't make any sense to mine on the pool. We have 80k+ incoming connections from a Botnet. Unfortunately I have no possibility at hand to filter the connections (as they are coming from several IP addresses). For that reason I'll shut down the mining ingress servers. Unfortunately this means you can not mine on MasterPool. But we need the hashing power on NMC blockchain and I just hope most miners have configured a fallback and will be switching to another pool.

MasterPool will be back as soon as the storm is over (and I got some sleep).

johntobey253

Post by johntobey253 »

After your nap and the storm... :)
nodemaster wrote:Unfortunately I still don't know your user ID/name
USER264. Well, it makes sense that my software is doing something wrong (inadvertently) and getting booted as an attacker. Good that you have such controls. Apologies for the "attack" if that's what happened.

I do not control the actual miner, I run a sort of proxy pool. I pass User-Agent through unmodified and have generally one worker (w1, w2, ...) for each miner, but they all have "USER264.proxy" as a fallback. I did try EU01 with poor results, but I didn't look as closely there.
nodemaster wrote:mtr -s 1500 -r -c 1000 -i 0.1 us01.masterpool.eu
Sending output in PM.

I don't have time right now to dig deeper. I would like to rule out stupid things like my script sending more than content-length bytes before I bother you for more help. Thanks.