NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

davux

Re: Official namecoin unit

Post by davux »

An uppercase, 3-letter currency code is actually an ISO-4217 code (e.g. EUR, USD, etc.), so if we're going to pick a code we'd be better off following that standard's conventions.

So I would say XNC is the appropriate name (and bitcoin should use XBC, btw, or will anyway whenever ISO standardizes it). Could you please add it to the list of choices?

tysat

Post by tysat »

5/5 now... Still need more votes!
If I helped you out:
BTC: 1LabGXUN3rDgKpFrwG3zqh22UK11JEg5bb
NMC: N8ujgSozU4ctR2kDKiGMBVSysCtVKMGGdh

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

davux wrote:So I would say XNC is the appropriate name (and bitcoin should use XBC, btw, or will anyway whenever ISO standardizes it). Could you please add it to the list of choices?
Hum, it would reset votes. Should i do it ?
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

moa

Post by moa »

davux wrote:An uppercase, 3-letter currency code is actually an ISO-4217 code (e.g. EUR, USD, etc.), so if we're going to pick a code we'd be better off following that standard's conventions.

So I would say XNC is the appropriate name (and bitcoin should use XBC, btw, or will anyway whenever ISO standardizes it). Could you please add it to the list of choices?
I'm actually partial to the X-prefix (uniX in old days everything was X this or that), but saying that we are over-throwing an entire monetary order :) and centralised doman name serving thrown in for the bargain, so respecting standards is only useful if it works for us ... can we gain by being an upstart? and using NMC or NC, BTC ...?

Average man on street doesn't know how international currency codes work (maybe they'll get used to X's everywhere :) ) But established exchanges will appreciate the ease of integration .... tough one.

tysat

Post by tysat »

moa wrote:Average man on street doesn't know how international currency codes work (maybe they'll get used to X's everywhere :) ) But established exchanges will appreciate the ease of integration .... tough one.
I think that's the biggest reason to go with something simple. Might as well do NMC because it follows a similar pattern to using BTC.
If I helped you out:
BTC: 1LabGXUN3rDgKpFrwG3zqh22UK11JEg5bb
NMC: N8ujgSozU4ctR2kDKiGMBVSysCtVKMGGdh

moa

Post by moa »

Actually just thought of possible reason why a leading X maybe unhelpful to uptake. If there are lot of other chains then at first glance it will look like

XBC
XNC
XTC
XAU
XSL

and the tl;dr sets in. The eye catches the first letter more than the others. What if the X was suffix, so that still kind of intl. currency code compatible but keep leading letter for ease of differentiation?
E.g.

BCX
NCX

(Might be all wet on this one. But why does the standard use the prefix X, it would seem to give preference to ease of differentiation with the local currencies, USD, EUR, GBP, CHF, JPY, etc. ... going off having any X at all the more I look at these. If bitcoin were associated with a sovereign state in cyberspace we wouldn't have the X prefix right?)

BTC
NMC

davux

Post by davux »

We do not need to adopt XNC or XBC for common use. We can totally choose BTC, NMC, NC, even BTX, NCX or whatever looks nice.

Now, what will happen when the ISO decides/agrees to include Namecoin and/or Bitcoin in the officially recognized currency codes? There's absolutely no way they'll write in BTC or NMC, let alone NC. The reason is that BTC would mean it's a currency issued by the government of Bhutan (because of the leading "BT").

So what will happen is that they'll choose a 3-letter code that's compliant with their naming scheme: X-something (for example XBC, XNC). So we'll have 2 different acronyms for each currency: BTC/XBC, NMC/XNC (or NC/XNC).

In short: we can use whatever we want, and discuss which one is nicer (suffixed X, 2 letters, etc.), but the ISO won't standardize any of that and we'll have 2 concurrent codes. So the problem boils down to: do we want that? I personally don't, but others might think it's not a big deal.

tommy

Post by tommy »

I voted for NMC because I prefer it over NC and there was no other options in this poll. However if we can vote for alternatives not in this poll, I'd vote for XNC. Why? Well, standards are useful and makes what is being communicated more unambiguous and clear. Why not voluntarily comply to ISO standards, if it benefits us as well as them? Making integration easier only helps the guy trying to get integrated.

That said, the XBC currency code seems to have already been used (historically?): https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Account_9

How would ISO react to that? Would they object to assigning XBC to bitcoin but not XNC to namecoin? If they would object, there is a benefit to be considered to choose BTC and NMC instead, so they follow the same naming convention at least.

I wouldn't think that the bitcoin project would like to change from the already quite established BTC to XBC. So maybe we should stick with NMC anyway?