Revise the URL anathomy

steinbitglis

Revise the URL anathomy

Post by steinbitglis »

Traditional URL's are in fact counter-intuitive. I really want to change, once and for all, the reversed order of importance.

I think it would be better if they looked like.

Code: Select all

org.dot-bit/forum/posting.php
or maybe even

org/dot-bit/forum/posting.php
The difference between '.' and '/' does not actually have a meaning because one
server can serve lots of domains alone, or many can serve a single domain.

Consider:

<protocol>://<domain>:<port>/<query string>
or (many browsers support this):

<protocol>:<domain>:<port>/<query string>
Here the details of locating a resource is split between <domain> and <query string>. The two should have been the same.

A more advance proposal:

<protocol>:<port>:<query string>
If this scheme had been used, we would at the moment be browsing "org/dot-bit/forum/posting.php" ("http:80:" would be implicit prefix).

(I don't know if this is even relevant, but for all I know, it might be).

steinbitglis

Re: Revise the URL anathomy

Post by steinbitglis »

I'm surprised none has answered this suggestion. I don't expect anyone in the world would be able to fix this, but it's hard to deny that the internet could have been better.

The more I think of this, the more sense it makes, but with 59 people viewing this post and no replies it's just sad. If we ever get a chance to change the stupid url system, it will be through namecoin. There has never been a better opportunity to make such a change without breaking virtually every existing networking program on the internet. As a bonus, this change sets namecoin addresses apart from traditional urls visually without breaking backward-compatibility. Since dot-bit addresses don't work without taking making changes to the software, it's better to have a system that is visually different. That way people won't make the mistake and think that a dot-bit server is down, when it actually isn't (the url/browser is in fact incompatible).

Give me something... I'm not the only one who cares...

moa

Re: Revise the URL anathomy

Post by moa »

I hear ya ... might be too late already for namecoin though.

Couldn't you just have a browser add-on that does what your are asking for to the Navigation Toolbar though?

Mostly, the sub-page http:// strings are getting incomprehensibly filled with cookies, tokens, etc now so that it is only the portal to the site that is important in terms of human recognizable names anyway ... so just reverse order those and you are done.