Merged Mining is Not Enough - Copying Solidcoin Diff Algo

zamgo

Merged Mining is Not Enough - Copying Solidcoin Diff Algo

Post by zamgo »

The planned roll-out of merged mining is great. But it's not enough.

Adoption of merged mining is uncertain. The *rate* of pools adopting merged mining is uncertain. It could be a long while after the roll-out before enough pools get on board to have any effect on the namecoin network at all.

Time to think seriously about adopting the solidcoin difficulty algorithm. The solidcoin developer seemed to have paid attention to what happened to namecoin difficulty, and has created an interesting solution.

moa

Re: Merged Mining is Not Enough - Copying Solidcoin Diff Alg

Post by moa »

zamgo wrote:The planned roll-out of merged mining is great. But it's not enough.

Adoption of merged mining is uncertain. The *rate* of pools adopting merged mining is uncertain. It could be a long while after the roll-out before enough pools get on board to have any effect on the namecoin network at all.

Time to think seriously about adopting the solidcoin difficulty algorithm. The solidcoin developer seemed to have paid attention to what happened to namecoin difficulty, and has created an interesting solution.
I agree.

The 2016 block difficulty adjustment has been shown in numerous situations to be less than optimal. Other solutions need considering also.

Crypto-currencies are a very new technology and any aversion to rapid development will be fatal. Evolve or die.

vinced

Post by vinced »

moa wrote:
zamgo wrote:The planned roll-out of merged mining is great. But it's not enough.

I agree.

The 2016 block difficulty adjustment has been shown in numerous situations to be less than optimal. Other solutions need considering also.

Crypto-currencies are a very new technology and any aversion to rapid development will be fatal. Evolve or die.
I'll take a look at their solution and see if it's robust. I am worried that it might open the door for timing attacks if not done correctly.

We will have to schedule another start block if we adopt this. Lets first see how we do on merged mining adoption.
!v | Namecoin founder | https://dot-bit.org/

tysat

Post by tysat »

I think merged mining will probably be enough to fix namecoin. It may take some time for it to be widely adopted, but once a few decent sized pools have it the difficulty will fix itself.
If I helped you out:
BTC: 1LabGXUN3rDgKpFrwG3zqh22UK11JEg5bb
NMC: N8ujgSozU4ctR2kDKiGMBVSysCtVKMGGdh

zamgo

Post by zamgo »

vinced wrote:Lets first see how we do on merged mining adoption.
Yea, probably best to do 1 thing at a time.

In the meantime, popcorn at the ready as [solid,ix,i0]coin diff algo's play out.