Hosting

indolering

Re: Hosting

Post by indolering »

phelix wrote: But I expect the move to take much longer than a day - based on how long it took last time.
I think the major holdup last time was coordination. It shouldn't take more than a few hours to install MediaWiki, phpBB, and setup a git repo + an hourly cron daemon to pull the latest changes. Restoring backups and installing our plugins shouldn't be too much work.
phelix wrote: There is also the namecoin client for the explorer running on the server and some other stuff I am not sure we still need (Jenkins).
Well, that could be useful later on.... Aren't we running a coin explorer for HunterCoin?
phelix wrote: http://www.easyweb.com/ ?

As I said before IMHO the server should stay in Europe.

All in all I am for staying at OVH.
Their Canadian, so no NSL's and EasyDNS (the parent company) fights legal battles for their users. However, after trying out their system I'm just not impressed.

I've got emails out to a few more web hosts, but I'm not optimistic that we can find one with proper multi-user account access outside the US. The only shared hoster I can find with real multi-user accounts is Dreamhost, Bluehost seems to use CPanel (which doesn't support true multi-user accounts) and HostGator and GoDaddy are the worst-of-the-worst. Even Media Temple doesn't offer true multi-user access on their shared hosting accounts. NFS has pretty bare-bones options (no auto-updating) and I didn't bother trying to evaluate their multi-user account system. I personally like Dreamhost, but I rely on pretty heavily on CloudFlare to reduce server load and they are based in the US.

Would Huntercoin be willing to kick in 50% on hosting costs?

If so I would be okay with moving to a single shared VM for the forum, website, and wiki and control access via standard Unix user accounts as long as someone sets up auto-updating. At least then everything would be on ONE system instead of 3 different VMs.

Thoughts? Ryan, would that bring the complexity level/admin time down?
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

I'll defer to Ryan on this, but I think having multiple systems in a single VM will decrease security. Defense-in-depth is a good practice.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:Would Huntercoin be willing to kick in 50% on hosting costs?
Snailbrain will have to comment on this, but as far as I know, he doesn't have any meaningful funds available either. (Like 12k HUC in total, but that's almost nothing and reserved in part also for Namecoin bounties like the rebase projects.)

Someone stepped up and is paying for an OVH VPS for Huntercoin now, which provides a blockchain download. The VPS is also hosting Namecoin nodes (main- and testnet, chain.huntercoin.org, as well as a Tor middle relay), so it is of mutual benefit. I could move the block explorer there, although I have no idea how to do it (never touched it before). If you want, I can host a signed Namecoin blockchain download there, too.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering

Post by indolering »

domob wrote: Someone stepped up and is paying for an OVH VPS for Huntercoin now, which provides a blockchain download. The VPS is also hosting Namecoin nodes (main- and testnet, chain.huntercoin.org, as well as a Tor middle relay), so it is of mutual benefit. I could move the block explorer there, although I have no idea how to do it (never touched it before). If you want, I can host a signed Namecoin blockchain download there, too.
So the Huntercoin stuff is no longer dependent on our hardware?

indolering

Post by indolering »

biolizard89 wrote:I'll defer to Ryan on this, but I think having multiple systems in a single VM will decrease security. Defense-in-depth is a good practice.
AFAIK, that's what shared hosting is.

Speaking of which, Hostpoint is Swiss based, offers multi-user account access, and would run us $10/month. I think it would cover all of our current hosting needs.

Ryan, do you want to step in and comment on what would most reduce the complexity of the current setup?

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:
domob wrote: Someone stepped up and is paying for an OVH VPS for Huntercoin now, which provides a blockchain download. The VPS is also hosting Namecoin nodes (main- and testnet, chain.huntercoin.org, as well as a Tor middle relay), so it is of mutual benefit. I could move the block explorer there, although I have no idea how to do it (never touched it before). If you want, I can host a signed Namecoin blockchain download there, too.
So the Huntercoin stuff is no longer dependent on our hardware?
No, it currently is. But we could relocate, although I'd prefer not to do it - I have no idea how the explorer works, how much disk it uses and all that stuff. But as I said, this will be for snailbrain to decide and negotiate with the admins of the new server.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

indolering

Post by indolering »

domob wrote: If you want, I can host a signed Namecoin blockchain download there, too.
I somehow missed this but it would be really nice if you could do that. I've been meaning to for the past year, but it's a lot of work to get up and running securely.

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:
domob wrote: If you want, I can host a signed Namecoin blockchain download there, too.
I somehow missed this but it would be really nice if you could do that. I've been meaning to for the past year, but it's a lot of work to get up and running securely.
Well, I would just tar the .namecoin folder of the node running there from time to time and sign a hash value with my key. I can't promise that the server is secure, although I do my best to disable all unnecessary stuff and all that.

But I can do it and update from time to time.

indolering

Post by indolering »

domob wrote:
indolering wrote:
Well, I would just tar the .namecoin folder of the node running there from time to time and sign a hash value with my key. I can't promise that the server is secure, although I do my best to disable all unnecessary stuff and all that.

But I can do it and update from time to time.
Actually, on second-thought, don't do that. If it's not a bootstrap.dat, then we have to worry about someone hacking into that server to steal Namecoins. People can wait 3 hours for the UTXO version, you have more important stuff to work on.