Human Readable Tor/Onion Names - How to call it?

phelix

Human Readable Tor/Onion Names - How to call it?

Post by phelix »

It would be nice to have a catchy name for .bit --> .onion resolution.

Tornames? (Just sent a mail to the Tor guys whether this is ok).

Onionnames?

?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

cassini

Re: Human Readable Tor/Onion Names - How to call it?

Post by cassini »

Nametor?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Do we need a separate name? Right now I'm just calling it ".bit to .onion resolution"... I'm not sure that this feature needs its own catchy name.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

phelix wrote:It would be nice to have a catchy name for .bit --> .onion resolution.

Tornames? (Just sent a mail to the Tor guys whether this is ok).

Onionnames?

?
Technically doesn't bring something new but also doesn't cost anything to give a new name.
However it could bring an additional marketing push, more popularity and more understanding for Namecoin from a different perspective.
People who are not aware of Namecoin but are frustrated by the unmemorable Tor addresses could understand Namecoin as a service which is taking care of their needs.
It is also a good idea to involve the Tor developers to find a proper name accepted by them also.
Thanks Phelix.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

phelix

Post by phelix »

It seems I won't get a reply from Jacob but: Oops, I just found they have an FAQ for this: https://www.torproject.org/docs/trademark-faq.html.en

So they are sissies and we should not use the syllable "tor" at all. Crap.

Certainly this is mostly for marketing. But from personal experience I can tell that if you give a task / project a name it also makes development easier and increases motivation.

Onionnames
.bit to .onion resolution (a bit bulky)

Gatenames (for i2p / freenet / etc., too)
Namegates

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:It seems I won't get a reply from Jacob but: Oops, I just found they have an FAQ for this: https://www.torproject.org/docs/trademark-faq.html.en

Certainly this is mostly for marketing. But from personal experience I can tell that if you give a task / project a name it also makes development easier and increases motivation.

Onionnames

Namegates
I would personally prefer that Dot-Bit get attention rather than a new name that we come up with that won't be automatically associated with Dot-Bit. Is it a problem just to say "Dot-Bit supports DNS for Tor hidden services!" rather than "Onionnames supports DNS for Tor hidden services!"? The fact that Dot-Bit has a large feature set doesn't make it a bad name to use for this, IMHO.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:It seems I won't get a reply from Jacob but: Oops, I just found they have an FAQ for this: https://www.torproject.org/docs/trademark-faq.html.en

Onionnames

Namegates
I would personally prefer that Dot-Bit get attention rather than a new name that we come up with that won't be automatically associated with Dot-Bit. Is it a problem just to say "Dot-Bit supports DNS for Tor hidden services!" rather than "Onionnames supports DNS for Tor hidden services!"? The fact that Dot-Bit has a large feature set doesn't make it a bad name to use for this, IMHO.
I meant it the other way round:

Dot-Bit, featuring:
.bit domain names
Secure Namecoin TLS
Gatenames: Tor/i2p/freenet human readable domain resolution

Admittedly the bulky version works ok, too.