Donations/Fees to get on Exchange List

phelix

Donations/Fees to get on Exchange List

Post by phelix »

To raise some funds for the project we are considering asking exchanges to donate/pay to get listed on the Namecoin website.

Suggestions so far were to order exchanges by the amount they donated or a multi tiered list (bronze, silver, gold levels). Could also be a combination of these or something completely different.

http://namecoin.info/beta/?p=exchanges
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Re: Donations/Fees to get on Exchange List

Post by domob »

I'm fine with either option. However, do you really want to list Vircurex even in the "Basic" category? They seemingly messed up very badly some weeks ago. And it seems they don't even try to be supportive and instead just don't communicate about their state at all. (Disclaimer: I used Vircurex to buy most my Namecoins myself and had coins there when they announced the freezing, but was able to get out with no big losses.)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

ccedk

Post by ccedk »

Do you guys know who to contact in regards to have namecoin listed on exchange platform?

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

ccedk wrote:Do you guys know who to contact in regards to have namecoin listed on exchange platform?
the exchange ? :D

phelix

Post by phelix »

domob wrote:I'm fine with either option. However, do you really want to list Vircurex even in the "Basic" category? They seemingly messed up very badly some weeks ago. And it seems they don't even try to be supportive and instead just don't communicate about their state at all. (Disclaimer: I used Vircurex to buy most my Namecoins myself and had coins there when they announced the freezing, but was able to get out with no big losses.)
Hmm, I think this is not for us to decide unless it is an extreme case - Vircurex does not seem to be doing so bad. All exchanges will be hacked at some point. :mrgreen:

What I am still wondering is how to get recurring payments but still keep the hassle down to a minimum. Maybe quarterly payments? yearly? give a rebate for yearly payments?

How large should a donation be to get into gold/silver/bronze level?

edit:
from https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/btce/nmcbtc I estimate there are about 30k NMC traded per day on average, by far most on btc-e. This makes for a revenue of 120NMC per day (0.2% from both sides so actually half of it is in BTC / USD). ~43800NMC per year.

1% of that would be 438NMC per year.

What about 1000/300/100?

Also I suggest filling up the levels from left to right so that early birds have an advantage.

IMHO Kraken should have an honorary silver level as they help us with libcoin.

phelix

Post by phelix »

Website is rolled out less than an hour and we got the first request. I need some input on this!

domob

Post by domob »

phelix wrote:Website is rolled out less than an hour and we got the first request. I need some input on this!
I have no real idea about the pricings - but yes, we should try to get regular payments. 1000/300/100 per year sounds good, although in fact a bit low when you compare it to, for instance, what the Bitcoin Foundation wanted for Platinum membership even some years ago. Did you get a concrete offer?

Regarding Kraken, I think it is fair to put them on the list as honorary member. But I think it should be mentioned somewhere that this is due to their contributions on libcoin and not due to a donation, so that everything is transparent and no-one can hold it against us when they find it out.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering

Post by indolering »

Bitcoin Foundation pricing:

Platinum: $100,000
Gold: $25,000
Silver, large: $5,000
Silver, medium: $2,500
Silver, small: $1,000
Lifetime: $250
Individual: $25

They have a single platinum member, 5 gold members, and a shitload of silver members. What if we broke it down by volume, with gold at 10%, silver at 5%, and bronze at 1%? I'm not sure how we would audit non-exchange-based businesses, such as registrars.

We should get some referral tracking program in addition to the membership levels to handle sorting within categories.

I think we should have a special category/badge for exchanges that give back in terms of code and community leadership. It could act as a secondary sorting mechanism, so if you give back substantial time and effort into the codebase it would pin you to the top of whatever membership category you are in.

Ugh, we need web devs!
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
domob wrote:I'm fine with either option. However, do you really want to list Vircurex even in the "Basic" category? They seemingly messed up very badly some weeks ago. And it seems they don't even try to be supportive and instead just don't communicate about their state at all. (Disclaimer: I used Vircurex to buy most my Namecoins myself and had coins there when they announced the freezing, but was able to get out with no big losses.)
Hmm, I think this is not for us to decide unless it is an extreme case - Vircurex does not seem to be doing so bad. All exchanges will be hacked at some point. :mrgreen:

What I am still wondering is how to get recurring payments but still keep the hassle down to a minimum. Maybe quarterly payments? yearly? give a rebate for yearly payments?

edit:
from https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/btce/nmcbtc I estimate there are about 30k NMC traded per day on average, by far most on btc-e. This makes for a revenue of 120NMC per day (0.2% from both sides so actually half of it is in BTC / USD). ~43800NMC per year.

What about 1000/300/100?

Also I suggest filling up the levels from left to right so that early birds have an advantage.

I'm not good with numbers, whatever you guys decide is fine. Might be good to make explicit that we might revise the numbers after the end of the yearly period. Kraken certainly has earned a special status, although as domob said this should be tranaparent.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

John Kenney

Post by John Kenney »

phelix wrote:

edit:

What about 1000/300/100?

Vircurex was so buggy they didn't need to get hacked. You need to have some standards. Only incompetent exchanges get hacked or allow people to lose money with such huge bugs. Several other exchanges are really shady too. If you can try not to promote a big scam exchange it'll not damage namecoin's reputation as much.