Change the expire time of a domain

khal
Site Admin

Change the expire time of a domain

Post by khal »

Default expire time of a domain is set to 12000 blocks => ~83 days.
That means you need to do a name_update (0.01NC) each 83 days not to lose your domain.

It think it is a little short and would propose something like 6 months minimum.

What do you think ?
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

Nesetalis

Re: Change the expire time of a domain

Post by Nesetalis »

id say 90 days... since the only reason to do it at 3 months is because of the burden of buying/selling $
Bitcoins/Namecoins dont have that burden.. just scale the cost to the time.

gsan

Post by gsan »

To my intuition, the optimal would be at least 4 months (120 days), based on my idea about how humans work. :D We don't want it to be too long, but we don't want people to forget either. Good thing is, this will be totally automated at some point, but still, I think 83 days is maybe slightly short. :) How about 18000 or 24000 blocks?

@Nesetalis: I don't agree with scaling the cost. It would be nice to have a predictable set time for unmaintained domains to expire.
bitcoin:13uSLCLqURqjJkfH6ny56h65oF6bfsVik1
namecoin:NEuYvWtQ8pZzFx7sAnfjeRVtzvieCWF5Ug

Nesetalis

Post by Nesetalis »

scaling the cost wouldnt scale the time.. pay your fee as a set toll.. they will know what the toll is before hand, and the toll goes for the ammount of time.. but the toll would change depending on the economic landscape.

gst

Post by gst »

In my opinion something like 6 months is still somewhat too short. One main reason to let domains expire after some amount of time is to free up old unused domains. But for this purpose an expiry time of 1 year (or even more) would still be sufficient (IMO).

On the other hand, short expiry times imply that I would need to regularly spend time updating my domains. I think it's reasonable doing this once per year (as in the case of traditional domains), but needing to do this multiple times per year might be too often for some of the users. In addition, having such short expiry times means that users are at risk of loosing their domains in case of longer times of unexpected hospitalization (e.g., due to accidents) or in case of other reasons that prevent them from updating the domain.

Of course, it would be possible to work around this problem if someone creates a "registry" that takes care of regularly updating the domains. But even in the case of multiple independent registries this would decrease the level of decentralisation and therefore introduce a single point of failure.

gsan

Post by gsan »

gst wrote:Of course, it would be possible to work around this problem if someone creates a "registry" that takes care of regularly updating the domains. But even in the case of multiple independent registries this would decrease the level of decentralisation and therefore introduce a single point of failure.
Registries + Adding automatic update function to local tools (e.g. namecoind)
bitcoin:13uSLCLqURqjJkfH6ny56h65oF6bfsVik1
namecoin:NEuYvWtQ8pZzFx7sAnfjeRVtzvieCWF5Ug

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

gst wrote:In my opinion something like 6 months is still somewhat too short. One main reason to let domains expire after some amount of time is to free up old unused domains. But for this purpose an expiry time of 1 year (or even more) would still be sufficient (IMO).
One point. I don't know what to "choose" between 6m and 1y (but not more, and not less).
gst wrote:Of course, it would be possible to work around this problem if someone creates a "registry" that takes care of regularly updating the domains. But even in the case of multiple independent registries this would decrease the level of decentralisation and therefore introduce a single point of failure.
Registries may not want an automatic update because of unpaid domains (another option to add in the conf : automaticRenew=false for ex). Today, an update cost 0.01NC, but it may be more expensive in the futur.

working_unit_0

Post by working_unit_0 »

khal wrote:Default expire time of a domain is set to 12000 blocks => ~83 days.
That means you need to do a name_update (0.01NC) each 83 days not to lose your domain.

It think it is a little short and would propose something like 6 months minimum.

What do you think ?
Ill think it must be around 1 year.

micah

Post by micah »

I think it should work like it works now with domain registrations. People register domains for a minimum of 1 year, but they can register for longer periods by paying more, sometimes getting a discount for paying in advance.

on another subject, I read somewhere that a registered domain is automatically renewed if your namecoin client is connected to the network, is that true?
donate your spare namecoins: NJB5H1pPx9BTjaCVnuHK5T913KHspEP8CL

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

micah wrote:on another subject, I read somewhere that a registered domain is automatically renewed if your namecoin client is connected to the network, is that true?
It's not true yet.